300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Side Irish Parade

I understand the need for the police to maintain order but man oh man CPD was sure being ball busters at the parade today. Personally I think they took things a little too far. Several times over I saw them forcing people to dump out their coffee mugs and their bottles of "pop." Now obviously if you see a yellow substance in a Pepsi bottle that's one thing but brown substance in a Pepsi bottle, come on. Yeah it could be Pepsi mixed with Jack or Bourbon or whatever but they overstepped some boundaries. All of us LE's know our legal limitations and what "reasonable suspicion" is. Now like I said, if you see obvious alcohol violations, act on them. You see someone that looks underage you card them. But to stop and in my opinion harass anybody dressed for the occasion that's in their 20's and make them pour out the contents of the bottles is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Originally posted by cubsfan07 View Post
    I understand the need for the police to maintain order but man oh man CPD was sure being ball busters at the parade today. Personally I think they took things a little too far. Several times over I saw them forcing people to dump out their coffee mugs and their bottles of "pop." Now obviously if you see a yellow substance in a Pepsi bottle that's one thing but brown substance in a Pepsi bottle, come on. Yeah it could be Pepsi mixed with Jack or Bourbon or whatever but they overstepped some boundaries. All of us LE's know our legal limitations and what "reasonable suspicion" is. Now like I said, if you see obvious alcohol violations, act on them. You see someone that looks underage you card them. But to stop and in my opinion harass anybody dressed for the occasion that's in their 20's and make them pour out the contents of the bottles is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    I'm not a LEO but have lived in the Beverly area for about 5 years (the first three on Western Ave), so in my biased opinion: if you're acting like an ***** and holding a bottle/cup a cop shouldn't have to waste their time by taking a sample. God I hate the parade (goers).

RyBaK

Comment

I agee. I didn't go this year. Maybe that was a good thing. I heard that CPD was cracking down yesterday. WBBM had a report about this morning and interviewing the parade gallery. It was all negative comments about the influence of police protection on the crowd.
      "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

You don't need reasonable suspicion to approach people and talk to them as long as they are not detained.

You also do not need reasonable suspicion to ask people to dump out the contents of their cups and bottles.

One might be offended by the request but reasonable suspicion is not needed.

I wasn't there so I don't know what the response would have been to the response of "no thank you I would rather not dump my bottle of pepsi."

Just a view from the other side of the issue to be a devil's advocate.

Comment

I was there yesterday. CPD did a great job of maintaining order. You had 260000 people out there and 90% had some level of intoxication. All it would have took to get the crowd turned to a riot would have been a few people that could incite the crowd. As far as dumping the alcohol out. Fine by me. Would you rather pay the $200 fine?
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

We're Damned if we do, we're damned if we don't. If we turn a blind eye, people we say we aren't doing our jobs, if we make then dump a drink, we're *******s....if you add liquor to a bottle of pepsi, the color changes...seeing ten 20something people walking down the streets with cups of actual "cream and sugar" coffee in their hands is an extreme longshot on parade day.

Comment

CPD did a fine job yesterday - some people are never happy with what any LEO does. That speaks volumes about that individual.

Comment

Just so you know guys, I am an LEO. And to address previous points, they did not "ask" people to dump their drinks out, they made people dump their drinks out. Like I said, if it's obviously alcohol that's one thing. But to just make people throw their cups/bottles away was ridiculous.

Comment

The best thing they ever did on the parade route was putting the numerous porta-potties by all the alleys on either side of Western. I've lived right off the parade route for 14 years. I've worked it 3 times. That being said, I think it's much more well behaved that some other fests/parades in the city. There's usually about 10 arrests made, maybe a couple of fist fights. The neighborhood is pretty much back to normal a few hours after it's over.

The Bud Billiken Parade on the other hand (I've worked 4 of them) end up with numerous 10-1's, gang bangers waving guns, maybe a shooting or 2 in Washington Pk.. People walking around by the thousands drinking out of their "40" bottles, openly smoking blunts. Not to mention the next day after, having 5-10 children (including an infant or 2) that are still with Youth because mama left them somewhere in the park and didn't come to claim them. Plus the bonus of having Washington Park looking like "The Day After" for about a week after this event.

