300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburb PD Openings

Ok, so I've been to a number of Suburb PD Orientations and they say "we have two vacancies" and there are like a hundred people plus there.
    That truly is a sign of how bad off our economy is, and how many people don't have jobs....and it's been like this at every orientation I go to.
    I am like, I want this job bad, it's not just for money.
    Some guys in a few of these were like, "oh, I'll try this for a while."
    I'm like, yo, keep steppin' and leave room for the rest of us who actually want to be here.
    Roger Murtaugh: See how easy that was? Boom, still alive. Now we question him. You know why we question him? Because I got him in the leg. I didn't shoot him full of holes or try to jump off a building with him.
    Martin Riggs: Hey, that's no fair. The building guy lived.

Police tests have always been known for their large candidate turn outs. When I started testing (early 90's) the ratio that you just mentioned was good. In chicago it was not uncommon to have 40,000 people show up for a test.

Comment

People drop from stage to stage much more than you might think. Keep with it and do stuff that makes you stand out. Dress better, run faster, get more education, and just stick with it!!
      SPSC 262

Comment

Been there, done that. That's how its always been. It sucks, but its reality

Comment

It is reality and it does suck. That's why we as a profession are going down hill fast and picking up speed.

Back in the old days when I started the people that tested actually wanted to do the job.

Hang in there. If you really want it, you'll get it. Don't get stuck on two or three departments. Go where you get offered a job.

We need people who want to do the job today more then ever.
          -------------------------------------------------

They don't care how much you know, until they
          know how much you care.

Comment

I have the same frustration when I apply to these departments. Its like I'm ready to dedicate all I got for this profession and I really want a life long career out of this but there are too many slackers who want these positions just to "try them out". But like everyone else says, keep applying to multiple departments and hope one of them actually looks at you.

Comment

Don't worry about these idiots. Most of them don't make it very far in the testing process. Just keep throwing shyte and the wall and see what sticks. I've sat through the same tests and listened to the same idiots. Most of them do poorly in the later stages and they go back to their jobs at Walmart. It took me almost 2 years to get a police job so don't lose hope, you'll be just fine.

Comment

Its like that at almost every suburban dept. I applied to about 10 different places and 2 years before I was hired. Like others said, keep trying and dont give up. Eventually someone will give you a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by sentinel17 View Post
                  Ok, so I've been to a number of Suburb PD Orientations and they say "we have two vacancies" and there are like a hundred people plus there.
                  That truly is a sign of how bad off our economy is, and how many people don't have jobs....and it's been like this at every orientation I go to.
                  I am like, I want this job bad, it's not just for money.
                  Some guys in a few of these were like, "oh, I'll try this for a while."
                  I'm like, yo, keep steppin' and leave room for the rest of us who actually want to be here.
                  Your thinking has been tainted by the biased media..

Police and fire departments have ALWAYS had large turn-outs for spots. Especially in recent time where people know these are good jobs with good benefits and security.

Our unemployment is really low and there are tons of jobs out there. The problem is that:

a) some people just do not want to work, they are lazy.

or

b) they do not want to settle for "low level" jobs. Heck, if I needed work that bad, I'll shovel crap.

Comment

Don't let the large numbers and small # of openings frustrate you.

If anything should frustrate you, it's the depts. that you'll test and go through all the steps for only because that dept. needs to maintain an eligibility list with no intention of hiring soon!

Plus, many people won't make it or will take themselves out of the testing process as it moves on.

My only problem with testing at any and every department out there is I'd hate to go through all of that testing, etc., only to get picked up by a department I won't be happy with. I understand the "foot in the door" mentality, but I guess it's just that if I am going to spend all of that time testing, training, etc., I'm going to want to stay there.

Then again, I'm not a full-time PO anywhere so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Comment

Go to Aurora. They go through their list like a knife through butter...

Comment

Speaking about Aurora....

When was the last time they tested? I couldn't find anything in the ole blueline archives...

Comment

They don't use the blueline. They post in newspapers and on their website in the human resources section. We will be testing in June from what I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by pnwcopper View Post
                            They don't use the blueline. They post in newspapers and on their website in the human resources section. We will be testing in June from what I have heard.
                            I just took the poly back on Feb. 20 for Aurora. What is the next step in the process, and how long, if known, does it take?

Comment

The next step is psych written, then oral, Then Bi, Offer of employment then Medical. pass and your in.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13246 users online. 520 members and 12726 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X