Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Traffic Stop...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting Traffic Stop...

    Via www.local12.com (WKRC-TV Cincinnati):
    -----
    The Sheriff for Franklin County, Indiana spent time behind bars overnight, after he was arrested on a drunk driving charge. One of Sheriff Dale Maxie's Deputies stopped him at Laurel road and State Route 1, just outside of Brookville Indiana, about 9 o'clock Friday night.

    Sheriff Maxie had crossed the center line and failed to use his signal during a turn.When the Deputy realized he'd pulled over the Sheriff, he called in the Indiana State Police.

    Troopers arrested Sheriff Maxie and charged him with operating while intoxicated. Maxie posted bond is out of jail. Franklin County Sheriff's Office tells Local 12 the Sheriff is on leave.
    -----

  • #2
    I didn't think ISP could arrest a Sheriff, thought it was only the county coroner. Apparently my thinking was wrong.

    Comment


    • #3
      ISP can arrest the sheriff. That is why the deputy called them in. The only person in the county that can arrest the sheriff is the corner. Outside of the sheriff's county, anyone can arrest him.
      Sometimes there's justice! Sometimes there is just US!

      Comment


      • #4
        So.. who is looking for work after that one??
        And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by miller76 View Post
          ISP can arrest the sheriff. That is why the deputy called them in. The only person in the county that can arrest the sheriff is the corner. Outside of the sheriff's county, anyone can arrest him.

          It stated one of HIS deputies stopped him. Wouldn't it stand to reason he was, therefore, in his own county? This one will get tossed down the road... Guess a ride home wasn't an option in this 'neck of the woods.....

          Comment


          • #6
            I hope it sticks. This is definately a law that our General Assembly needs to change. Damn Sheriff's think they're untouchable anyway.

            Anyone see the paper recently where Sheriff Mark Frisbee plead guilty to theft the other day after a federal indictment??? This AFTER I spoke highly of the guy in another forum.
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

            * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

            * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

            Comment


            • #7
              Frisbee obviously fooled a lot of people. I recently hear Mr Charles Braun rave about Frisbee saying he was one of the brightest recruits that he has quite possible ever seen.

              "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
              ---Charles Braun
              Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OfcrJ View Post
                It stated one of HIS deputies stopped him. Wouldn't it stand to reason he was, therefore, in his own county? This one will get tossed down the road... Guess a ride home wasn't an option in this 'neck of the woods.....
                That'd also explain why ISP was called in since they could arrest him. Guess this deputy wasn't willing to let his boss slide. Good for him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OffDuty View Post
                  So.. who is looking for work after that one??
                  Good question. lol
                  IT IS WHAT IT IS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Munky View Post
                    That'd also explain why ISP was called in since they could arrest him. Guess this deputy wasn't willing to let his boss slide. Good for him.
                    I have never been put in the situation, so excuse my ignorance, but if the Sheriff is IN his own county I was under the impression he could not be arrested by anybody BUT THE CORONER. A State Trooper is just another law enforcement officer.

                    In regards to your comment "Guess this deputy wasn't willing to let his boss slide. Good for him" what are YOU talking about? You are not even a cop - your "applicant" opinion carries about the same weight as fly poop. I guess this deputy really hated his boss - because I didn't see anything about him being involved in an accident which would mandate an arrest situation. I have given many, many rides home to people in the same situation over the years. I sure as hell would give a fellow brother officer/deputy/trooper the same courtesy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OfcrJ View Post
                      I have never been put in the situation, so excuse my ignorance, but if the Sheriff is IN his own county I was under the impression he could not be arrested by anybody BUT THE CORONER. A State Trooper is just another law enforcement officer.

                      In regards to your comment "Guess this deputy wasn't willing to let his boss slide. Good for him" what are YOU talking about? You are not even a cop - your "applicant" opinion carries about the same weight as fly poop. I guess this deputy really hated his boss - because I didn't see anything about him being involved in an accident which would mandate an arrest situation. I have given many, many rides home to people in the same situation over the years. I sure as hell would give a fellow brother officer/deputy/trooper the same courtesy.

                      Its one thing if the person calls and ask for a ride it is another thing after they are on the road drunk. Good for the deputy!! Just because we are LEO's does not make us expempt from the law.
                      “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”- Viktor Frankl

                      "Any views, opinions, or statements made are not the views of any police department, government agency, or entity that I may or may not work for. Further more the views expressed are solely those of he who made them."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cadet1848 View Post
                        Its one thing if the person calls and ask for a ride it is another thing after they are on the road drunk. Good for the deputy!! Just because we are LEO's does not make us expempt from the law.
                        Of course they are not exempt. They are given a break within the limitations of the law and allowable discretion. If you would the ticket to your mother, father, brother, or sister for the violation that should be the personal gauge for ticketing a fellow brother/sister officer. The ramifications are far greater for the LEO than Billy Bob Citizen. Judging from your name "Cadet" you are probably fairly fresh from the brainwashing academy. This is a brotherhood and the only people who give a s*** about you are your parents and wife (if you are not divorced after 5-years on the job). Remember who butters your bread son and keeps your head out of your a**.... I think it would be good for your ego to read the following webpage: http://www.njlawman.com/Feature%20Pi...20Courtesy.htm
                        Last edited by OfcrJ; 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM. Reason: added web link

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OfcrJ, I don't know if you're from Indiana or not. But in Indiana officer discretion is a GREAT, GREAT thing. However, Indiana law is clear when it comes to making an OWI arrest. It says you SHALL, not can, may, or might, it says SHALL. This is one of the very, very few exceptions where you don't have discretion. I've been doing this for 10 years and I'll tell you this, if I come across an OWI and he/she happens to have a badge, I'm sorry, but you'll take the ride just like any other OWI. I like my stuff, that's why I bought it and I'm not going to lose it if he/she decides to get back out on the road after a ride home. Ain't happening!
                          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

                          * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

                          * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OfcrJ View Post
                            I have never been put in the situation, so excuse my ignorance, but if the Sheriff is IN his own county I was under the impression he could not be arrested by anybody BUT THE CORONER. A State Trooper is just another law enforcement officer.

                            In regards to your comment "Guess this deputy wasn't willing to let his boss slide. Good for him" what are YOU talking about? You are not even a cop - your "applicant" opinion carries about the same weight as fly poop. I guess this deputy really hated his boss - because I didn't see anything about him being involved in an accident which would mandate an arrest situation. I have given many, many rides home to people in the same situation over the years. I sure as hell would give a fellow brother officer/deputy/trooper the same courtesy.

                            Will you give us the Illinois definition of integrity?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Arresting the Sheriff

                              This is the only mention of it in IC

                              IC 36-2-14-5
                              Service of warrant for arrest of county sheriff; custody of jail and prisoners
                              Sec. 5. A warrant for the arrest of the county sheriff shall be served by the coroner or any other person to whom it may be legally directed. The coroner, who shall commit the sheriff to the county jail, has custody of the jail and its prisoners during the imprisonment of the sheriff.


                              I take that to mean only the coroner can serve a warrant on the sheriff. It doesn't mention warrantless arrest.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5622 users online. 319 members and 5303 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X