300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasper, IN Assistant Chief of Police Arrested for OWI

Hey Towncop, isn't this in your neck of the woods? I came across this article on that "bad cop" site. What's the deal man?

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=9020599

ISP: Jasper Assistant Police Chief arrested
    Jeff Carie

JASPER, IN (WFIE) - Indiana State Police say the Dubois County Assistant Jasper Police Chief has been arrested for speeding and drunk driving.

ISP says 41-year-old Jeff Carie was stopped for speeding and driving left of center line in Jasper.

Troopers say Carie was stopped for going 45 mph in a 35 mph zone in his personal vehicle. Carie is also charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...hief-arrested/

Jasper assistant police chief arrested
    Staff report
    Originally published 10:51 a.m., September 16, 2008
    Updated 10:51 a.m., September 16, 2008

Jeff Carie

The assistant police chief for the Jasper Police Department was arrested early this morning for allegedly driving while intoxicated, Indiana State Police officials said.

Jeff Carie, 41, was booked into the Dubois County Jail shortly before 1 a.m. on a misdemeanor charge.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Chad Dick said a trooper clocked Carie driving in Jasper 10 miles over the speed limit and then spotted him drifting left of center.

The trooper then pulled him over and found him to be impaired, Dick said. A certified chemical test was conducted to determine Carie's intoxication, though Dick said authorities would not release the result.

Carie, who was off-duty and operating his personal vehicle at the time, cooperated fully with the trooper, Dick said.

Dick said the trooper handled the case like any other stop.

"We've got a job to do," he said. "It doesn't matter who the person is who was stopped."

Carie, who has been on the force since 1991 and assistant chief since 2006, was asked to use days off through about Monday, Chief Doug Tarvin said.

He has not been suspended or reprimanded, though Tarvin said he and the Jasper city personnel director will conduct an internal investigation.

"We will gather our information and process it accordingly," Tarvin said.

Tarvin said he spoke with Carie earlier today. He declined to talk about their conversation.

He said his initial reaction was disappointment at the news.

"Just as anyone would be disappointed in this situation," he said.

Officials at the jail say Carie posted bond and was released about 10 a.m.
    Last edited by InHarleyCop; 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM.

Yep, my neck of the woods. And this is just a bad situation all the way around. Nothing else to add.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
      Nothing else to add.

Wow, you made him speechless! LOL Just kidding CYA man.
      Originally posted by Smurfette_76
      You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
      "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

<<<<Indiana State Police Sgt. Chad Dick said a trooper clocked Carie driving in Jasper 10 miles over the speed limit and then spotted him drifting left of center. The trooper then pulled him over and found him to be impaired, Dick said. A certified chemical test was conducted to determine Carie's intoxication, though Dick said authorities would not release the result.
        Carie, who was off-duty and operating his personal vehicle at the time, cooperated fully with the trooper, Dick said.
        "We've got a job to do," he said. "It doesn't matter who the person is who was stopped.">>>>

I guess the Sergeant's last name sums him up pretty well.... Guess he'll be up for promotion soon after showing the world he'll commend his guys for sticking it up their brother officers' a**** - even in their OWN town!
        Last edited by OfcrJ; 09-18-2008, 12:28 AM. Reason: text

Comment

Originally posted by OfcrJ View Post
          <<<<Indiana State Police Sgt. Chad Dick said a trooper clocked Carie driving in Jasper 10 miles over the speed limit and then spotted him drifting left of center. The trooper then pulled him over and found him to be impaired, Dick said. A certified chemical test was conducted to determine Carie's intoxication, though Dick said authorities would not release the result.
          "We've got a job to do," he said. "It doesn't matter who the person is who was stopped.">>>>

I guess the Sergeant's last name sums him up pretty well.... Guess he'll be up for promotion soon after showing the world he'll commend his guys for sticking it up their brother officers' a**** - even in their OWN town!
          Man, this post is wrong on so many levels. You don't even know Sgt. Dick and yet you're being a "dick" towards him. And, what's more, I've got news for you - I haven't talked to an officer YET that has had a bad word to say about this trooper for doing his job.

From my understanding, when booking Carie in he told the troop no hard feelings, he's only doing his job. That's stand up right there my friend.
          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
            Man, this post is wrong on so many levels. You don't even know Sgt. Dick and yet you're being a "dick" towards him. And, what's more, I've got news for you - I haven't talked to an officer YET that has had a bad word to say about this trooper for doing his job.

From my understanding, when booking Carie in he told the troop no hard feelings, he's only doing his job. That's stand up right there my friend.
            I'm going to side with TownCop... the Assistant Chief was left of center.
            If the Troop would've let this guy slide and 2 miles down the road he goes left of center again killing a family. Guess who's @ss it is?

I think the brotherhood of LEO's get quite a few breaks compared to Joe Publics. But you can't put someone else's life in immediate danger because you made a poor choice and expect to get away with it.

Any word if this guy is going to get to keep his job TownCop?

