Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right MJN, but you know what else you should have, along with a FOID? Good inferring skills and the ability to not pounce at the chance to make yourself feel smarter. Plus, where I come from, every officer must have a weapon both on and off duty.

Comment

Just got mine yesterday... took 32 days.

Comment

Start ‘Em Young- Illinois Toddler Gets State Gun ID Card
        May 15th, 2007 | by Ken Grandlund |
        Here’s one for the pro-gun crowd. In Illinois, apparently there is no age limit for obtaining a state Firearm Owner’s ID Card.

According to Illinois state law, anyone who wants to own or purchase a firearm needs to get an FOID card. And even though you can’t legally buy a gun until you are 18 years old, you can own a gun at a younger age. Case in point…

Howard Ludwig’s 10 month old son, affectionately nicknamed “Bubba” was gifted a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun shortly after his birth. Grandpa bought the gun and his father registered his drooling infant for an FOID online and shortly thereafter received his son’s ID card in the mail, complete with a picture of the toothless child, his age, height, and weight. Dad included the info (20 lbs, 2 ft, 3 ins, and a toothless photo) and even got his kid to scribble a “signature” in the appropriate box.

Now little “Bubba” can legally transport his unloaded firearm, and purchase ammo. Too bad he can’t yet walk!

I wonder if little Bubba will one day be lugging his shotgun off to school one day…

Comment

Originally posted by Jail Guard7160 View Post
          Start ‘Em Young- Illinois Toddler Gets State Gun ID Card
          May 15th, 2007 | by Ken Grandlund |
          Here’s one for the pro-gun crowd. In Illinois, apparently there is no age limit for obtaining a state Firearm Owner’s ID Card.

According to Illinois state law, anyone who wants to own or purchase a firearm needs to get an FOID card. And even though you can’t legally buy a gun until you are 18 years old, you can own a gun at a younger age. Case in point…

Howard Ludwig’s 10 month old son, affectionately nicknamed “Bubba” was gifted a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun shortly after his birth. Grandpa bought the gun and his father registered his drooling infant for an FOID online and shortly thereafter received his son’s ID card in the mail, complete with a picture of the toothless child, his age, height, and weight. Dad included the info (20 lbs, 2 ft, 3 ins, and a toothless photo) and even got his kid to scribble a “signature” in the appropriate box.

Now little “Bubba” can legally transport his unloaded firearm, and purchase ammo. Too bad he can’t yet walk!

I wonder if little Bubba will one day be lugging his shotgun off to school one day…
          lol I remember reading about this story.. The FOID card is a joke, yea sure... you can say "but only law abiding citizens have the FOID card.. you're correct. But when you buy a weapon you STILL have a 3 day wait in Illinois (unless you're a police officer, with dept letter) AND you STILL have to get a background check done. Of course, to buy ammo you just need the FOID card, but you can travel over the state line here in Missouri and purchase it as a Illinois resident, without a FOID card.

Oh, so you need a FOID card to transport a gun in Illinois, as a Illinois resident? What if I apply for a FOID card, receive one.. it expires in 10 years, but in the first year I was convicted of a felony. I still have a FOID card in my wallet.

So, what did the FOID card accomplish?
          Last edited by occ; 08-13-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by occ View Post
            it expires in 10 years, but in the first year I was convicted of a felony. I still have a FOID card in my wallet.
            Because when you are convicted you'll be sent a letter telling you to turn in your FOID card and the card is revoked. If you don't return it voluntarily someone will be around to collect it. But anytime anyone runs your name in the computer, even on a traffic stop, the FOID response will come back that your FOID is revoked.
            183 FBINA

Comment

The only usefull purpose of the FOID card is to create a registry of possible gun owners and which houses to go visit if a ban was implemented. It sounds alarmist and "tin foil hat like", but I just don't see the usefulness of the whole process.

And I havent heard of any "FOID" use in the news except when authorities wanted to disarm Stebic and Peterson. (Not a fan of either guy but if they should be disarmed for "the greater good of the public" then convince a judge to seize the weapons, not the ISP to revoke a FOID card)

Case in point is the original posters question.... A police officer worried about having a FOID card issued in time for the academy? He shouldn't even need one in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by bankfraudguy View Post
                The only usefull purpose of the FOID card is to create a registry of possible gun owners and which houses to go visit if a ban was implemented. It sounds alarmist and "tin foil hat like", but I just don't see the usefulness of the whole process.

