Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effective 1/1/09

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Effective 1/1/09

    Effective January 1, 2009, all newly hired or re-hired officers and any current officers who are promoted shall participate in the physical fitness program set forth in Appendix T of this Agreement. All other officers may elect to participate in the physical fitness program; any officers who exercise this option shall be subject to the same terms and conditions of participation in the program as all other participating officers.

    I am not sure if anyone has read Appendix T, but I think this is great, what I think is not fair is that it is only for new hire or rehires. I think they should make this for everyone in the poice department. I am ok with new hires and rehires, but I think they shuould do it to existing officers. THere are a lot of sloppy officers and I feel they should be straighten out. Do not get me wrong, a lot of officers are fit but it should be like that for everyone.

    Any thoughts

  • #2
    So, in other words, no more P.O.W.E.R. test that is age and gender specific???
    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the PT fitness program is a good idea but I agree with Chicago EP that all officers should particpate in the program not just the new hires or re-hires.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by USAFAlex View Post
        I think the PT fitness program is a good idea but I agree with Chicago EP that all officers should particpate in the program not just the new hires or re-hires.
        I know there is a lot of out of shape PO's, at least by their appearence, but let their record speak for them...I don't care if the guy/gal is fat....do they make arrests? Do they respond to calls? Do they always back you up on calls and would they have your back in a fight? Basically, are they workers? If the answers to the above questions are YES, then I don't care if they are fat or out of shape, they are workers, and they do thier job well, and thats the bottom line in this job IMO.

        Comment


        • #5
          Damn, I hope they don't eliminate the bonus. I was looking forward to that free money for a little effort.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
            I know there is a lot of out of shape PO's, at least by their appearence, but let their record speak for them...I don't care if the guy/gal is fat....do they make arrests? Do they respond to calls? Do they always back you up on calls and would they have your back in a fight? Basically, are they workers? If the answers to the above questions are YES, then I don't care if they are fat or out of shape, they are workers, and they do thier job well, and thats the bottom line in this job IMO.
            Hey Grunt,

            I agree with you there that there are PO's who are getting in done on streets but what about the PO's who say no to your questions? All that I am saying is that a little PT never harm anyone, so they say. You and I were in the military and we both know for a fact than no one was excluded from PT, they had to particpate regardless.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by USAFAlex View Post
              Hey Grunt,

              I agree with you there that there are PO's who are getting in done on streets but what about the PO's who say no to your questions? All that I am saying is that a little PT never harm anyone, so they say. You and I were in the military and we both know for a fact than no one was excluded from PT, they had to particpate regardless.
              This isn't the military. It is a civil position. Most people do not make the military their career. Think long term. You want to get fired for high blood pressure or a bad knee?

              The power test is not subjective. A doctor's review is. City doctor can say one thing while yours another concerning fitness for duty. Then you are out no grievance or arbitration.

              You won't always be twenty one.
              Last edited by SeVere; 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I guess Grunt is right and I agree with that also. I know there are a lot of big, fat, etc.. officers but they can run. How they do it, I have no clue but i have seen them run and I tip my hat to them when as big as they are, they are able to catch a young teenager.
                I do beleive they should participate in pt though, it is benefitting their life.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chicago_ep View Post
                  I guess Grunt is right and I agree with that also. I know there are a lot of big, fat, etc.. officers but they can run. How they do it, I have no clue but i have seen them run and I tip my hat to them when as big as they are, they are able to catch a young teenager.
                  I do beleive they should participate in pt though, it is benefitting their life.
                  In a foot chase, for the most part, we are at a disadvantage coming out of the gates....they normally get a good head start on us as we get out of the car...they are normally wearing running shoes, shorts, and know houses they can duck into...we have carrying close to 50lbs of gear with the vest and wearing boots in many occasions, and trying to work a radio at the same time....so how does the bigger cop get em? They work the radio...they keep them in eye contact, they give out their discription and direction they are running over the radio, giving time for the other cops to cover the area and help get the offender....Yes I think it is important to be in shape and it can only help you on the job, but there are all sorts of Police out there...their are poster boy Cops who are in great shape and do a outstanding job, and there are fat cops who are lazy...but on the flip side, their are Cops who are in really good shape who are dogs, and fat cops who are workers and aggresive....like I said before, let thier work record speak for them.
                  Last edited by 0311Grunt; 05-16-2008, 01:51 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll go along with mandatory POWER testing when they also, on a yearly basis, give tests on criminal law, Dept. procedures, geography of the Dist you work, or the city if you're a citywide unit, peak performance driving and a psych test. Otherwise, it all BS to just give a test for just phys ability.

                    I hear everyday, some jack-rabbit copper screaming in the radio a footchase, then "Where you at?" and dead silence. I also see some of these guys (in a certain unit, Severe and 0311G may know of what I speak) that don't know what a "slow down" is and like running redlights at 80 MPH to be a 12th car on the scene. How about the "How many Times Can I Call for a Sgt. to Tell Me What Do Game?" Let's test on all of these things yearly. Won't only be "fat" coppers looking for new jobs.

                    Most of the people that call for people with 10, 15, 20 years on to be fired for not passing J-Fraud's BS " Power tests" are not even the Police, nice to not walk in our shoes and call for coppers to be fired..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Guys,

                      I'm wondering...

                      Why does CPD seem to take the brundt of all the big cop criticism? Why does CPD seem to get singled out?

                      I'm thinking that those who write those articles have some sort of personal vendetta or agenda against CPD.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Okay, a couple of things. Before saying that everyone should be required to take the power test take a couple of things into consideration first. First, the longer you are on this job the more prone you are to have injuries, both temporary and permanent, that can effect your ability to run or lift weight. Second, in addition to the first, you have age. Are you going force an officer who is pushing 60yrs old that can't run 1.5 miles in a certain amount of time anymore that he/she has to retire? There are cops who may be worthless in a foot chase but have years of experience on the job that I'd rather have by my side than some idiot who can run 5 miles without getting winded. What about bosses? Do you want to lose a great W/C and have him replaced by a bad boss just because he couldn't touch his toes? Working out is great, I do it on a regular basis but I'm also single without kids. I'd have a great deal of admiration for officers who work a full tour, watch their kids while their spouse is at their job, and perhaps work a second job to pay for the ever rising expenses in this city. Not to mention OT, court, etc. They don't have the free time I do. To sum up, and sorry for the long post, there are different aspects of this job. Some excel on some point, some others. Very few excel on them all. To eliminate based on, or concentrate on one aspect of the job, physical ability, is just plan stupid.

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 9014 users online. 210 members and 8804 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X