300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back surgery and police work....

Hey! I was wondering if there was anybody out there who's had back surgery or any medical history of a back injury and your resulting hire-ability as an LEO. Has anybody ever been DQ'd because of that? I had a laminectomy (to relieve sciatica) a few years ago, and it has never gotten in the way of my being able to perform any duty as a police officer. In fact, I'm in better physical shape now, than I was 10 years ago! (and my back actually feels great when I'm wearing a duty belt, believe it or not!)

So, I'm in the running for a position with another department, and I was honest and open about the surgery. I asked the person reviewing my background info if that would disqualify me and he said no, but one never knows. Anybody else have similar situations and how did that work out for you?
    What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

The original "point and click" interface was a Smith and Wesson

If someone had a problem with your back surgery, they certainly would never tell you...can you imagine the lawsuits if that were true?

This is one thing you shouldn't stress over. You're in great shape, your Dr. will confirm that, and you are fit to do the job already. I don't see why another agency would not hire you (for that specific reason).

I don't know about you but I have personally stressed over every single little detail of my present/past life for a career in LE...isn't that amazing how we do that to ourselves when really - they are just that - little (and sometimes irrelevant) things?

Comment

Oh, I hear ya on being stressed about every little thing! I resemble that remark! (you can imagine how I felt after taking the psych test!) Sometimes, all it takes is for someone to confirm that it's ok to relax a little, and I'm fine. (thank you!) But it still concerns me. (can't help it!)
      What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

Comment

I would believe that or any other thing would be covered under the americans with disablities act. However, they can't say anything to you about it if you pass the Medical exam. If the doctor gives you the A OK pat on the back and you can physically pass the power test then you should have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Check out http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Musculo.pdf

While the standards are for California, the principles are fairly universal for law enforcement.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            Check out http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Musculo.pdf

While the standards are for California, the principles are fairly universal for law enforcement.
            Wow, that's quite a lengthy document, but very informative. Thanks for that info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The fact that I got a 97% on the physical agility test should be proof enough that I'm capable of doing the job, but I know they'll probably put me through a battery of other tests during the medical exam. I say, BRING IT ON!!!

Comment

Originally posted by copchick11 View Post
              Wow, that's quite a lengthy document, but very informative. Thanks for that info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The fact that I got a 97% on the physical agility test should be proof enough that I'm capable of doing the job, but I know they'll probably put me through a battery of other tests during the medical exam. I say, BRING IT ON!!!
              The thing to remember is that under ADA rules, the only peope who are authorized to discuss your medical issues with you are those persons who are medically qualified to pass judement over your physical fitness to perform the duties of the job.

With this in mind, unless it is the department physician, most people will not discuss specific medical condition with you. If they do, they are just taking a wild guess and are not authorized to speak on behalf of the department.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks, L-1, I'll definitely keep those points in mind. I understand with the ADA laws, there's nothing they can say or do until the doc says yea or nay. I'll just have to wait and see what the doc says. I'm crossing my fingers that it's good. Thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11739 users online. 446 members and 11293 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X