Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Chicago (from Germany)

Hi,
    in Septmber I visiting Chicago. I´m a german policeofficer. Me and some other german guys visit the police in Chicago (it is an international police exchange between USA and Germany).
    I think, that we see a lot of interessting police-work.

But what is importend to see too? Or what could I do in the evening?
    Maybe you have some idea?

Thank you and greeting from Germany

CopHH
    www.STAR-IPE.com
    International Police Exchange: USA - Germany - Spain - Switzerland

There is ALOT of stuff to do and see in the Windy City.

It all depends on where you are staying, how long, means of travel, etc.

There's always places like Navy Pier or the Sears Tower which are always pretty tourist-friendly. I'd also recommend you go take a walk through the Chicago Police Memorial park.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Comment

Definatley the Police Memorial Park... very nice. Millenium Park is a great place to go to too. Try and catch a show there... I know they have some free rehearsals during the day.

I highly recommend an architect tour along the Chicago river... its nowhere near the architectual genius in Germany, but most of the tours give a lot of historical background information. Its really interesting hearing about the Gangster era of Capone and the shady past (and present haha) of Chicago.

And if you get a chance, go to Wrigleyville. Hopefully in September, the Cubs will be in the heart of a pennant race and that is always history in the making. The crowd and energy alone is exciting.

Hope you have a great stay in Chicago! Welcome to our city!
      "You are charging me with a third DUI? What are they going to do to me? Send me to jail and take away my cocktail fruit?"

Remember: a coffin is much hotter than your vest!

Comment

Forget sightseeing, just go eat some of the best food in the world:

Italian beef
        deep dish pizza
        Polish sausage
        Chicago style hot dogs
        Gyros

Comment

I'll second everything everyone else has said, except I'd advise skipping Navy Pier. I'd say, if the weather is good, rent a bike at Foster beach and ride it down the Lakefront trail until you get to the Adler Planetarium. This way, you'll get to see many different views of the skyline, you will hit Millennium park, Grant park, Buckingham fountain, all the while experiencing one of Chicago's best assets, its lakefront. At the end of your trip you will be on the museum campus, and you can visit any of our great museums, and if you really want to go to Navy Pier, you can take a water taxi over there from the museum campus.

In terms of nightlife, Chicago has it all, it depends on what you want. If you want just crazy drunken debauchery, I'd say go to Rush street or Wrigleyville (Clark street). Also, there's tons of theater everywhere in this town, and you can never go wrong with Second City over on Halsted, which is improv comedy.

The list goes on and on, I would recommend seeking out a copy of TimeOut Chicago when you get here, that magazine does a pretty good job of listing every single possible location and event going on at any given time, although I don't know how tourist friendly it is.
          Last edited by ChiCity; 08-06-2008, 01:32 AM. Reason: typos
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Hell, forget Navy Pier. Go visit Harrison and Kedzie for some insight on Chicago police work. P.S. You might want to pack your Gewehr.
            Last edited by FRNZX; 08-06-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Thank you that all sounds very good. But now i have another question.
              How will the weather be? Chicago ist the windy city... I don´t know the degrees in °F, in Germany we only know °C.
              So just say it´s hot/cold or you just need a TShirt/Pullover

And my other question could be from a girl... there a good places to buy clothings? Outlets or something like this? Cause in Germany it´s very expensive (Abercrombie, Hollister, Fossil etc).
              www.STAR-IPE.com

Comment

I'm visiting Chi-town from KC for the first time. Myself and 3 other cop friends are going to the game Aug. 23rd (Cubs). I just wish we could stay longer than a weekend...... Either way, I'm going to drink all your beer in Chicago that weekend so you better stock up! LOL

Comment

If you want to drink a lot of very, very good beer you´ve to visit Germany
                  www.STAR-IPE.com

Comment

btw, I saw this on YouTube sometime last year.

I believe it's some Swedish police recruits doing the same stuff that you will be doing CopHH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqvJ7Xr6xHU

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Comment

GUTENTAG!

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                      Forget sightseeing, just go eat some of the best food in the world:

Italian beef
                      deep dish pizza
                      Polish sausage
                      Chicago style hot dogs
                      Gyros

Definitely do that and also do what FRNZX suggested lol.

Go here to try the hottest chicken wings ever. Order the XXX wings and sign their waiver:

Jake Melnick's Corner Tap
                      (312) 266-0400
                      41 E Superior St, Chicago, IL
                      ~Delta

Comment

Originally posted by CopHH View Post
                        Thank you that all sounds very good. But now i have another question.
                        How will the weather be? Chicago ist the windy city... I don´t know the degrees in °F, in Germany we only know °C.
                        So just say it´s hot/cold or you just need a TShirt/Pullover

And my other question could be from a girl... there a good places to buy clothings? Outlets or something like this? Cause in Germany it´s very expensive (Abercrombie, Hollister, Fossil etc).
                        The weather in Chicago is like women -unpredictable. Maybe you will need a lite jacket in early sept.But mostly the weather should be nice.
                        Last edited by gundog; 08-06-2008, 10:46 PM.
                        Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

Comment

Make sure you hit up Leons for the best tips in Chicago/the world. 79th and Stony, during the day and on the north side of 79th east of stony. Of course have your Chicago tour guides with you as well.
                          Last edited by MorseAve1134; 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BPD_126 View Post
                            I'm visiting Chi-town from KC for the first time. Myself and 3 other cop friends are going to the game Aug. 23rd (Cubs). I just wish we could stay longer than a weekend...... Either way, I'm going to drink all your beer in Chicago that weekend so you better stock up! LOL
                            Let me tell you, the first time I went to Chicago, I fell in love with the place. It is really a beautiful city. We did go on a boat ride just so I could use 13 rolls of film taking pictures of the skyline. Also we went to the observation deck of both the Sears Tower, and John Hancock Center. We also checked out Millenium Park, the field museum, and every other tourist attraction. It's nice seeing a real city after being in KC so long.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot... You should def. check out the WEINER CIRCLE for hot dogs on North Clark. Going late night is a must and they are SUPER friendly! Also, go to the Greenmill on Lawrence and Broadway. It's my favorite j*** bar.
                              Last edited by FRNZX; 08-07-2008, 01:21 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4215 users online. 185 members and 4030 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X