Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage Police Department Recruiters Coming

Downers Grove, Illinois
    May 19, 20 Downers Grove Double Tree, 2111 Butterfield Rd, Downers Grove, IL

Recruiting and testing for APD. For details go to http://www.joinapd.org or if I can answer any questions PM me

Originally posted by Akhunter View Post
    Downers Grove, Illinois
    May 19, 20 Downers Grove Double Tree, 2111 Butterfield Rd, Downers Grove, IL

Recruiting and testing for APD. For details go to http://www.joinapd.org or if I can answer any questions PM me
    Sweet!! I am defintely interested.

Comment

I looked at this once. I might have done it if i could get my wife to agree. The pay is high, but remeber prices can be higher there, and the endless nights and days take time to get use to, and brings out the crazies. But for someone single I would say take it.
      Last edited by panzertank1; 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Myths about Alaska

As the recruiter for the department I find myself spending most of my time talking weather, hours of daylight and cost of living far more than the department, pay, benefits etc. I even had to go so far as to put flyers together to dispell some of these myths (its dark for 6 months, then light for 6 months, milk costs $10/gal, its alsmost cold there). The good thing about these myths is that it does keep a lot of people from coming here if they truely knew what it was like.

Anyway, I am the one coming to Downers Grove in May and if anyone wants to just stop by and say hi we will be there for about 2 1/2 days.

Steve

Comment

I was stationed for a year at Ft. Richardson, which is right outside Anchorage.

In the winter, it is freezing there. It rarely gets above freezing and is pretty cloudy and dark most of the day (in Dec. the days last from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm). It doesn't snow as much as you think it would though, but there is a ton of black ice and ice fog.

In the summer it rains a lot, and at night it can get down to the 50s. In the summer, there are only a few hours of night. The sun stays up past midnight, which can drive you a little batty till you get use to it.

The crime rate is high. On the news you hear about a lot of rapes, more than anywhere else I have ever lived. And a lot of domestics. Beer and the ‘midnight sun’ will do that to you. The police department does a good job, but IMHO they are severely understaffed when you consider the size of their jurisdiction.

As far as cost of living, most things expect fruits and veggies are than same price as in the lower 48. However, you spend a lot of money on your heating bill for your house or warming up your car. Natural and regular gas don’t cost more up there, you just have to use it a TON more. Even in the summer there are times you need the heat. The good thing is you hardly use your AC, if you even have it. And if you want to travel outside the state (like seeing your family, or a wedding) it can get expensive. And if you don’t like to hunt, fish, camp, rugby, ski, watch college sports or the number one pastime-drink, then you will get bored pretty quick.

I think going up there is a good thing for a young person without a family. It is an experience. It is also some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. In some ways it is magical. When I came back from Iraq and went there Alaska gave me a peace and tranquility I never felt before, and was better than any therapy you could ever get. And the Northern Lights (have to go outise the city), no words can describe it...

So give it a try. I am not trying to discourage anyone, and Steve, I am not trying to make your job harder, but I think everyone should know the real deal about it. Its Alaska, not Hawaii. I think the selling points of the Anchorage PD are that you are policing on the frontier (not many can say that), nature(which I think can be the best selling point) and that you will get a TON of experience if you decide to move back south someday. It is better than sitting in IL paying $50 to take a test with 500 other guys so you can be put on a waiting list and maybe get hired in a year or two. If I wasn't married and already hired by a department, I would go.
          Last edited by panzertank1; 04-26-2008, 12:14 AM.

Comment

You are way off on your facts

I have lived here since 1984 and I am providing correct information about Anchorage. People think it is dark for 6 months when the reality is the least amount of daylight we get is about 5 1/2 hours. You make this place sound like a cold dark dreary environment and you are wrong. There is not a ton of black ice, it occurs only temporarily and it spots. You are off on the heating in the summer, we will crack our windows wide open and there are many time we wish we had A/C in the house. I am thankful that I have it in all of my cars. No, this is not Hawaii and I never said that we have 90 weather (although they do get that in Fairbanks) and we do not have soft sandy beaches. Of course we also do not have any snakes! There are many ups and downs to living in any city/state, you seem to focus on what you believe are the negatives about Anchorage and then embelish a little. Not trying to beat you up, I just tired of hearing people who are misinformed or providing incorrect info. If you didn't like it here, then glad you moved and hopefully you like it whereever you are at now.

