300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVC Question+suspended's

i stopped a car the other day..because the 28 did not match the vehicle. it was a mustang and i was getting a buick on my screen. i stopped the car and long story short he had two warrants and suspended. However, when i first made contact with him, he stated he had just bought the vehicle and had not recieved the new reg. or the dealer had not transferred the plates yet, whatever it may be..me and another officer were debating on ...can u drive a new vehicle if the reg. has not reansferred over yet?..even if you just bought it? or is there a grace period?..or paperwork to prove its ok? second, if the 28 does not match..can we seize the plates and send them to sos?
    and while im on the topic...suspended DL's...if they pay there re-enstatement fees...does it come up as valid through LEASDS right away...because i've had guys show me paperwork..but nothing to show me there valid...would a reenstatment reciept work?

Originally posted by Sk797 View Post
    i stopped a car the other day..because the 28 did not match the vehicle. it was a mustang and i was getting a buick on my screen. i stopped the car and long story short he had two warrants and suspended. However, when i first made contact with him, he stated he had just bought the vehicle and had not recieved the new reg. or the dealer had not transferred the plates yet, whatever it may be..me and another officer were debating on ...can u drive a new vehicle if the reg. has not reansferred over yet?..even if you just bought it? or is there a grace period?..or paperwork to prove its ok? second, if the 28 does not match..can we seize the plates and send them to sos?
    and while im on the topic...suspended DL's...if they pay there re-enstatement fees...does it come up as valid through LEASDS right away...because i've had guys show me paperwork..but nothing to show me there valid...would a reenstatment reciept work?

In KY, the tag stays with the vehicle...I believe in IL the tag stays with the owner (meaning the tag gets moved from car to car owned by the same person). Therefore, his explanation doesn't make sense. Plus a dealer should know to issue a temp tag...a private buyer/seller arrangement should get a temp tag from a title agency.

When I get mismatched tags, I'll run the VIN of the vehicle I have and see what comes back. That can often help iron out some issues. If the person is using bogus plates to drive on, I'll generally seize the tags as evidence of "improper registration plate" at a minimum.
    My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

I'd like to know the answer as well because I'm hoping to pick up a new car today.

Since I just renewed my plates in Jan., I don't want to pay for new plates so I'm transfering.

Comment

When you get the new car, you should have the bill of sale and whether the plates from the old one are being transferred or new plates are on order, a "license applied for" displayed on the ride. People think that when they only get totally new plates they need the Lic. Appl.For. Now, I've been out of the traffic game for quite a while and if this changed, sorry for the wrong info. In reality, the first stop from the dealer should be to SOS or a currancy exch.for these.

That said, when you do get new plates on your car, see how long it takes SOS to put them in the system. It's gone from a few days, to a few months for vehicles I've bought. I imagine the D/L reinstatement can take a while also, depending on whose desk the paperwork dropped on at SOS and how fast they imput it. If the guy had the reinstate papers on him(and they looked legit), I'd give him a play.

Comment

Here's an answer from a car dealer...and an auxiliary officer (so...2 cents for being a dealer...and 3 cents back for being an auxi.!!!)

His explanation makes a little bit of sense because most dealers have to send the transfer paperwork to the S.O.S. for them to do the transfer. As already mentioned it can take a long time. Some other dealers (myself), actually do the transfer here and I print out the new reg. card and hand it to the vehicle owner. HOWEVER, it still takes a couple of days before it would come up in LEADS if the 28 were run. This is because it's a third-party system. For that matter, I also issue REAL license plates straight from the dealership....no temp tags here.

However, he should still have a bill of sale or something showing the car was just purchased and plates transferred.

ChiTownDet - there are no more "license applied for" stickers available for display. You're showing your age. j/k.

Far as seizing the plates is concerned.....that's a good question I don't have the answer for. If you seized the pates what would you do with the car? You can't have him drive off without plates.....do you impound the car as well? Have him park it only? I thought there was an IVC for improper registration relating to this plate scenario we're discussing now that would allow you to write him without necessarily having to seize the plates (assuming, of course, the plates aren't stolen).

Comment

SK797, do you work for a small department where no one would already have this knowledge or are you afraid to ask a more experienced Officer because it seems odd to me to ask a question on a forum, not ask a more coworker...but anyway...

So to answer the questions briefly, unless there is transfer paper work for the plates, then no, they shouldn't be driving it. You could ticket for Improper Use of Reg (5/3-703), or Failure to Secure New Registration (don't remember the # off the top of my head), or write both, I have. Either way, you are giving them the tickets and sending them on their way with a court date, you can't "hold" the car, etc., unless you believe it to be stolen, etc., of course.

No, you are not seizing plates. The old owner was wrong for leaving the plates on, but trust me, SOS doesn't want you sending them that junk in the mail, they don't care. There is no grace period. The way it should be is old owner takes off plates, new owner must transfer, or apply for new plates, before he drives the vehicle. The vehicle also must be insured, no grace period there either.

Now about reinstating Suspended D/L's. SOS is VERY slow at times in lifting the Suspended status through the computer. It can take them weeks to get people's D/L in order. As long as the reinstatement paperwork looks legit, which I have probably seen it at least 15 times so I know what it looks like, go with what the paperwork says because the SOS system is horrible. How often have you seen mispelled Cities, street names, etc. when you run things through LEADS?
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

i'll write them reguardless what they tell or show me. i tell them to bring the proof to court.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeycop95 View Post
                i'll write them reguardless what they tell or show me. i tell them to bring the proof to court.
                I hope you show some discretion with this? I think Soccer Mom would pull alot more weight if she pulls out a folder of papers and she can give you a detailed account of what took place and how she corrected it as oppossed to Mr. Gangbanger that pulls a crumpled piece of paper out of the glovebox.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                  I hope you show some discretion with this? I think Soccer Mom would pull alot more weight if she pulls out a folder of papers and she can give you a detailed account of what took place and how she corrected it as oppossed to Mr. Gangbanger that pulls a crumpled piece of paper out of the glovebox.
                  I'd imagine Mr. Gangbanger would still get some discretion shown as well as long as he can pull another crumpled piece of paper from the glovebox which would be the bill of sale showing plates being transferred.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                    I'd imagine Mr. Gangbanger would still get some discretion shown as well as long as he can pull another crumpled piece of paper from the glovebox which would be the bill of sale showing plates being transferred.
                    bill of sale! lmao who we kidding...Mr. Gangbanger would have an ID if we're lucky

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11010 users online. 438 members and 10572 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X