300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple CPD q's I couldn't find.

When you graduate the academy, are you assigned to a totally random district? As time goes by, how do you switch to a different district? Does your residency within the city matter where you will work?
    Trying to figure out where to move to and not drive an hour to work. That got boring real fast with my current job.
    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
    When you graduate the academy, are you assigned to a totally random district? As time goes by, how do you switch to a different district? Does your residency within the city matter where you will work?
    Trying to figure out where to move to and not drive an hour to work. That got boring real fast with my current job.

In the past they tend to try to keep north people north and south people south, but the actual answer is you can be assigned anywhere where the department has a need.

There have been northsiders who went to Englewood for example.

You can bid to a different district or be moved at management's option by request.

Comment

you will be sent to a "training district" unless brass is not doing that anymore. generally, they will try to keep you close to your residence. i know someone who lived on the northside and was assigned to a far southside dist. 45 minute drive one way. while your on probation they can still move to another district to another. when your probation is up, you should be assign no more than two districts away from your residence unless you request to stay at that district. also, you can bid to a district if there are openings. you can always talk to a district commander to get into his district. if they take you on management then it does not matter if their are openings.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeycop95 View Post
        you will be sent to a "training district" unless brass is not doing that anymore. generally, they will try to keep you close to your residence. i know someone who lived on the northside and was assigned to a far southside dist. 45 minute drive one way. while your on probation they can still move to another district to another. when your probation is up, you should be assign no more than two districts away from your residence unless you request to stay at that district. also, you can bid to a district if there are openings. you can always talk to a district commander to get into his district. if they take you on management then it does not matter if their are openings.

Actually I am not so sure about that two district away thing. They might try to do it but it is not guaranteed, especially when they get a whole group of people who live up north.

Comment

there was something in a previous contract about being assigned to a district more that 2 from your residing district. i'm not sure if it still in the contract. an officer got put into my district not by his choice, unsure if he lives more than 2 dist. away. i do know that he filed a grievance w/the fop about being assigned to my dist. i ll check and post something.

Comment

What dist. do you work in?

Comment

apparently, we gave up the 2 district away from your residence in a previous contract. so the dept. can assign you to any dist.

Comment

Good job FOP.

Comment

There never was any thing in the contract about assigning you 2 Dists or less away from your residence. At least not in the last 25 years.

Used to be chances were if you lived north, you worked north, south, south, and near south, north, or west, you may go west.

In the last 10 years, we've had, as you can see on this board, more and more suburbanites getting hired. It seems a lot move to trendy areas like north and near west areas. Well, there's not enough spots north for all the northsiders to work, so welcome to Englewood, Grand Crossing, Deering, and even Roseland.
                  Of course, you may get lucky and go to Fillmore, Austin, or Marquette.

Realistically, there's manpower needs in these areas and a bunch of northsiders will go there, if there's not enough ss's to go there.

I'd move south, then you'll have a shorter commute, then when you have some time on, bid out and move where ever you want.
                  Last edited by ChiTownDet; 05-02-2008, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    I'd move south, then you'll have a shorter commute, then when you have some time on, bid out and move where ever you want.
                    I have some family willing to rent an apartment cheap around Long and Fullerton. Doesn't seem to be too far from everything and a decent area. What do you think? I need to be as far NW as possible given it won't be a long drive to work. My fiancee has to stay near Harper College in Palatine so I don't want the drive to be too long for her to visit

Comment

Long and Fullerton, I'd rent, don't buy. Realize that you can still end up driving to 111th-Cottage, or 61st-Racine to work..If you're lucky, or have juice (LOL), 011 or 015 wouldn't be bad at all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11580 users online. 409 members and 11171 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X