300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILEA Plainfield

FYI looks like things are drastically changing over at ILEA beginning in 2009. Distance learning is gone, smaller classes with only 2 squads, no more 4 day weeks (all 5 days now), and the course schedule is completely different than what they've ran in the last few years. Break out weeks are all consecutive and criminal law doesn't start until week 10. Sounds like it will be quite different than what everyone is used to!

From Executive Director Goodpastor's web letter posted mid-summer:

"REMNDER: Beginning immediately we will no longer be utilizing distance learning as part of the Basic Course. In 2009 we will be conducting twelve classes with 35 students in each that is not conducive for distance learning. Make sure and check out the calendar for start and end dates. We will be offering in-service classes using the distance learning technology. Keep checking the website for more information."

Supposed to be better for learning and all that j***. We'll see. They can't make it any worse then it has been the past few years since booting Lt.'s Davis and Baker. Totally different attitude from officers they've been graduating.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I have always wondered why dont they have a option where a recruit could pay for the training and not have to be sponsored by a department. It makes sense and would bring more money to ILEA. I dunno thats just my 2 cents

Comment

Well, they do have that program, actually. It's called the "tuition" program and while there are some complicated steps to it, it's basically, a department signs off on you saying they'll "sponsor" you to be there. They do a background and all that. You have an interview with LETB and basically they give you a yes or no. If you're given the green light, you pay your way through it, probably around $5-6k now I would imagine.

And actually, it wouldn't bring any more money to ILEA because, many people do not know this, but when a police department sends you to the academy, that agency DOES NOT PAY FOR ONE PENNY of the cost. You can thank traffic fines/court costs and the like for that. So, ILEA get's theirs no matter if an agency sends you or you're a tuition recruit.
        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

Ivy Tech in Evansville offers a non-sponsored option for the Southwestern ILEA starting in 2009. I believe they give preference to dept. sponsored officers though.
          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

Originally posted by Groove View Post
            Ivy Tech in Evansville offers a non-sponsored option for the Southwestern ILEA starting in 2009. I believe they give preference to dept. sponsored officers though.
            Looks like it's still going to be the Southwest ILEA, only hosted at Ivy Tech. Which I'm sure means it'll primarily be used for EPD and VSO recruits. I doubt very seriously that there will be a class going on unless there are enough of those two agency's people to just about fill it, if they do allow "tuition" recruits there. Here's an article I found on it:

http://ivytech.edu/about/news-stories/law-031708.html
            __________________________________________________ ___
            Ivy Tech to host Southwest Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
            Ivy Tech Community College has announced that its Evansville campus will serve as the host site for the Southwest Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. The first Academy at Ivy Tech will begin in late March.
            “We are setting ourselves up to be the model for the state,” said Vanderburgh County Sheriff Eric Williams. “We are very excited to have our new law enforcement recruits being trained here at home.”

Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office and Evansville Police Department officers will continue to provide instructors for the Academy courses. “This partnership will serve as a recruitment tool, and it will emphasize the important role education plays in developing successful law enforcement officers,” said Evansville Police Chief Brad Hill.

Academy graduates will receive 22 college credit hours applicable to a specialized Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Criminal Justice. Ivy Tech launched its Criminal Justice program at the Evansville campus in 2004 and the program has a current enrollment of more than 175 students. The program addresses the educational needs of those working in public and private agencies and facilities, including law enforcement, adult and juvenile correctional facilities, victim advocacy, protective services and other such human rights agencies.

“Ivy Tech is well-positioned, as the state’s community college, to serve as a partner and host site for the Academy,” said Dan Schenk, Chancellor of Ivy Tech’s Evansville campus. “This will definitely be a benefit and a convenience for the community and local law enforcement.”

Ivy Tech Community College is one of the nation’s largest statewide community college systems and the state’s second largest public post-secondary institution with more than 110,000 students enrolled annually. Ivy Tech has 23 campuses throughout Indiana. It serves as the state's engine of workforce development, offering affordable degree programs and training that are aligned with the needs of its community along with courses and programs that transfer to other colleges and universities in Indiana. It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

Another article from the Evansvill Courier Press from March:

Local law enforcement agencies hope a partnership between the Southwest Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and Ivy Tech will set an example for the rest of the state.

College and law enforcement officials announced the partnership Monday afternoon. It has been a long time in development, Evansville Police Department Chief Brad Hill said.