Not sure what you mean about the $50. We do not charge and would never charge anyway as part of our hiring process. You should never have to pay to apply for a job.

Maybe I should have waited to write this until after my first cup of coffee!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by alaskariverguy View Post
              I have lived here since 1984 and I am providing correct information about Anchorage. People think it is dark for 6 months when the reality is the least amount of daylight we get is about 5 1/2 hours. You make this place sound like a cold dark dreary environment and you are wrong. There is not a ton of black ice, it occurs only temporarily and it spots. You are off on the heating in the summer, we will crack our windows wide open and there are many time we wish we had A/C in the house. I am thankful that I have it in all of my cars. No, this is not Hawaii and I never said that we have 90 weather (although they do get that in Fairbanks) and we do not have soft sandy beaches. Of course we also do not have any snakes! There are many ups and downs to living in any city/state, you seem to focus on what you believe are the negatives about Anchorage and then embelish a little. Not trying to beat you up, I just tired of hearing people who are misinformed or providing incorrect info. If you didn't like it here, then glad you moved and hopefully you like it whereever you are at now.

Not sure what you mean about the $50. We do not charge and would never charge anyway as part of our hiring process. You should never have to pay to apply for a job.

Maybe I should have waited to write this until after my first cup of coffee!

Steve
              First thing, if you reread my post you see I am talking about paying to take police tests in IL.

I think my description of Anchorage is pretty spot-on. If you reread my post, please tell me point by point where I am wrong.

In the winter it is cloudy most of the time. Plus the sun comes up 5-7 hours days at most till spring, which is a fact. I never said you have to have your heating on all summer, but there is nights in the summer where it get to the 50s and you might need it. There is very few times you need AC in Anchorage.

If you reread my post you will see all the positive things I wrote. You are the one who has focused on the negative that I wrote. I did a tour as an Army recruiter, so I understand how you have to make the place sound a little less bleak. But let’s be honest, it is Alaska for god sakes! It is cold much of the year, plain and simple.

I can understand about the coffee. When I lived there I use to drink it by the gallon. When you get up in the winter and it is still pitch black at 9 in the morning, you need it!

Also, I was stationed in Alaska a couple years ago; I didn’t choose to live there. However, I did enjoy it. If you read my post again you will see all the positive things I wrote. Be honest with the potential recruits, tell them about the good and bad, and you will have them flocking there.

Comment

I moved to Alaska right out of high school from Virginia Beach and love it. No traffic, no long commutes, no crazy crime, no crazy heat, no taxes, and Hawaii is a 5 hour flight. I 'd rather have people think Alaska as an unpleasant place as it keeps the riff-raff out and the population low. I too used to think of the negatives but I have been here 12 years now.....
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Also, I was stationed in Alaska a couple years ago; I didn’t choose to live there. However, I did enjoy it. If you read my post again you will see all the positive things I wrote. Be honest with the potential recruits, tell them about the good and bad, and you will have them flocking there.[/QUOTE]

Being forced to live here by the military certainly explains your perception about Anchorage. I am sure that if I were forced to live in Texas I would hate it too, however if I chose to live there then I would have a whole different attitude. I choose to live here because it is a beautiful place with few people and lots of outdoor recreational opportunities. If I wanted to live where it was hot and humid and lots of people then I would move to Atlanta, but that is why I don't live in Atlanta!

Steve

Comment

Being forced to live here by the military certainly explains your perception about Anchorage. I am sure that if I were forced to live in Texas I would hate it too, however if I chose to live there then I would have a whole different attitude. I choose to live here because it is a beautiful place with few people and lots of outdoor recreational opportunities. If I wanted to live where it was hot and humid and lots of people then I would move to Atlanta, but that is why I don't live in Atlanta!

Steve
                    Are you serious? I was forced to live in Georgia and I loved it. What difference does that make?

I am giving an honest view about Anchorage. I am telling how it is straight up. You are a recruiter for the Anchorage PD, so I can see why you don’t want to state the negative. I have no stake in making Anchorage look bad.

