300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis Park Rangers?

A question for everyone out in cop land. Myself and a few guys at work were discussing the Indianapolis Park Rangers, during the dicussion the question came up of where do they get their police powers from? I've asked several people but no one seems to know the answer, and i have looked up IC Codes and i dont see them mentioned. Three questions, do they go to ILEA or any type of academy? Do they get their police powers and authority through IMPD, Indianapolis Department of Public Safety, MCSD, etc?........Are they Law Enforcement Officers by statute, Special Police Officers, Special Deputies, Constables, Marshalls, etc? If anyone can answer this for me, that be greatly appreciated............thanks in advance, just curious due to our topic of conversation the other night.......Nothing against Park Rangers because a couple have backed me up a few times and taken an accident for me.
    I Will Survive, I Will Go Home!

They DO go through ILEA and they are police powers/authority through IMPD, and yes they are law enforcement officers. They can pull you over and write you a ticket or investigate a crime if they want to.

Comment

Some of them went thru ILEA but most are Special Police. Our version of Special Deputies.

Comment

This is the only thing I could find, It is through the Indinapolis City Code

Sec. 241-306. Park rangers division.
        (a) Employees of the department who are park rangers shall serve a one-year probationary period. During this period, rangers shall be subject to termination with or without cause and without right to a hearing. This probationary period shall consist of time actually worked, and any periods of time during which a ranger is absent from work beyond paid leave shall not be counted toward the completion of the one-year period. After completion of the one-year probationary period, rangers shall be merit employees and subject to discipline or termination only pursuant to rules adopted by the department director.
        (b) The ranks of corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, and major shall be appointed ranks. Rangers appointed to serve in these ranks shall serve at the pleasure of the department director and may be reassigned to the rank of ranger without cause.
        (c) The park rangers division shall:
        (1) Provide for the safety and security of all park and recreation facilities, services, and customers;
        (2) Manage the park ranger program;
        (3) Manage the park ranger weed & seed program;
        (4) Develop and manage the educational safety programs of the department;
        (5) Develop, manage and execute safety policy and procedures at department parks and facilities;
        (6) Implement and manage OSHA standards and monitor department compliance;
        (7) Enforce city, state, and park and recreation department ordinances/statutes/rules on park properties;
        (8) Develop and perform environmental and safety programs for school and civic groups; and
        (9) Develop and implement community policing strategies for park properties.
        (G.O. 83, 2000, § 1)
        Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

Comment

If you do a search for "Park Rangers" in the Indiana thread area - it will bring up a couple other threads from a year or two ago that may offer you a bit of information.........
          There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

During the IPD days, they were legally "special deputies" and they derived their powers from the Sheriff. However, I believe they had no power restrictions like the special deputies did. Don't know if that has changed though...
            Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

What restrictions did special deputies have?
              IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

I use to work for the Park Rangers and know several people who still work there. They use to be special deputies and there was a falling out with the sheriffs dept. so ipd took control of them and made them "special police" through the department of public safety. They do not go through ILEA. They attempted to get it set up so their officers could attend but ILEA would not allow it. There are officers on the dept that are ILEA certified but they received it on another dept. prior becoming a ranger.

Comment

A few years ago, the parks superintendent was trying to strip the rangers of their police powers. I heard him (on TV) say the rangers were no different than janitors and they had no business doing police work. The last I heard, The Mayor stopped him. How did that situation turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
                    A few years ago, the parks superintendent was trying to strip the rangers of their police powers. I heard him (on TV) say the rangers were no different than janitors and they had no business doing police work. The last I heard, The Mayor stopped him. How did that situation turn out?
                    Rangers still have police powers and I haven't heard any more rumblings about it.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
                      I remember this well There was an IPD Captain who (didn't like the Rangers) and was somehow putt in charge of them. So the first time they messed something up that caught the Media's attention, he had that to say.
                      I don't think he lasted there longer than six months
                      Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                        Rangers still have police powers and I haven't heard any more rumblings about it.
                        This was before your time cruiser. Late 90's maybe?
                        Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Originally posted by operator48 View Post
                          This was before your time cruiser. Late 90's maybe?
                          Ah. When was my time, just so I don't get confused? But, the Rangers do still have police powers and there are no rumblings about them losing them now, so my answer is still true, right?
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3231 users online. 164 members and 3067 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X