300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you kidding me?

This headline should read "County finds whole new way to award friends a contract"

Judge OKs private guards for 'dangerously understaffed' Cook County Juvenile Center

May 8, 2008

BY STEVE PATTERSON Staff Reporter [email protected]
    A federal judge says the Cook County Juvenile Temporary Detention Center is “dangerously understaffed” and immediately gave approval for the director there to bring in a private security firm to help fill vacant jobs.

U.S. District Judge John Nordberg issued the ruling today on a request by director Earl Dunlap, who has complained that nearly half of the center’s 500 jobs are vacant or filled by employees who are on disability or repeatedly call in sick.

RELATED STORIES
    Juvenile center chief dressed down
    He wants to bring in a private security firm for the less active overnight shift, while moving those third-shift workers to empty slots on the day shift.

That move was fought by an employees’ union, as the third shift is desired by senior staffers because it is less strenuous.

But Nordberg said the center is at a “crisis” level and additional help must be brought in on a temporary basis.

post-deleted
    Last edited by d10mack; 05-16-2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

How would any of you like to be the $8.25 per hour Private Security Guard to get this gig?

Comment

Correctional Officers should be afraid, very afraid. I hope this is not used as a precedent.

I hope this does not have the ability to open the door for private security for CCDOC on just an "emergency basis" at first. You know kind of get your foot in the door type of thing.

Next thing you know, there is a whole crew of private CO's.

Comment

post-deleted
          Last edited by d10mack; 05-16-2008, 08:15 AM.

Comment

It was my understanding that illinois state law bans this type of thing (private correctional facilities and public facilities using private employees). A federal court cannot overturn that, and its ruling may in fact not be binding.

Comment

post-deleted
              Last edited by d10mack; 05-16-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

The definitions are very similar, an attorney could probably argue that the juvenile detention center meets the criteria for the definition of a correctional facility. In fact I would imagine more correcting goes on within the juv facility. It would be an issue for the court to define, and "activist judges" ,as they are sometimes called,would have to rule on that. But the spirit of the law would show that both are similar enough to be covered by that law against privitization.

And if this is in fact something they end up doing, the disaster that awaits them will be massive and short lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Euclid47 View Post
                  It was my understanding that illinois state law bans this type of thing (private correctional facilities and public facilities using private employees). A federal court cannot overturn that, and its ruling may in fact not be binding.
                  Laws can be changed if the situation is deemed successful.

Comment

Fortunately in the history of private corrections it has never been found to be anything but unsuccessful.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8760 users online. 217 members and 8543 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X