All I can say to those considering going to Anchorage is to research the place yourself. Know what you are getting in to. Don’t go just because it is a cop job. Don’t not go just because it is not the most ideal place to live. There are advantages and disadvantages. Take what recruiters say with a grain of salt if everything they say is positive. There is a reason why some departments heavily recruit and others are extremely picky and choosy.

BTW, if you read my post AGAIN you will see that I liked Alaska.
                    Last edited by panzertank1; 05-02-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Here we go again

Originally posted by panzertank1 View Post
                      Are you serious? I was forced to live in Georgia and I loved it. What difference does that make?

I am giving an honest view about Anchorage. I am telling how it is straight up. You are a recruiter for the Anchorage PD, so I can see why you don’t want to state the negative. I have no stake in making Anchorage look bad.

All I can say to those considering going to Anchorage is to research the place yourself. Know what you are getting in to. Don’t go just because it is a cop job. Don’t not go just because it is not the most ideal place to live. There are advantages and disadvantages. Take what recruiters say with a grain of salt if everything they say is positive. There is a reason why some departments heavily recruit and others are extremely picky and choosy.

The 'forced to live in Georgia' was an illustration about someone not being happy to live in a place they don't want to. It would stand to reason that if you did not like it here but you like it in Georgia where it is hot and muggy (yes, I have been there and have relatives there) it would stand to reason that you would focus on only the negative aspects of living in Anchorage where it is not 100+ degrees with 90+ humidity. Hey, if you like living there, good for you. Me personally, I would hate it, which is why I choose not to live there. This is why I do not believe that your are "telling it straight up". Your opinion is jaded by your dislike for the region.

Yes, I am a recruiter but that does not mean that everything I have to say is sunshine and happy thoughts. My pay is not based on how many applicants I bring in, so I have nothing to gain by trying to misinform anyone. This is a 2 year assignment at which time I will go back to patrol and someone new will come in and take over. I work hard because it is the right thing to do. We recruit heavily because with a 95% washout rate just in our selection process it takes a lot work to find the right person for our department. Plus look at the fact that there are only about 700,000 people in the entire State of Alaska. We can go a region like Chicago where there is what, something like 2 million in Chigaco and 9 million in the outlying region. Gives us a much larger pool of applicants to choose from.

Maybe if you want to discuss our differences in more detail, feel free to PM me. This is not the place for us to try and have a discussion about who is trying to tell the truth as like anything, there are always two sides to every story because obviously you think I am not trying to tell the truth.

I will applaud you for telling people to do their research, if they do then will find out the correct information. If you would like to review our website you will see that we have information available about the cost of living, hours of daylight, high and low temperature information, etc, just to dispell some myths that people have about Anchorage and to tell it straight up!

Steve

Comment

I was thinking of testing for you guys. How many trips would I have to make to alaska for the out of state process? Its not cheap to fly to alaska. I was only hoping it would take one trip to complete the process.

Comment

The 'forced to live in Georgia' was an illustration about someone not being happy to live in a place they don't want to. It would stand to reason that if you did not like it here but you like it in Georgia where it is hot and muggy (yes, I have been there and have relatives there) it would stand to reason that you would focus on only the negative aspects of living in Anchorage where it is not 100+ degrees with 90+ humidity. Hey, if you like living there, good for you. Me personally, I would hate it, which is why I choose not to live there. This is why I do not believe that your are "telling it straight up". Your opinion is jaded by your dislike for the region.

Yes, I am a recruiter but that does not mean that everything I have to say is sunshine and happy thoughts. My pay is not based on how many applicants I bring in, so I have nothing to gain by trying to misinform anyone. This is a 2 year assignment at which time I will go back to patrol and someone new will come in and take over. I work hard because it is the right thing to do. We recruit heavily because with a 95% washout rate just in our selection process it takes a lot work to find the right person for our department. Plus look at the fact that there are only about 700,000 people in the entire State of Alaska. We can go a region like Chicago where there is what, something like 2 million in Chigaco and 9 million in the outlying region. Gives us a much larger pool of applicants to choose from.

Maybe if you want to discuss our differences in more detail, feel free to PM me. This is not the place for us to try and have a discussion about who is trying to tell the truth as like anything, there are always two sides to every story because obviously you think I am not trying to tell the truth.

