300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago PD To carry M4's?

So the Mayor announced that Chicago Police officers (regular rank and file line officers) are going to begin carrying M4's.

What do you think about this?

They are still deciding who is going to pay for the riffles and how they are to be carried, either kept in a squad car or on the individual officer.

What do you think they should do? Should they pay for them all and put them with everyone (even those who dont want them) or should they have the officers foot the bill and make it the officers choice to carry one?

I think that this is a good step forward. It always seems to take the largest department in IL (and one of th elargest in the nation) so much longer to impliment the changes that have been made by smaller departments 10 + years ago.

I love the idea. I'm a great shot with the M4, just check out my Call of Duty 4 stats.

All though I'm hopeful I don't expect to see officers with these anytime soon.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. We have shotguns now that are not allowed to be taken out by anybody. They don't trust the rank and file with a Taser, they won't be getting mini-machine guns anytime soon. Could you see little Richie have a vapor lock the first time someone gets smoked by the Police with an MP4? We're getting a lot of things being said by the Play Police Ex-G-Man (J-Fraud), but nothing being delivered. Before you start with the toys and crap, get us a contract that will take less than 3 yrs to settle in arbitration, stop getting federal indictments for P/O's who have been punished for an infraction and an end to that 6th work day. Get those taken care of, then go from there. Heck, we couldn't have a round chambered in a semi-auto BUG until the 90's, we ain't gonna see MP4's in a beat car.

Comment

I just recently qualified with the M16A1 for my dept. Chicago should be able to have rifle/carbines in the squads. Yeah people will be complaining about it, but if I were going someplace where my pistol will be drawn out, the rifle comes with me, not my shotty.

Could of used it on the cougar too.

Comment

There were only 3 times I ever saw a shotgun deployed in Chicago
          1. In the Academy at Marseilles
          2. During the Bulls Championship riots when I was stuck protecting a WIC store at 51st and State with the CHA Police
          3. Whenever I recovered them in a pinch.

Major Agencies across he nation have carried scatterguns for years. even after more progressive agencies went to rifles....AR15's, Ruger Mini 14's, and even those rifles chambered for pistol rounds. CPD stands about as good a chance of getting rifles issued to the troops as the airport police have of being armed with revolvers. They wont mount them in the cars and the first time they are stolen ....well lets just say it will be an example making CR.!!!

Another real concern is who are they gonna buy them from. Not many manufacturers are going to want to do business in a City with its noted gun posture and dismissed lawsuits. What kind are they gonna buy...Colts....not likely ....we are in a war guess who gets the priority.
          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Just like ChiTownDet posted....believe it when I see it. It going to take the dept. sometime to "figure" out a grant they could use to purchase the weapons. Then its going to take sometime to implement a training program for patrol officers to get qualified to use the M4's.

Comment

How about allowing officers to purchase their own? As far as training why not try and do it at the academy for new recruits? As far as recruits without I cannot tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
                How about allowing officers to purchase their own? As far as training why not try and do it at the academy for new recruits? As far as recruits without I cannot tell you.
                Possible but how many officers are going to spend $1,000+ on a rifle when they've already spent $500+ on a pistol?

Why do it at the academy for new recruits when they've just gotten onto the job and bought a $500+ pistol? Getting into more debt while at a new job wouldn't be my ideal situation.

What is the learning curve like for learning the rifle? To me, the rifle seems a lot more complicated than a pistol. I'm sure the military guys would have no problem at all with rifles. But for those who have never been, how long and how much would it cost to train them to use the rifle effectively?

I guess MP5's would be out of the question as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                  I guess MP5's would be out of the question as well?
                  MP5's have gone out of style and they are more expensive that M4's -- unless you pick some up used.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                    What kind are they gonna buy...Colts....not likely ....we are in a war guess who gets the priority.
                    Donno. I bought a Colt in 11/06, are they harder to get now?

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                      Possible but how many officers are going to spend $1,000+ on a rifle when they've already spent $500+ on a pistol?
                      Lots of our guys did. When the Chief decided to authorize them, many of our officers bought one. Chance of a lifetime. (CA)

Comment

The M-4/m-16 is a lot easier to shoot than a pistol. Even without all those bells and whistles that you usually see on t.v. The iron sights alone are pretty accurate and easy to acquire a target with.
                        You can learn to fire that thing in a day. Really, it's not that complicated. The only difference is when you field strip it....take it a part. The bolt carrier group has a few pieces.
                        Don't be intimidated by it's size and caliber. 5.56/.223 doesn't really have a recoil. BTW, they don't cost $1000. You can find those things for less.

Comment

There was a time in the 80's that we pulled shotguns out for search warrents. That may have been our W/C being agreeable to letting us take them out and not the Dept. as a whole.

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                          . During the Bulls Championship riots when I was stuck protecting a WIC store at 51st and State with the CHA Police
                          Did you at least get a gyro on the cuff from Ollie's Trolly?

Comment

Wait until the check into the current ammo prices.

Comment

I would love to carry a M4, but im not holding my breath...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7283 users online. 407 members and 6876 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X