Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOID card

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FOID card

    Hey I just applied for my FOID card a week ago and was wondering how long it took some of you to get it in the mail after you sent for it? Need it as quick as possible and was just curious.

  • #2
    It took several months for me to receive mine years ago. Why do you need it in such a hurry?

    Comment


    • #3
      i was told by my department i need it for academy. they told me a month before academy starts. so i applied that day. they said it was their fault for not informing me earlier, but its probably going to be me getting reemed by the academy for not having it. the card application said it should be processed within 30 days, but its the government, and nothing ever is fast. it better not hinder me from getting through academy or the shooting classes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by purdue08 View Post
        i was told by my department i need it for academy. they told me a month before academy starts. so i applied that day. they said it was their fault for not informing me earlier, but its probably going to be me getting reemed by the academy for not having it. the card application said it should be processed within 30 days, but its the government, and nothing ever is fast. it better not hinder me from getting through academy or the shooting classes.
        Whoever from the academy that said it was their fault.. hold them to it if push come to shove.

        Comment


        • #5
          I got mine in less then a month and that was about a year ago.
          It shouldn't take too long.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wait a few days until you know ISP received it and give them a call and explain your situation. I did that and it was able to move to the top of the pile...in fact they were very nice about it and I received it quickly.

            Comment


            • #7
              It shouldn't take more than 35-40 days. Got mine renewed this year and it took about 32 days or so. They sure cash the check fast, though!

              Comment


              • #8
                I thought the same thing about the government always taking forever. The ISP really impressed me though and I got it in 30 days on the dot. You won't be shooting right away in the academy, and I guarantee you won't be the only one without it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Which academy are you going to? When I was at the academy, there were a few guys that didn't have their FOID cards yet, and had just applied for them. They got their FOID cards about 6 weeks after applying for them, they just couldn't take their guns home. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. PD's are dumb for not putting that as a requirement when applying (something along the lines of "must have FOID card prior to employment).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you're going to go into policing, just spend the few bucks and get it the first time you apply to a department. It'll save you time/hassle down the line.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cubsfan07 View Post
                      Which academy are you going to? When I was at the academy, there were a few guys that didn't have their FOID cards yet, and had just applied for them. They got their FOID cards about 6 weeks after applying for them, they just couldn't take their guns home. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. PD's are dumb for not putting that as a requirement when applying (something along the lines of "must have FOID card prior to employment).
                      You only need the FOID if you own a gun. They are not dumb.

                      What is stupid is the whole FOID requirement at all. There is no need for FOID cards. It is unconstitutional for the whole idea to exist.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As of last week the wait time was 33 days. You expect that time to get a bit longer this time of year. Every fall FOID gets flooded. Guys who are getting ready for hunting season wait until about now or a bit later to check their FOID cards and find out they've let them expire or they're coming due so FOID gets flooded. The more apps coming in the longer the delay.
                        The academies around the state are all aware of the delays involved. Just apply, note the date you sent yours in, and if asked just inform the academy of the date you applied. Someone at the academy can call FOID and check on your status if there's a question.
                        183 FBINA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Since you need a FOID to be a cop, they might as well make it a requirement. You don't need college to be a cop but some places put that as a requirement. Which one is more practical/unconstitutional?
                          Last edited by MorseAve1134; 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
                            You only need the FOID if you own a gun. They are not dumb.

                            What is stupid is the whole FOID requirement at all. There is no need for FOID cards. It is unconstitutional for the whole idea to exist.
                            Criminals don't have FOID cards. Law abiding citizens do. And at 5 bucks for 4 years, it has to be the cheapest program the state has ever implemented

                            I'm all for FOID cards.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TomfromIL View Post
                              Criminals don't have FOID cards. Law abiding citizens do. And at 5 bucks for 4 years, it has to be the cheapest program the state has ever implemented

                              I'm all for FOID cards.
                              It was $5 for 5 years. It's now $10 for 10 years. Hopefully making the cards good for 10 years will help decrease the backlog.
                              183 FBINA

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 12173 users online. 528 members and 11645 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X