300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degree Question

At 29 years of age I am looking to make a career change. I am contemplating leaving the business world and trying to enter LE. With this in mind, I am considering going back to school. Herein lies my dilemma; do I get an Associates in Criminal Justice or in some other field and then finish the 4 year via on-line classes while working?

I guess what I am trying to get at is how valuable would the Associates in Criminal Justice be? I appreciate all information and if it matters, I would be attending COD.

There has been at least one recent thread on this subject. The general jist is, you need to have 60 hours (for most departments) or 4 years of active military service. Doesn't matter if your degree/college focus is in basket weaving, or underwatering basket weaving (a market I am trying to corner), or criminal justice.

Good Luck,
    RyBaK

Comment

In my experience with talking to other LEOs, they have a degree in anything BUT criminal justice.
      Last edited by ceeceesun; 05-15-2008, 09:56 PM.

Comment

For the love of all that is good and holy, do NOT get a criminal justice degree. Unless you want to eventually grab a master's in it and teach. Had I known then what I know now, I would not not have majored in that (that damn advisor telling me it was the best choice). I have a 60,000 dollar piece of toilet paper.

Major in something useful, maybe something that could eventually be worked into a career in law enforcement. Like computers, or accounting, or something that could be helpful in an investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Euclid47 View Post
          For the love of all that is good and holy, do NOT get a criminal justice degree. Unless you want to eventually grab a master's in it and teach. Had I known then what I know now, I would not not have majored in that (that damn advisor telling me it was the best choice). I have a 60,000 dollar piece of toilet paper.

Major in something useful, maybe something that could eventually be worked into a career in law enforcement. Like computers, or accounting, or something that could be helpful in an investigation.
          WHAT HE SAID...GIVE YOURELF A PLAN B!!
          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

COD?! AHHHHHHHHHH worst 6 years of my life......

Like the others have said, CJ degree = pointless. Get a degree in accounting it leaves a lot of options.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I guess, that takes care of that! Similar to professional pilots majoring in anything BUT aviation management!

Well..........off to see what else interests me, that I will finish.

Comment

I will add my perspective from an applicant and a student view.

The A.S. in Criminal Justice or Law Enforcement will help you with preference points on the final eligibility list, if the department will honor the degree which most do. I could careless for my A.S. I did not want to go this route, but because of the points I did. Now, B.S. will be in Business Administration which all my acquired credits from A.S. counts in my B.S. In essence, I am not wasting those credits and I will have two degrees when I am finished.

The 60 hours other members are communicating about is more the lines of a hiring requirement by certain departments. I apply only to departments that require a H.S. diploma and my positioning is fine without the five preference points. For example, Glenwood I am #10, Brookfield I was #2, Crete I #13, Forest Park #40, Coal City #1, and waiting for Oak Forest final list which I am sure I will be in the top ten. Now, if I had the extra 5 points because of my A.S. I would of ranked a lot better.

My advice go get the Criminal Justice. Most of your general eds will count for it.
                Last edited by LockednLoaded; 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM.
                "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Euclid hit the nail on the head...

Comment

My department could care less for a CJ degree. The city however requires that an applicant finish a 4 year degree prior to applying.

Bottom line....as diverse of a profession Law Enforcement is, any degree will suffice. Just make sure you have fun and never lose faith in what you do on the streets.

Comment

It doesn't matter what you got your degree in, as long as you get a degree, you should be good.

Why? Because what the LE agencies want you to know, they're going to teach you in practical matters. School is mostly theory. What school hopefully does is teach you how to learn and time manage. If you've already learned how to learn in school and how to manage time, the learning curve for you when you get into an academy should be shorter.

I have BA's in Criminal Justice and Psychology. Believe me, especially for the psychology, what you learn in the books is far from what you'll use when working. I'm currently in the mental health field right now. Best people I want to work with are the ones with experience, not paper.

Comment

The best way I can describe a CJ degree is like this. Most law school admissions counselors will tell you not to get one if you want to be an attorney. If law schools say they're worthless in the field, they're probably worthless.

I have seen in my lookings around a department here or there that required a cj major. But they're about as common as competant supervisors.

Comment

Originally posted by Euclid47 View Post
                          The best way I can describe a CJ degree is like this. Most law school admissions counselors will tell you not to get one if you want to be an attorney. If law schools say they're worthless in the field, they're probably worthless.

I have seen in my lookings around a department here or there that required a cj major. But they're about as common as competant supervisors.
                          I too have my CJ degree and I owe over $28,000. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but after working at a law school for a semester, I realized that I was a sense of humor and wanted to keep my soul. I gratudated in 98', tested everywhere until I was 35 and can't seem to leave the Cook County Sheriff's DOC. Did I get blackballed by the other departments because of the CCDOC's rep or maybe they get who they want anyway and it doesn't matter?
                          If you want to get some CJ, minor in it and major in something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boned J.G. View Post
                            I too have my CJ degree and I owe over $28,000. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but after working at a law school for a semester, I realized that I was a sense of humor and wanted to keep my soul. I gratudated in 98', tested everywhere until I was 35 and can't seem to leave the Cook County Sheriff's DOC. Did I get blackballed by the other departments because of the CCDOC's rep or maybe they get who they want anyway and it doesn't matter?
                            If you want to get some CJ, minor in it and major in something else.
                            I highly doubt you got blackballed from a ccdoc rep unless you had an iad case or several,not that im saying you personaly did,just in general.I know a lot of guys who left the county for state,cpd,and various other agencies.But they will call the county and check on you with your supervisors and iad.Not saying that this applied to you with the iad cases and such.
                            Last edited by gundog; 05-17-2008, 10:02 AM.
                            Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12249 users online. 429 members and 11820 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X