Comment

Shame On The Indiana State Police

it's still wrong
              Last edited by scotsmen; 10-30-2008, 06:25 PM.
              The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any LE agency, other person or entity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                I'm going to side with TownCop... the Assistant Chief was left of center.
                If the Troop would've let this guy slide and 2 miles down the road he goes left of center again killing a family. Guess who's @ss it is?

Here is a novel, yet effective way to remove him from the roadway and give him the break he deserves - give him a ride home or to his own police station! Leave the car keys at the front desk... I will get bashed for all eternity on this topic, but unless my hands are absolutely tied the cop always has a friend in me. "Doing your job" doesn't mean being a mindless robot enforcing every law every time. B.S. excuse to justify feeling better when he lays his head down to try and sleep.

P.S. - the guy above me is a little more harsh and I don't think there is any difference between IL or IN L.E.O.'s - we are all brothers.
                Last edited by OfcrJ; 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scotsmen View Post
                  You guys in Indiana are unbelievable, This copper was drunk shame on him, this case involved no deaths, no accidents, just speed over 10 miles an hour while dui and you Indiana guys burned this asst chief like he was some mook from Gary, so shame on the Indiana State police. Some of the comments posted by so called cops blow my mind, come into Illinois and drive on the dan ryan, or the bishop ford and then talk about putting other people lives on the line you would be lucky if the slowest car on it is going 70- 80 mph on any giving night. Maybe You guys should come watch us Illinois guys and learn how to police at least we don’t burn are own unless we have no other options. In Illinois most of us would have park the car on the side, took the keys and have someone come pick him up.
                  You cannot be serious with this b ullshi t.

It's ok that you want to risk your career for someone who is DUI. Good for you. Do it. Get canned and good luck getting another LEO job when they ask why you were terminated and you say "I drove a drunk home, AFTER I stopped him for being left of center."

It may be worth it for you to help out a bonehead that may cost you your career. It's not worth it to me. It puts me in a bad situation and I don't like it.
                  You think we want to arrest other cops? Do you really think that makes the ladies and gents in blue / tan feel good?

If that's the case and you really believe that it does, then you're a bigger bonehead than the drunk driver.

You stay in Illinois, I'll stay in Indiana. I'll continue to take EVERY drunk driver off the road I can, no matter WHO it is.

The Assistant Chief apparently TOLD the TROOPER that he had no hard feelings and he was doing his job. So WHY would YOU come on HERE and bash the trooper?

I think it's SHAME on you Scotsmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                    It's ok that you want to risk your career for someone who is DUI. Good for you. Do it. Get canned and good luck getting another LEO job when they ask why you were terminated and you say "I drove a drunk home, AFTER I stopped him for being left of center."
                    You would get disciplined for exercising discretion in a misdemeanor situation? I think if I heard you got fired for "driving a drunk home, AFTER I stopped him for being left of center" I would be waiting for the punch line or wondering why you didn't get out of that agency sooner....

Comment

it's wrong
                      Last edited by scotsmen; 10-30-2008, 06:27 PM.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any LE agency, other person or entity.

Comment

Originally posted by scotsmen View Post
                        I wouldn’t drive a drunk home, I would drive a fellow Police Officer home that has dedicated his entire career to law enforcement, I am sure Indiana have some good police Officers but after reading this post I wonder when did god make you perfect, you have never made a mistake you have never drove over the speed limit, you have never had 4 or 5 beers, and one day as everyone does you to will make a mistake and for you sake I hope you will run into an Officer that will cut you a break instead of leaving you in a corn field. I dont know how much time you have on the job but by your post You sound like you are still on probation or have no union in the dept. but think about my words and I hope they sink in.
                        I can promise you I've had 4 or 5 beers, but I can also promise you that I have never drank 4 or 5 beers then got behind the wheel of a car. The three of my friends who I had to see laying in a casket my senior year of high school took that out of me pretty fast.

I broke the speed limit, and payed the fines. More than once.

I know I'm not perfect, but I also know that I shouldn't put the burden of my own ignorance on anyone else.

I have no desire to ever write a cop for speeding, as long as he/she isn't impaired.

I have no desire to write a member of the military for speeding, as long as he/she isn't impaired.

I have no desire to write any EMT, firefighter, nurse, doctor for speeding, as long as he/she isn't impaired.

God forbid that it ever happens, but if you ever lose someone close to you because of someone driving impaired I bet you change your tune. Cop or not.
                        Endangering lives is endangering lives.

Comment

post-removed
                          Last edited by scotsmen; 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I'll agree with Hoosier; I don't want to jam up a fellow officer, I'll extend any "courtesy" I can to a fellow public servant (police, fire, ems, doctor, etc.) on infractions, however, we start going into the realm of misdemeanors and/or above, then I hope the individual I come into contact with has the same attidute the Assistant Chief did and realize it's not personal and there are no hard feelings. I'm not throwing away my career because of someone making a poor choice and wanting to risk thier own career/life.

Comment

Damn, you boys over there in Illinois are the LAW ENFORCEMENT GODS!!!! Maybe I will head over there and see how to do it right, since I've apparently been doing it wrong the past 10 years. Pound sand boys. You do things your way, and we'll continue to do things our way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6712 users online. 364 members and 6348 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X