300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to vent

I am new to this district and shift. There are two or three officers on my shift that think they work for only their beat only and not the city of Indianapolis. I will take pending runs on the beats around me to help a buddy out and never say one word to them about it, however, if these guys have to drive one beat over and tell someone to turn their stereo down they will send me a message saying "hey i took a run on you just so you know" like hey take care of your beat! these guys are the same guys that let their pending runs pile up and wait for them to be dispatched to other officers for being over the limit while they are marked out on some damn lost puppy run. Question? should i stop helping these guys out with their bull**** report runs and fire off a message back at them when i take one on them, because i do all the time but i don't complain about it? I feel that i work for the City of Indy not just my beat and even if they dispatched me to another district 30 miles away, i'm gonna go take care of it. I think these guys are lazy. Now all of that said i am a rookie officer, however i spent ten years in the Army Infantry with multiple deployments and have taken and returned more fire than my whole department combined as police officers so i don't think that this is my first job right out of college or Fedex where these veteran officers probably came from. Should i just shut my mouth or say something to them.
    METRO965

I wouldn't bother saying anything. Every department has slugs, moreso than go getters. Just do your job and let their supervisor worry about them.

Comment

They might just be letting you know because certain people (me included) can be territorial about their assigned beat. Before you get all worked up - ask them why they send you the message. Maybe they're just trying to "show you" how that area/shift work together. If they ARE being slugs, most departments keep records of MDT transmissions. It may be prudent at some point in time to start sending messages when you take THEIR calls, too.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I say, pick your battles. Obviously you are a team player, and not everyone is. Just keep doing the good job you are doing, and let it be that. Secondly, it's hard to hear someones tone in text, that officer could have just been letting you know or he could have been a jerk about it. You don't really know. Just be nice and thank him, tell him you were busy (or what have you), and let it go. If someone mentions it to you in the future that you can't cover your own beat etc. etc. then that is when I would speak up. Otherwise, just let it go and keep up the good work!
        Your mom...

Comment

Like Sgt. Slaughter said, some guys tend to be territorial, so as a courtesy I might let them know I handled a call in their area. But more importantly, I might do it to keep them apprised of what's happening on their beat, such as:

While you were tied up I handled a family dispute for you at 1234 Jones Street. I got it settled but if you have to go back, the husband has a really nasty temper. Better ask for a back up if you get any more calls from there.

or,

FYI, I handled a shots fired call at 36th & Elm. It was a nothing deal - turned out to be the Meister kids playing with firecrackers. I had a chat with their parents.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

My district has slaps too. It is bothersome when they don't answer up for calls in their assigned areas. However, getting into an on-air ****ing match is unprofessional. Getting into an off-air ****ing match winds up being more trouble than it's worth and doesn't usually do much good besides gossip-building about who "called" who out.

I know it's very frustrating. But as another officer stated, you have to pick and choose your battles. My advice is to suck it up and grin and bear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Christyle View Post
              I say, pick your battles. Obviously you are a team player, and not everyone is. Just keep doing the good job you are doing, and let it be that. Secondly, it's hard to hear someones tone in text, that officer could have just been letting you know or he could have been a jerk about it. You don't really know. Just be nice and thank him, tell him you were busy (or what have you), and let it go. If someone mentions it to you in the future that you can't cover your own beat etc. etc. then that is when I would speak up. Otherwise, just let it go and keep up the good work!
              Good answer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5603 users online. 311 members and 5292 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X