300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve or part time in N. IL?

Does anyone know if there are reserve or part time positions in N. Illinois, more specifically in the Rockford or Winnebago County area? Becoming a police officer is something I've wanted to do for many years, but I also love my current job and I'm not sure if it's completely worth me leaving. If I stay at my current job I have a very bright future ahead of me there that I haven't decided if I want to give up. I'm going to try doing a ride along sometime in the next few weeks and seeing how that goes. Is anyone on here a reserve or part time officer in northern Illinois? If so, what department? Also, if anyone could point me in the right direction for becoming a reserve officer, that'd be great. Thanks!
    Last edited by egn_il; 03-23-2008, 09:30 PM.

Start checking the websites for some of the local departments and see if they have reserve units.

Comment

In order to work as a reserve or axillary officer at a municipality you'll have to go to the part time police academy, unless you work as a reserve/axillary at a sheriff's department. Good luck with your ride-a-longs!

I apologize I can't help you with your other questions.

Comment

Auxiliary Police in Illinois are exempt from part time academy requirement...at this time. I live downstate and our city has an auxiliary, Im sure there are many more in the Chicago area, just call around.
        "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

Originally posted by gloc_copper View Post
          Auxiliary Police in Illinois are exempt from part time academy requirement...at this time. I live downstate and our city has an auxiliary, Im sure there are many more in the Chicago area, just call around.
          Negative.....auxiliary police/reserve police officers are NOT exempt from the part time academy requirement. They used to be....but IIRC, that changed sometime in June of 2006.

Comment

ILETSB memo re auxiliaries:
            http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/auxiliary.pdf

ILETSB info re part timers:
            http://www.ptb.state.il.us/training/...g_parttime.htm
            183 FBINA

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the responses.

Comment

South Barrington used to have part time po's. Unsure if they still hire part time. Winnebago County--Rockton PD, I believe has part time po positions. I seen them in the past advertise on blueline for part time po. Roscoe PD may have some part time po.

Comment

Great that you found that to clear up any misunderstandings!

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post

Comment

correction

Accordingly, should any municipality, by ordinance, establish an auxiliary police unit,
                    and confer the power of “conservator of the peace” to auxiliary officers, then all such officers
                    shall comply with the provisions of the Police Training Act, Section 7, and complete the 400-
                    Hour Mandatory Basic Law Enforcement Officer Training Course. However, if a
                    municipality, by ordinance, creates an auxiliary police unit, and therein specifies that such
                    auxiliary officers do not possess “conservator of the peace” powers, then the Board has
                    determined that such officers need only comply with the 40-Hour Mandatory Firearms
                    Training Act before being permitted to carry a firearm (as specified in 50 ILCS 5/3.1-30-20).

Note of Clarification:
                    The Board does not require documentation on auxiliary police officers who are not
                    conservators of the peace and who are not authorized to carry a firearm.

thanks for the links
                    Last edited by TuxEMS; 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM. Reason: Info from pdf

Comment

Originally posted by gloc_copper View Post
                      From what I've read a municipality police department can have auxiliary officers but they can't carry a weapon nor have any peace officer powers unless they put them through 40 hour and the same training as a part time officer. But if you're going to put them through the same training you might as well make them a part time officer so the state pays for the tuition. If they don't put them through the part time academy then they don't have peace officer powers, and without that they can't carry a weapon (How can you be a conservator of the peace without a weapon?).

Like I said in my earlier post, this does not have any effect for working for a sheriffs department as a reserve/auxiliary unit.

Just because your city has an auxiliary officer thats working doesn't make it legal. I see departments breaking the rules all of the time, mostly because they don't know whats right/wrong.

Comment

heard des plaines has a good aux. unit

Comment

FYI: South Barrington you have to be sworn to get hired as part-time they will not send you to school.

Sleepy Hollow has all part-timers.
                          Last edited by JuneTester06; 03-28-2008, 12:41 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7141 users online. 395 members and 6746 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X