I will applaud you for telling people to do their research, if they do then will find out the correct information. If you would like to review our website you will see that we have information available about the cost of living, hours of daylight, high and low temperature information, etc, just to dispell some myths that people have about Anchorage and to tell it straight up!

Steve
                          I’ll say it one more time-I LIKE ALASKA. I think that 99.99999% of the people reading this will GET that.

What part of the process is the 95% washout rate? If you are talking about the whole process (written, physical) that is misrepresentation. I would think of washout rate as those who don’t make it out of the Academy. I find 95% a little high; the Navy Seals don’t even have that kind of washout rate.

The reason most departments are more selective is because they don't have as high a turnover rate. What is the first and second year turnover rate for the APD?
                          Last edited by panzertank1; 05-02-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panzertank1 View Post
                            I’ll say it one more time-I LIKE ALASKA. I think that 99.99999% of the people reading this will GET that.

What part of the process is the 95% washout rate? If you are talking about the whole process (written, physical) that is misrepresentation. I would think of washout rate as those who don’t make it out of the Academy. I find 95% a little high; the Navy Seals don’t even have that kind of washout rate.

The reason most departments are more selective is because they don't have as high a turnover rate. What is the first and second year turnover rate for the APD?
                            The 95% washout rate is not a misrepresentation, well, sometimes it is actually 96% (the actual 2007 success rate was 4%). Typically 60% of our applicants won't pass the entry level test, 65% will pass the physical agility. About 60% of what's left will not move pass the preliminary interview. About 55% will not pass the psychological assessment. A very small percentage of the remaining applicants will not pass the polygraph or the background. These numbers are not exact but close to average. I don't want to try and portay the image that we are stuck on our selves, the reality is that we are very selective about who will respent our department in our community which is why we have such a high approval rating from our community. I am sure that sometimes a good candidate may get passed up in the process, but it is certainly one area where you would rather be too cautious about who hire. Of those that we hire the success rate through the academy and field training is about 65%. So obviously our selection process is not perfect. I don't have the turnover rate for the department, I can tell you that we loose very few people in the first couple of years, when we do it is usually a result of family issues. It happens so infrequently that usually everyone is wondering what's going on when someone leaves the department. I would guess that about 15 people a year leave the department with about 12-13 of those being retirements.

Steve

Comment

The 95% washout rate is not a misrepresentation, well, sometimes it is actually 96% (the actual 2007 success rate was 4%). Typically 60% of our applicants won't pass the entry level test, 65% will pass the physical agility. About 60% of what's left will not move pass the preliminary interview. About 55% will not pass the psychological assessment. A very small percentage of the remaining applicants will not pass the polygraph or the background. These numbers are not exact but close to average. I don't want to try and portay the image that we are stuck on our selves, the reality is that we are very selective about who will respent our department in our community which is why we have such a high approval rating from our community. I am sure that sometimes a good candidate may get passed up in the process, but it is certainly one area where you would rather be too cautious about who hire. Of those that we hire the success rate through the academy and field training is about 65%. So obviously our selection process is not perfect. I don't have the turnover rate for the department, I can tell you that we loose very few people in the first couple of years, when we do it is usually a result of family issues. It happens so infrequently that usually everyone is wondering what's going on when someone leaves the department. I would guess that about 15 people a year leave the department with about 12-13 of those being retirements.

Steve
                              I will say with a 96% washout rate, for me as an applicant it would be hard to want to apply for your department. It will cost a small fortune to fly back and forth to Alaska and not including hotel, taxi, food. I am not saying everything comes easy when you go through the selection process but thats being extremely picky. Its even more picky than most departments in IL and I have tested for many of them. I do have a clean background, physically fit, and excellent communication skills. I have passed polygraphs, and psych's but I also have failed some too along with oral interviews. Is it worth the risk to spend some $1500-$1800 to fly to alaska and become one of the 96% causualty rate? Maybe you should consolidate more steps to the process on your recruitment trips to save the applicant the heartache before they spend a small fortune to fly to Alaska so they don't become part of the %96.Thats just my opinion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6993 users online. 179 members and 6814 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X