300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending your home

Hi just a quick question is it legal for one to kill a burglar that is in your home? Is there a difference if your a female and you do it than being a male? if your home by yourself?

Thanks

xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by LawDog99; 09-08-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsecraze View Post
      Hi just a quick question is it legal for one to kill a burglar that is in your home? Is there a difference if your a female and you do it than being a male? if your home by yourself?

Thanks
      Basically no, unless they are going to cause death or great bodily harm to you or someone else. See the link to the Illinois statutes for questions.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...000050K7-2.htm

Comment

I assume that you don't plan on killing the burglar it just happened while you were protecting your life or other family members Right?

Now my next question since you probably are not using a chainsaw to protect your family you are using a firearm. Do you live in an area that requires gun registration? Check out the Hale DeMar case.

OK i can go on all day with what ifs.

If someone breaks into your house to steal your 50 plasma and XBOX and leave then no you can't shoot them.

If someone breaks into your house while you are home or come home during the break in and you feel your life or you family's life is threatened. You can protect yourself and family. If they happen to die during that. They picked the wrong house to rob.

Check list for you not ending up in jail.

1.Have a foid card and gun registration if needed
        2.Suspect should have weapon near dead body(does not need to be in hand)

Comment

This guy was stalking my cusin and broke into their house and my uncle took out his 357. Shot the kid in the arm...But no telling what he would've done...But in the end my uncle ends up getting sued...They would've won but the files decided to disappear....So the case was thrown out...If someone broke into my house idk what the circumstances were id shoot um too!
          Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
          Killed in the line of duty.

Comment

If they break into your house while it is OCCUPIED it's not burglary, it's upgraded to home invasion...If you verbally order the offender out of your home, and they don't leave, or if they make a verbal threat against you or your family, or if they display a weapon, or even go for their waistband, you have every right to defend yourself and your family. You just better make sure this person is an offender, not, God Forbid, your teenage son/daughters girlfriend or boyfriend sneaking in or out of the house, which means ALWAYS have a solid visual and make a verbal command...if the person is an offender and you put them down, as long as you have the FOID card and registered weapon, your not going to find to many judges or jury's that will convict you for defending your home and family during a home invasion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6713 users online. 364 members and 6349 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X