300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decatur

Looks like they'll be hiring handing out apps. until August. Anyone have any info on the area/dept? From what I hear it can be compared tol Harvey or Robbins, but nothing is around the place. Anyone know where cops can live safely down there? Or what kind of social life a copper/non-banger can have around there? Seems like a place to get action and then lat-move, I couldn't see many families getting raised there. Is there a college in the area that we could go to finish our degrees? Thanks in advance for any facts/opinions.

You're maybe 30 miles or so from Springfield and same the other way from Champaign. I've heard Decateur is a pretty "fast" town, but it's not all ghetto. Lot of area around the city, mostly rural.

Comment

Decatur definitely isn't anything like Harvey or Robbins. There are some rough areas like in any town of size and then there are areas of multi-mil $$$ houses which you won't have to worry about living in since you won't be able to afford the neighborhood. It's basically a blue collar town with heavy employment by the likes of ADM which is HQed there. However, there a lot of high dollar white collar jobs with several major companies HQed in Decatur along with the college.
      Lots of places in and around Decatur that are safe to live, alot safer than most of the Chicagoland area.
      Families have been getting raised in and around Decatur for many years and many of them are doing very well, far better than cops in most communities. Kind of strange you would say "I couldn't see many families getting raised there." Only about 100,000 every year for about the past 200 years. If you check your history you'll find that Decatur was doing quite well back when Chicago was a small town on the lake. It's also pretty strange saying "nothing is around the place." Very odd statement.
      Millikin U is in Decatur. It's a very highly rated private college. http://www.millikin.edu/
      About 30 miles to the east of Decatur is UofI at Champaign-Urbana. About 30 miles to the west of Decatur is UofI at Springfield. Springfield also has Springfield College, a private university. About 30 miles NW of Decatur is Lincoln College which is a private college. About 30 miles north of Decatur is IL State U at Normal. About 45 miles SE of Decatur is Eastern IL U at Charleston. There are also several junior colleges in the area.
      Before you decide to take up the Decatur PD's time and effort why don't you make a trip to Decatur to see what the area is like before applying. Maybe you aren't cut out for the town.
      183 FBINA

Comment

ISPCAPT, sounds like you took my words personally. I understand it's not JUST bangers and rednecks, but seeing as how I have been in Chicago my whole life it might not be what I'm used to. I do plan on heading down there before I apply, I also took it upon myself to ask for peoples opinions as well as facts on the area. I appreciate both of yours and will take them into consideration. If there isn't as much action as Harvey and Robbins then I don't see it being worth the move then. I looked at their stats and it says they had 10 murders in 2006, which is less than Waukegan, and they are about the same size. Waukegan is still tame compared to Harvey and Robbins, so I'll continue to research.

Comment

I didn't take your comments personally. It's just that your comments are rather immature. They also give a pretty good indication of someone who is pretty self absorbed and not very well informed of the big world outside of Chicagoland and their home. You've shown that with these comments:
          "I couldn't see many families getting raised there."
          "what kind of social life a copper/non-banger can have around there"
          "nothing is around the place."
          "Anyone know where cops can live safely down there?"
          "Is there a college in the area "
          It's also strange that you compare an area based on murder rates.
          It's probably not an area where you would be happy and where the people probably wouldn't be happy with you.
          183 FBINA

Comment

Seeing as how I want to be a real police officer, I would think that comparing places by crime/murder rates is a good idea. And even though there are other things in the area, they might as well be nothing compared to Chicago. I guess I'm just ignorant as to how many professional, educated, and family-oriented people are moving to a blue collar city in the middle of nowhere. Of course, Springfield is the capitol, so I'm sure theres tons of great things going on there. Sorry that I need more than Lincolns house to entertain me.

Comment

You're not a real police officer if you're not dealing with violent crime on a daily basis in Harvey or Robbins?

I've worked at the night clubs in Harvey and Dolton. There is nothing pretty about the problems that can arise just at a night club. I couldn't imagine dealing with the daily stress of looking over an entire city like Harvey with all the stuff that happens there.

Comment

No no, I'm not saying that you need to be in the **** to be a real police officer, I'm saying that I want to be in an environment that involves more than making money for the city. I had a buddy that worked at a club in Harvey a while back too, doesn't sound like a safe area for anyone, even the coppers. What I meant is that if Decatur is just like Waukegan or Evanston then there's no reason I should leave my family, friends, and the city behind for it. If it's more like an extremely fast paced department then it's worth the migration until I get onto Chicago.
                Last edited by MorseAve1134; 05-06-2008, 11:48 PM. Reason: Sp.

Comment

For someone with no police experience you sure seem to know a lot about it.

Comment

MorseAve:

Spoken like a true A**....ISPCAPT, please educate him and bring him back to reality.

Comment

MorseAve:

Spoken like a true *****

Comment

Speaking from experience it sounds like you probably won't be happy making the move from the city to Decatur. It's a huge culture shock for anyone and unless you're looking to make Decatur you're long-term career, I'd probably just stick with Chicago or a close by department. Otherwise, you're going to just make yourself miserable in the long run and you might end up stuck at a department you don't like. It's not all just about getting action when you get a police job, but you need to not just take the first job offered to you. I know it's good to try and get your foot in the door but if I was still without a job that doesn't mean I'm going to run to Ford Heights, Harvey, Markham, etc. to pick up an app. Not trying to compare those beautiful cities to Decatur but I'm just saying, don't apply to a place and waste your time and their time if you can't realistically fathom maybe making it your place to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfan07 View Post
                          Ford Heights
                          Sorry, my department has taken the policing of that town over.

Comment

Sepd40, I see that you are happy in a more rural setting, seeing as how you've been stuck in Elgin the past 11 years. But some of us are seeking a little more action, both on and off duty. Don't get butt hurt because you couldn't make it in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                              Don't get butt hurt because you couldn't make it in Chicago.
                              Now that's just an immature thing to say. I hope it's your age and lack of LEO experience speaking. But please don't belittle officers, regardless of the department they work for/with.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11645 users online. 447 members and 11198 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X