300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting an Academy

I've been digging around for an answer but can't find one.

Anyone have any info on penalties (fees) one would be charged if you quit/left an academy early (burbs, CPD, or ISP)?

I'm asking because I might take an offer for a department and IF one of my preferred departments came up after I go to the academy I want to have an idea if the fees are worth taking the second preference job.

Thanks,
    RyBaK

It would probably depend on your department, most make you sign a contract with them that you have to pay them back. There probably aren't very many departments that will take you if you've dropped out of an academy for non-medical purposes. Your best bet IMO would be to go through, get certified and if someone calls you in the process just tell them what's going on and asked to get bumped down on the list.

Just my 2 cents though...
    Academy start date-7 April
    Academy graduation- 20 June

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs1060 View Post
      It would probably depend on your department, most make you sign a contract with them that you have to pay them back. There probably aren't very many departments that will take you if you've dropped out of an academy for non-medical purposes. Your best bet IMO would be to go through, get certified and if someone calls you in the process just tell them what's going on and asked to get bumped down on the list.

Just my 2 cents though...
      What about the death of an immediate family member? I ran into this situation last year. If anyone wants to ask me about it, feel free to PM me!
      Last edited by JLH81; 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM. Reason: Poor grammar!

Comment

Originally posted by RyBaK477 View Post
        I've been digging around for an answer but can't find one.

Anyone have any info on penalties (fees) one would be charged if you quit/left an academy early (burbs, CPD, or ISP)?

I'm asking because I might take an offer for a department and IF one of my preferred departments came up after I go to the academy I want to have an idea if the fees are worth taking the second preference job.

Thanks,
        RyBaK
        1: be happy you got hired and are in the academy, there are hundreds wishing they were in your shoes

2: as someone stated above if you quit one department in the middle of the academy that looks way bad on you, especially if your doing it to go somewhere else.

3: none of us got hired upfront where we want just do your year or two and then lateral.

4: Dont burn your bridges, cause you will go up with them!
        Who you calling twig pigs? we prefer tree police thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ParkCop 23 View Post
          1: be happy you got hired and are in the academy, there are hundreds wishing they were in your shoes
          Bingo!

Comment

I know there are several departments in Virginia that will require you to pay the department back if you leave while in the academy, while in FTO, or even a year after completed the academy. Just depends on the department.

I would also concur with ParkCop23, just be happy you got hired!
            Last edited by Arewethereyet; 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Be happy you made it to an academy, period.

Comment

I appreciate all of the opinions. As always, I'm just gathering info. A few circumstances at my current employer have got me a little stressed about a good career choice versus taking the first thing that comes along. Like a lot of folks on this website I have a wife a kids to think about with this decision.

Good Luck,

RyBaK
                Last edited by RyBaK477; 05-01-2008, 08:08 PM. Reason: spilling iz noh gud

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13770 users online. 453 members and 13317 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X