300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago PD hiring?

Does anyone know when Chicago Police department will be testing again? I have been curious as there seems to be a shortage of police according to Secondcitycop's blog.

I have heard they are still on 2006 people but I do believe there is a large shortage of people. I have heard around 9,500 people out of a supposed 14,000 are the real numbers.

I have family in Chicago waiting to test. I want to test for departments out there as my girlfriend is from Miami but I would like to test for Chicago as well.
    Last edited by Oldskoolfan; 04-25-2008, 07:57 PM.

Yep, they are still on 2006 people. It'll probably be a while before they test again since there are literally thousands of people waiting to be processed.

The thing about CPD being shorthanded is that no matter how many they are short, the academy can only hold so many new recruits at a time. And then it takes months for those recruits to hit the streets.

It's not like McDonalds where you can hire people, train them on the job and have them work effectively almost immediately.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa Edmond, your comment is absolutely ridicuolous! Since when do McDonald's employees work effectively?

Comment

There are no plans to offer a test this year, to the best of my knowledge. It seems like the department dropped the idea of two tests a year.

Comment

So some time next year they will be testing?

Comment

As I said before, testing 2-4 times a year is not a good idea. They are only going to hire 600-700 per year. If they test 2 X per yr., then they would have to take the top couple hundred from the list and dump the rest of the list. At the rate they are going, I wouldn't bet on a test in '08 at all. Then they will test like they did, every 2 years or so, exhaust the list before they test again. You can read about whether we have 9500 or 13500 on the job, but they are not hiring 3000 coppers in addition to attrition (retirements, resignations, duty disabilities, separations= 600-700per yr.). Then make no mistake about it, if the racial balance is not kept, the list will get scrapped, or you will wait until whatever "flavor" there is a shortage of has more qualified off the next list.

If you're getting "antsy" now over the tests and hiring, wait until you experience promotional exams and "meritorious" promotions. You better score better than 70% of the people taking the test and if the Mayor thinks the racial balance on the list is not what the play-reverands or certain alder-mutts think it should be, the list gets scrapped, even if only one class is made off of it.

Comment

Hey ChiTownDet, the play-reverends and certain alder-mutts affect the police hiring process due in part to a racial balance???
              ~Delta

Comment

They do. They are always looking at the racial makeup of the Dept., screaming if it doesn't "reflect" the racial make up of the city. If it was all on the "up and up," the city would give you a score and rank order to be hired. This list would also be posted either online or at City Hall, just like most of the suburbs do. You wouldn't get a random number somehow generated from you social security number kind of BS. Make no mistake, Richie will cow tow to whatever group is the one that brings him and his cronies the votes needed to keep them in office. If one-armed pygmie eskamos could bring in 20K votes for him, we would be hiring them in droves..

Comment

Could they use the Psych exam to keep the racial balance in tact? A number of people may pass the psych but if too many pass then they have to DQ a certain number of individuals for the 'balance' to remain stable.
                  ~Delta

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    They do. They are always looking at the racial makeup of the Dept., screaming if it doesn't "reflect" the racial make up of the city. If it was all on the "up and up," the city would give you a score and rank order to be hired. This list would also be posted either online or at City Hall, just like most of the suburbs do. You wouldn't get a random number somehow generated from you social security number kind of BS. Make no mistake, Richie will cow tow to whatever group is the one that brings him and his cronies the votes needed to keep them in office. If one-armed pygmie eskamos could bring in 20K votes for him, we would be hiring them in droves..
                    I like the way you think. So chances are it will be in 2009 then?

Comment

As I said before, testing 2-4 times a year is not a good idea. They are only going to hire 600-700 per year. If they test 2 X per yr., then they would have to take the top couple hundred from the list and dump the rest of the list. At the rate they are going, I wouldn't bet on a test in '08 at all. Then they will test like they did, every 2 years or so, exhaust the list before they test again. You can read about whether we have 9500 or 13500 on the job, but they are not hiring 3000 coppers in addition to attrition (retirements, resignations, duty disabilities, separations= 600-700per yr.). Then make no mistake about it, if the racial balance is not kept, the list will get scrapped, or you will wait until whatever "flavor" there is a shortage of has more qualified off the next list.
                      That explanation makes a lot of sense. I honestly never thought of it that way. I just would like to test for Chicago PD as I love the city and a job there may convince the girlfriend to stay in Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by DELTAFORCEWOLF View Post
                        Could they use the Psych exam to keep the racial balance in tact? A number of people may pass the psych but if too many pass then they have to DQ a certain number of individuals for the 'balance' to remain stable.
                        The city can use whatever test or phase of the testing that does not have definitive answers attached. The written is either True/false or answer A,B,orC is the correct one. They had an "Assessment Center" when I came on. You were graded on things like "taking charge of the group," "Innovative answers," etc. Then exempts and Capt's Lt's scored the people in the group. Then, I believe 2 exempts were picked to have their high scorers knocked out. Guess what race these high scorers were? They also had "race norming." This is where to pass and go on to the next step in the process, you had to have a certain score according to your race. This was for a promotional test I took. I had an 89, but white males needed a 90 to pass. Others needed 80 and one group was 70 to pass. They ran a Sgt's test a few years back that was graded by an outside firm that only identified the test takers by number. The firm had no idea if you were male/female, white/black/hispanic. The first class in rank order to be made off this list consisted of about 120 people. Over 100 of these were a certain race. Little Richie blew a gasket and ripped down the list earlier that he said he would. The next Sgt's list is the one that started "meritorious" promos. The city won't post what the parameters or qualifications are that make for a "meritorious promotion." They also keep guarded when the promotions are posted, who is off the list and who is "meritorious." They can absolutely use the psych to knock out whomever they want to.

Comment

They can absolutely use the psych to knock out whomever they want to.
                          Ah, because the psych is a part of the process that can not be appealed, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                            Ah, because the psych is a part of the process that can not be appealed, right?
                            No, because nobody knows what criteria they are using in evaluating you in the psych. Who knows what a right or wrong answer is in there..
                            How do you figure out who gets bounced and who doesn't with questions like:

"Have you ever been in a fight?"
                            "Have you ever got angry at someone?"
                            "Did you ever yell at your parents?"
                            "Would you rather work in your garden or build a garage?"
                            etc, etc..

You tell me who you want to pass or not pass and I can give you a boiler plate expalnation for DQ'ing them or not..

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I saw rumors in a previous thread that Chicago may begin testing again in November of this year. Is there any truth to that? Or with the new Superintendent will that be changed to get things to fit his own agenda and standards?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9751 users online. 453 members and 9298 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X