Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take Home Cars..Soon a thing of the past?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Home Cars..Soon a thing of the past?

Just wondering what the trend is in various areas of the state regarding take home cars? I know Richmond PD just got theirs yanked. While I know there is always the argument about less wear on the cars that are taken home, I wonder if there has ever been any independent studies conducted to see if it is actually more cost effecient for a city, county etc. to have take homes? I actually understand both sides of the argument and am kind of on the fence with it. My gut feeling, which could well be wrong, is that take homes is a trend that is going to start disappearing slowly.

Of course there are exceptions, but the whole take home concept is kind of a midwest/southern USA thing. I have worked with and known many officers on the west coast and when you tell them that many agencies back here take their cars home, they give you kind a deer in the headlight look. Surprisingly, you would think their reaction would be how great it sounds but usually, it's more like..."Why the hell would anyone want to take their car home?". Just funny how different parts of the country look at things differently.
    Last edited by whyistopu; 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM.

After 10 years on the job, I gave up my take home a little over a year ago since I moved out of the city limits. At first, it was a big loss. As time goes by, I could care less about having the car in the driveway. It's not that big of a deal guys...really.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

It may not be a big deal to you because you have been on a while but when your a new guy you want that take home it kinda makes you feel like you've made it. It's like driving around your trophy. I want the car. I left Active duty Army after ten years and took a $600 a month pay cut, so not having a car payment, insurance and gas is a huge benefit. I can't take mine home for a year anyway. I am open for paying a little to have it as well.
      METRO965

Comment

Not likely to get ours taken away. We'll end up paying some money but we'll still have them. I have no POV. The wifey has the SUV to haul the kids around so we pay for that. As little as I drive off-duty I cannot justify a car payment just for that.

Comment

I just got mine so I am enjoying it. I am still going to have to keep a POV to pick up my kids that live outside the doughnut counties.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat62 View Post
            I just got mine so I am enjoying it. I am still going to have to keep a POV to pick up my kids that live outside the doughnut counties.
            You can't drive kids around in your hot rod.

Comment

The take home car for personal use isn't as great as I thought it would be, and the novelty wore off in about a month. As long as I can use it to and from work and court, I'm happy.

We're probably going to end up with a payment to participate in the take home program before too much longer.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

IMHO, law enforcement officers are not paid what they are worth around here or really anywhere for that matter, therefore the take home car is sort of a way to subsidize that lack of compensation. I had a sort of debate regarding the usage of take home cars a couple of threads back and after giving it some thought, I think it's great that officers around here have the ability to have a take home car and can utilize it. I think as long as the officer is not totally abusing it then it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Well, I don't get a take-home car and I get lousy pay on top of that. Thankfully my run load is slim to none!! I am applying at other departments next to the county I live in. I won't move until _after_ I get out of FTO and will be available for a car. Working for a PD that has low pay (I only make decent money, thanks to all the OT that is available due to decades of mismanagement) causes one to be frugal. I still have a pretty decent life, just don't get to eat out for lunch and dinner five times a week, nor do I have the latest and greatest gadgets. I also buy decent used cars. If I get a take home car, I really have no desire to drive it while off-duty. I figure that due to the lower pay compared to other parts of the country, take home cars will stay, but they will be to and from work only. That alone should cut the governments gas usage by a huge factor. There are officers I know that drive the car everywhere. I am the kinda officer that when I am off-duty, I am off-duty. To me, if your in a marked car, your basically "on-call" whenever you are out and about driving around. A take-home car to me would be worth about $6-$7K/year in terms of real money. The liability aspect of a take-home car is priceless, which is why I hope they never take them totally away. If I get hired by an agency with take-homes, I won't move if they are going to get rid of take-homes. I have a ton of equity in my home as it stands now. For those officers totally losing the cars, they should be getting a raise of at least $4,000/year, otherwise you could end up with some officers in a tight financial squeeze. Having a ton of officers stressed out over paying the bills can't be good for a department.

Comment

Frankfort PD officers pay $20 a month to have a take home car.
                    Last edited by Ben_989; 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Its really not that big of a deal after you have had it for a while and all you want to do is run out and grab a bite to eat or go to the gym and you get caught up in something stupid or HAVE to pull some idiot over in front of you a few times- the novelty wears off really quick, agreed.

I like having the car to take home just to know it won't be stripped out by leech coworkers who need a flashlight... or a jacket to replace the one THEY lost..etc.
                      And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

My friend and former explorer is now on patrol in Arizona and he, just like me, was wanting a take home car. But he took a job with an agency that just uses pool cars, and where he works now, he doesn't want a take-home.

In the city I'm living in, it wouldn't be a problem. My city could use some more presence, so I don't think take homes would be taken away. However, the government has banned idling of city vehicles and officers are threatened with removal of take home privileges if they leave their car idling.

If I joined a bigger department in a more metropolitan city, take homes may not even be something I'd want. But in the current city, my first future choice, but picky department, I would definitely want a take home.

It's not like officers can get city paid gas while driving around off duty.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drummadude12 View Post

It's not like officers can get city paid gas while driving around off duty.
                          Eh? Why not? I put city paid gas in my car regardless of duty status.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                            Eh? Why not? I put city paid gas in my car regardless of duty status.
                            Word

Comment

We're having some "flares" sent up by the city on ours reference cost. The citizens love em' and the rumors are getting around town on it. From all the data I've seen on it, it's a win-win situation. The cars get better care and last longer, there is more pride by the officer and citizens like it. I've had citizens come up to me in my yard and tell me they recommended property that was for sale based on the fact there was an "officer living two doors down..."

What angers me on our dept policy is that it was presented to me as being part of my compensation when I was recruited. Now, it has become a "perk" that can be "yanked". Take home cars are a great perk and it is NON TAXED

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3371 users online. 169 members and 3202 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X