Comment

Guys,

Are details like the parades and stuff not desireable?

Is seniority used to decide who has to work them?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                      The best thing they ever did on the parade route was putting the numerous porta-potties by all the alleys on either side of Western. I've lived right off the parade route for 14 years. I've worked it 3 times. That being said, I think it's much more well behaved that some other fests/parades in the city. There's usually about 10 arrests made, maybe a couple of fist fights. The neighborhood is pretty much back to normal a few hours after it's over.

The Bud Billiken Parade on the other hand (I've worked 4 of them) end up with numerous 10-1's, gang bangers waving guns, maybe a shooting or 2 in Washington Pk.. People walking around by the thousands drinking out of their "40" bottles, openly smoking blunts. Not to mention the next day after, having 5-10 children (including an infant or 2) that are still with Youth because mama left them somewhere in the park and didn't come to claim them. Plus the bonus of having Washington Park looking like "The Day After" for about a week after this event.

Now there is a memory!!
                      You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                        The Bud Billiken Parade on the other hand [...]
                        Oh man...that sure does bring back vivid images (couple years ago). Remember driving through afterwards...was like a wasteland with all that garbage!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                          Guys,

Are details like the parades and stuff not desireable?
                          Is seniority used to decide who has to work them?
                          Usually Tac and Gang Teams assigned, but they may now also put TRU and some PPO's from the Academy on the curb line. If after they have all those at the event and need more bodies, they may use reverse seniority to detail people there.

I didn't mind the Southside Parade. Bud Billiken, Puerto Rican Fest, Mex Ind. Day (26th St.)(one of our guys was on an "Emergency Personal" in a porta-pooper when some King opened up with a .9mm next to it. Let's say the P/O skipped the TP.LOL) gave you a workout. Made pinches at every one of those, incl. gun and PSMV arrests. Rush St. detail was a day out of the ghetto, looking at all the "talent" out there, and " 'Burb Kids Gone Wild." Sometimes we'd make more Dis.Cond. arrests on a Sat. night there than the whole SS Parade.

CityBlue, remember when we got traffic details on the weekends around the Holidays at O'Hare? My standard answer for any directions was "Straight ahead, then turn left."
                          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 03-11-2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Bud Billiken

The Bud Billiken parade or festival, or whatever the [email protected]#% the City calls it, is by far the worst parade in the city. You end up working a 12 to 14 hour day and those are 12 to 14 hours you will NEVER get back in life. The overtime is not even worth it. The whole "parade" is a disgusting display of everything that's wrong with the city of Chicago: Gangbangers, drug dealers, people walking around smoking weed, fighting, fighting, fighting, fighting, and more fighting.

Not to mention shooting and numerous 10-1's. On another note, how do you go to a parade and lose your children ? The whole concept is uncomprehendable to normal people. Nonetheless, if you ever work this parade, you'll notice that the radio is constantly tied up with missing children reports. I don't know about you, but whenever I go to the Southside Irish parade or any other event, I NEVER lose my [email protected]#$

When you're finally released from this parade detail, you leave with a confirmed sense that this whole pathetic city has been completely overrun by gangbangers and drug dealers. Yet, the news media will NEVER be truthful about what really happens at this annual family debacle. The news media will tell you that it was another successful fun- filled family day at the bud billiken parade, with images of certain politicians waving to the crowd. The news media will never tell you about when the gangster disciples started shooting at the gas station at GARFIELD/KING DRIVE, or the endless fighting, or the lost children, etc.

Whatever. Like I said, it's not even worth the overtime. As long as none of us get hurt out there- that's all that matters.

Be Safe Out There,

cpd007

Comment

You mean its not about getting the kids back to school? Free school supplies?
                              Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5482 users online. 243 members and 5239 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X