Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what Steve is referring too is the the amount of people applying for 20 or so slots. I would wager that many departments have a huge rate as no job is guaranteed. Las Vegas which has 1400 more officers have a 70% failure rate at the entry process.The academy's washout rate is very low. IMHO we are picky but not that picky. I was declined military serve in ALL branches but here I am with APD. Go figure, you want something you have to take a risk.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

With the 350,000+ people in the metro-Anchorage area, and hundreds of military personnel in the area leaving the military when their tours in Alaska are over, why do you guys have to go to different parts of the lower 48 to only recruit 20 people?

Comment

Originally posted by panzertank1 View Post
        With the 350,000+ people in the metro-Anchorage area, and hundreds of military personnel in the area leaving the military when their tours in Alaska are over, why do you guys have to go to different parts of the lower 48 to only recruit 20 people?
        Ahhh,that is the question!
        Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

Comment

Originally posted by panzertank1 View Post
          Though I am not a recruiter I know that we have reached to the military here. Those who are forced here now have to decide on staying. A lot of people don't like it here as they did not grow up here. Our dept. is made of with quite a bit of military folks that were stationed here at one time. The local pool is a bit harder to recruit and laterals are what I bet they are aiming at. Since many don't want to enter those already in are the targets. PHXPD offers laterals to buy back 5 years of prior LE time....
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

In January I applied to the Alaska State Troopers. The Troopers do their background Investigation first (if you're from the lower 48)and after that your file goes to a review board and they select the candidates that they are interested in. If they choose you, that means they are really interested in you( keeping in mind you must pass a physical test, poly, interviews and psych after being chosen)
            I find out on the 10th whether or not I've been invited.
            THe good news is that I'm very close to a job in Dallas, TX and need only complete the psyche and docs exam to get the job.
            The bad news, I liked the idea of moving to Alaska. It seems like one helluvan adventure. I'll probably choose Dallas but I'm sure a part of me will always wonder if I made the right choice.

Best of luck to those who apply for APD. They are a great department in one of the Nation's greatest states.

Comment

Originally posted by gundog View Post
              Ahhh,that is the question!
              Just look at the #'s we have already talked about. There are only so many people here that are intersted and qualified. If we travel to area like Chicago we are drawing from a much larger applicant size. Still the majority of the people we do hire are locals, however more and more of our new employees are coming from out of state. In our last academy, over 1/3 of the new employees were from out of state.

Steve

Comment

all the difference of opinion captured my interest...how long is their hiring process?

Comment

Originally posted by CATM View Post
                  all the difference of opinion captured my interest...how long is their hiring process?
                  Typically it takes us about 3-4 months to complete the process. However it might be a bit longer for those that test in the lower 48, maybe another month give or take.

Steve

Comment

wish I would have know that 36 months ago....when I applied for chicago!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12734 users online. 488 members and 12246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X