The academy was organized in 2005 to provide training for Southern Indiana law enforcement officers who wanted to stay in their home communities instead of attending the 15-week training program at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in academy's 15-week program will receive 22 college credit hours they can apply toward an associates of applied science degree in criminal justice from Ivy Tech. That is nearly a third of the credit hours needed to earn the degree, said Ivy Tech Chancellor Dan Schenk. More than 175 students are enrolled in the program, which Ivy Tech began in 2004.

This is the first time since the 1960s that a college campus in Indiana will host a law enforcement academy, Hill said.

"We are setting ourselves up to be the model for the state," said Vanderburgh County Sheriff Eric Williams. "We are very excited to have our new law enforcement recruits being trained here at home."

Hill and Williams hope the academy will become more of a regional training center where all participants pay their own way, just like other professional and vocational training programs.

Beginning later this month, cadets no longer will take their classes in the basement rooms of the Evansville Police Department. However, some work, such as firearms and vehicle training, will continue at off-campus locations, such as the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Department's training center on Kansas Road.

"They have really bent over backward to get this here," Hill said. "We haven't given them any extra money to take this on."

The Police Department and Sheriff's Department will continue to provide instructors from their own ranks for the academy courses. For the immediate future, the two departments will pay the bill for their recruits. Participants from outside the city and county still must pay their own tuition and fees, Hill said, approximately $1,200.

"This will definitely be a benefit and a convenience for the community and local law enforcement agencies," Schenk said.

That in turn could help the academy develop and assist area law enforcement agencies find recruits.

"This partnership will serve as a recruitment tool, and it will emphasize the important role education plays in developing successful law enforcement officers," Hill said
            Last edited by towncop; 11-08-2008, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Depending on space availability, students can go to ILEA as part of their school for credits, this is paid for by the students themselves. Their sponsor is considered to be their school. Those spots were hard to fit in previously with the basic classes. Not sure how the changes at ILEA will affect this aspect.

Comment

I don't see this happening. Is there some kind of memo put out by ILEA or the LETB? How is a "student" going to be getting a seat into the "new" ILEA format when they're going to 35 students per class or whatever?? There's no way there would ever be space for a tuition student at Plainfield.

Comment

Five day weeks? Please tell me that's not true. I was looking forward to those three day weekends. I knew about the distance learning and the small class sizes, but not that they changed back to five day weeks. Is it really true? I go to ILEA at the beginning of 2009.

Comment

I'm sure there is someone out there more than willing to take your place at ILEA, since you aren't thrilled about 5 day weeks!
                    Your mom...

Comment

Originally posted by Christyle View Post
                      I'm sure there is someone out there more than willing to take your place at ILEA, since you aren't thrilled about 5 day weeks!
                      Isn't that the truth!!!!
                      sigpic
                      "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

Comment

Let's be honest, the ILEA is a multi-month blur of mostly boring classes that aren't that challenging. The only weeks you really learn anything is the breakout weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by oc10spray View Post
                          Let's be honest, the ILEA is a multi-month blur of mostly boring classes that aren't that challenging. The only weeks you really learn anything is the breakout weeks.
                          Even the breakout weeks can be a real drag. You'll have such fun changing your clothes 9 times a day during firearms and defensive tactics.

Comment

Gezz,

I am glad I didn't go to Plainfield. I went to the IU academy and looking back, it was a blast. I hated it at first, mostly because I wasn't used to the PT, getting "yelled at" (which for us slow types, we figure out the instructors really were not mad at you), etc.. The only thing that sucked for me is that I wasn't 21, so while my fellow cadets were able to hit the clubs and bars, I was stuck partying in the Villas. Our class was extremely lucky, we seemed to have an above average number of instructors/lecturers cancel at the last moment. We had a lot of half days and early outs. Now I hear that when this happens, they fill time with boring "report writing," yuck! While the PT was somewhat of a drag at first (I _hate_ how they made us do push-ups and sit-ups in the mud), it did show the importance of being in shape. Sad thing is I am in better shape now than I was back then and it has been over a decades time. Nothing beats the fun and beauty of the IU campus down in Bloomington during the summer! I also liked that you don't have to live in a dormitory type setting and are able to return home every night with no curfew. I couldn't do a trooper academy out at Plainfield, I would miss my family too much.

Comment

Sorry, but I enjoyed my 12 weeks at ILEA. Of course it was under the guidance of Lt.'s Davis and Baker and the Basic Course Commander was Captain Younce. A big, big difference then when Capt. Mercer and later, Capt. Bridge took over.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3812 users online. 209 members and 3603 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X