And I havent heard of any "FOID" use in the news except when authorities wanted to disarm Stebic and Peterson. (Not a fan of either guy but if they should be disarmed for "the greater good of the public" then convince a judge to seize the weapons, not the ISP to revoke a FOID card)

Case in point is the original posters question.... A police officer worried about having a FOID card issued in time for the academy? He shouldn't even need one in the first place.
                I couldn't agree with you more,this is nothing more than a control issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                  You're right MJN, but you know what else you should have, along with a FOID? Good inferring skills and the ability to not pounce at the chance to make yourself feel smarter. Plus, where I come from, every officer must have a weapon both on and off duty.
                  Your're allowed to carry off-duty but it's not required. You retain a duty to provide police sevice if there's an emergency need for you to provide them while off duty, but there is no requirement for you to carry a firearm off-duty. Most officers choose to do so and most of the brass prefers it, but the city wants to distance itself from liability for the actions of off-duty officers, so there's no official requirement that officers carry firearms off-duty.

Comment

Unless a department requires it, in Illinois you do not need to possess a FOID to be a sworn, duly armed LEO. What you do need to do to purchase ammunition if you so choose to do is provide your creds as well as your badge at the point of purchase.

Comment

Last edited by Huey County; 08-05-2009, 02:07 AM.
                      Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                      Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                      For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                      'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

Do you think this loophole was/is put there because of the fact that there are LEO's who have seeked mental treatment who would/have had their FOID's revoked because of that said treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                          Because when you are convicted you'll be sent a letter telling you to turn in your FOID card and the card is revoked. If you don't return it voluntarily someone will be around to collect it. But anytime anyone runs your name in the computer, even on a traffic stop, the FOID response will come back that your FOID is revoked.
                          Yeah right. I ran into a guy who was both mentally ill and a convicted felon with a FOID and guns; and this was well into the "computer age" (around 2000). I had to call the ISP and tell them about the guy to get the card revoked and guns seized.

The whole point about running a name on a traffic stop and getting a FOID status is B.S. and you know it. Running a FOID in LEADS is a different query from running a 10-27. The only reason an officer will generally run a FOID on a traffic stop is if he finds the person in possession of firearms or ammunition.

I once read a quote from a wise man who said something like this:

If we get a license to do it, we are admitting that the government has the right to regulate it.

I am not an anarchist by any means; I play by the "rules", but I only do so, because I have to. We should also keep in mind that everytime we let the government regulate something, we surrender a small piece of freedom. The question is how much freedom are you willing to surrender?

Comment

Originally posted by J3L2404 View Post
                            Yeah right. I ran into a guy who was both mentally ill and a convicted felon with a FOID and guns; and this was well into the "computer age" (around 2000). I had to call the ISP and tell them about the guy to get the card revoked and guns seized.?
                            Sorry, but what the info I gave you is the current practice. I've sent a lot of Troops and Agents to do pickups when we got notice they were convicted, sent letters to return their FOIDS, and they didn't return.

Originally posted by J3L2404 View Post
                            The whole point about running a name on a traffic stop and getting a FOID status is B.S. and you know it. Running a FOID in LEADS is a different query from running a 10-27.
                            The only reason an officer will generally run a FOID on a traffic stop is if he finds the person in possession of firearms or ammunition.
                            BS? Nope, more like someone who doesn't know what they're doing on LEADS. What's BS is a "non-LEO investigator" who doesn't know beans from FOID.
                            If your agency isn't setting up their LEADS to automatically run FOID then it's your agency's fault. You can set up your LEADS to automatically check FOID, SALOON, CQH, etc everytime you run a 10-27. No other inquiry is needed, it's run automatically. It's simple for them to do and if they don't know how then all they have to do is pull out the LEADS manual and it will show them the code. If you aren't smart enough to read the manual then call LEADS and they'll walk you thru it. We have had ours set that way since Heck was a pup. Oh wait, now I see. Exactly what a non-LE investigator knows about it? As non-LEO you won't be getting alot of LEO restricted info. Stay in your own lane.
                            Last edited by ISPCAPT; 08-22-2008, 07:20 PM.
                            183 FBINA

Comment

Illinois Fold card and the Nazi gun control are a like check these web site

http://constitutionalistnc.tripod.co...tist/id14.html

Comment

Godwin's Law has been invoked.
                                183 FBINA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11758 users online. 424 members and 11334 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X