300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the academy, not employed, hired, sponsored

I know this is possible in quite a few states but is it true for Illinois? Am I able to pay may way through a police academy held at a regional academy or one setup through a community college? Is this done in Illinois or do I need to be hired or sponsored before I can attend?
    Paid to watch 30 second ads|CopCars|Spiritual Wisdom|LotPatrol

I know at least at the academy at University of Illinois, they do not accept self sponsored cadets.

Minnesota is a state where you go through the academy on your own dime first and then are eligible for hire.

Comment

For part time academy you have to be sponsored by a department. Several years ago you used to be able to pay to attend the full time academy (Sponsored by Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board). I know they stopped it a few years back - but someone told me they were still doing it. The only way to find out is to call 217-782-4540 and ask. If you do, reply back and report your findings.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I will give them a call Monday.

If you weren't able to pay your own way I think it would be a little backwards for a lot of smaller cities and colleges who have their own police to require to to be certified before you apply. It would seem the only people they would be able to hire would be those who had already worked for another department but left for one reason or another.
        Paid to watch 30 second ads|CopCars|Spiritual Wisdom|LotPatrol

Comment

Originally posted by AuxiTrooper View Post

If you weren't able to pay your own way I think it would be a little backwards for a lot of smaller cities and colleges who have their own police to require to to be certified before you apply. It would seem the only people they would be able to hire would be those who had already worked for another department but left for one reason or another.

Actually for the first time there will be an academy starting this May where you can pay your own way. It is through the Suburban Law Enforcement Academy SLEA. It is being started at Harper College in Palatine. And yes this is a fact, my sister is going to be in this academy, as well my dad is retired and works for Harper PD now. So I'd look into applying there.
          THE WORLD IS YOURS

Comment

Originally posted by AuxiTrooper View Post

But why would they hire someone who is certified, when they can hire someone who is certified, has been to extra in-sevice training and is an EXPERIENCED Police Officer, needing no (or very little) FTO time?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
              But why would they hire someone who is certified, when they can hire someone who is certified, has been to extra in-sevice training and is an EXPERIENCED Police Officer, needing no (or very little) FTO time?
              Because these small departments who require people to already certified usually dont pay worth crap, and all they get are people who are retired working P/T and people who have washed out of bigger depts that sent them to the academy and are left without a job. I know this cause I used to work for one of those agency's, the age gap was 21-25 (wash outs!) and then started again at 50-60 (retiree's) and no one worked there more then 5 yrs and I think thats the record. Departments just do that cause they dont want to foot the bill for an academy full knowing their people are going to take it to a bigger department that pays more and leave them holding the bag. Its unfortunate because there are plenty of good and dedicated people wasting time sitting on these huge lists for departments that arent even hireing.
              Who you calling twig pigs? we prefer tree police thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Holydiver View Post
                Actually for the first time there will be an academy starting this May where you can pay your own way. It is through the Suburban Law Enforcement Academy SLEA. It is being started at ty in Palatine. And yes this is a fact, my sister is going to be in this academy, as well my dad is retired and works for Harper PD now. So I'd look into applying there.
                Here's Suburban LEA's Site:
                http://www.cod.edu/slea/

Comment

Originally posted by Holydiver View Post
                  Actually for the first time there will be an academy starting this May where you can pay your own way. It is through the Suburban Law Enforcement Academy SLEA. It is being started at Harper College in Palatine. And yes this is a fact, my sister is going to be in this academy, as well my dad is retired and works for Harper PD now. So I'd look into applying there.
                  Just wanted to clarify this as there is a small bit of mis-information: The "pay your own way" academy at SLEA is an experimental internship program. There are no official self-sponsored academy classes being offered at SLEA.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                    Just wanted to clarify this as there is a small bit of mis-information: The "pay your own way" academy at SLEA is an experimental internship program. There are no official self-sponsored academy classes being offered at SLEA.
                    Correct me if I am wrong, per the letter from ILETSB, located on the webpage, students are still leaving with a State certification once the 440 hours are completed.
                    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Originally posted by LockednLoaded View Post
                      Correct me if I am wrong, per the letter from ILETSB, located on the webpage, students are still leaving with a State certification once the 440 hours are completed.
                      What I mean is...SLEA does not have an official self-sponsored program...not yet anyway. The class they are having now (or will be having in May) is an experimental intern class. The students will still receive their certification, but as of right now, SLEA hasn't announced they are offering a self-sponsored or pay your own way academy.

Essentially, if you didn't get in on this class...you're out of luck far as self-sponsoring is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                        What I mean is...SLEA does not have an official self-sponsored program...not yet anyway. The class they are having now (or will be having in May) is an experimental intern class. The students will still receive their certification, but as of right now, SLEA hasn't announced they are offering a self-sponsored or pay your own way academy.

Essentially, if you didn't get in on this class...you're out of luck far as self-sponsoring is concerned.
                        Spark of my interest I just called SLEA and you are right. This is only a test phase with the class starting in June. But, and there is a but, you must have a Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement degree or working towards one through Harper College. It is an intern class that will be receiving their State Certifications when it is completed. And the Board of SLEA will meet after this eleven week course is finished and decide if they are going to make it a self-sponsorship program.
                        "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Originally posted by LockednLoaded View Post
                          Spark of my interest I just called SLEA and you are right. This is only a test phase with the class starting in June. But, and there is a but, you must have a Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement degree or working towards one through Harper College. It is an intern class that will be receiving their State Certifications when it is completed. And the Board of SLEA will meet after this eleven week course is finished and decide if they are going to make it a self-sponsorship program.
                          I'll admit...deep down....I was hoping I'd be wrong

At any rate, at least someone is working towards providing alternatives other than what is currently out there for those pursuing LE. I think it sounds like a great idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10289 users online. 325 members and 9964 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X