300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 CPD Academy

Has ANYONE heard anything about when the 1st CPD Academy is going to be? Anyone hear anything from their BIs, friends in CPD.....???

We are all in limbo now, this really blows :-( I think this is the worst waiting process of the entire part. All cleared and ready to go, then....No classes scheduled to start....WHAT A BUMMER :-(

Are you talking about the academy class that was sent home?

Comment

I'm part of the 2008 class that has been delayed. The waiting is killing me. I know we are "hired" but I just wish that we at least had a start date. Just called the other day and was told that the latest rumor is looking like early May. The academy is being restructured so much......and the new boss wants all existing classes graduated before we enter. Could be a rumor - who really knows.

Honestly - all the talk about work shifts and pension/401k really matters to me not much at all. At this point I just want to start training. We've jumped through every hoop they have put in front of us, and I feel like we have earned our places - just let us start already!!

Comment

Wait, did you guys already quit your other jobs to report to CPD and then to be told that they don't know when you're supposed to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond: Wait, did you guys already quit your other jobs to report to CPD and then to be told that they don't know when you're supposed to start?
          Link to SecondCityCop Comments on this.

Comment

Showed up at headquarters to fill out final paperwork and were given the bad news. Told we were "hired" but not quite yet. Fill out this paperwork, but DO NOT put dates on anything. Also told that we needed to get a Chicago address and 773/312 phone numbers because, "we may still call you and tell you that the academy is still on for the 19th, but maybe not......just be ready for when we contact you."

Poses quite a problem for people coming from out of state.....If the rumors are true and a class was actually in the academy and sent home - I can only imagine what they must be feeling.

Don't mean to whine here, but come on already. Chicago loses so many officers who are well qualified to other departments because the process takes soooooo looooong. The CPD has enought problems with manpower and morale, AND stupid officers who go out, get drunk, and then make bad decisions. You'd think they would welcome people who are motivated, and ready to start their new careers. ........and please, no old timer BS comments...."when WE started..." This is a new day, new time, new boss......things are changing.....get on board or get out of the way seems to be the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik1973 View Post
              ...You'd think they would welcome people who are motivated, and ready to start their new careers. ........and please, no old timer BS comments...."when WE started..." This is a new day, new time, new boss......things are changing.....get on board or get out of the way seems to be the theme.

What BS comments would those be? What things are changing? Get on board with what or get out of the way of what?

Those quality candidates still seem to want to join CPD when called because they seem to think that they are somehow going to miss out on something if they don't. I really don't think we lose too many quality candidates to other agencies. I think if they want to join the CPD they will when they are called or perhaps, they were just going to go to whoever hired 'em first or their REAL first choice.

Two years is not that long. Have you tried the feds? Some wait longer than that.

If you are talking about a suburban agency, far more come to the city from the burbs than the other way around. For whatever reason, they leave that suburb to come work for the city. Some end up regretting it and some don't.

Comment

........and please, no old timer BS comments...."when WE started..." This is a new day, new time, new boss......things are changing.....get on board or get out of the way seems to be the theme.[/QUOTE]

Pretty bold statement from a guy who hasn't even spent one day at the academy. These "old timers" are going to be your boss very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
                  ........and please, no old timer BS comments...."when WE started..." This is a new day, new time, new boss......things are changing.....get on board or get out of the way seems to be the theme.

Pretty bold statement from a guy who hasn't even spent one day at the academy. These "old timers" are going to be your boss very soon.[/QUOTE]

Hey Grunt,

Belated Congratulations!

Spooky

Comment

Understand what you are saying....but I have been on in another state for a while now, and understand the "FNG" mentality that comes from old timers. Not saying I am better at all. Just saying that just because someone is new here doesn't mean that they "know everything" at all. Quite the opposite. Learning from old timers is great if they are willing to give the FNG a chance, and act as a mentor. It helps everyone.

As far as loosing quality candidates - I know MANY people who have taken positions at other departments simply because the process takes so long. Frustration sets in, and they would rather be employed and actually working rather than not knowing. It is not a matter of "who you get hired by first." I understand that if you want it bad enough - then wait. People take positions at other departments, have to sign payback contracts worth thousands, and then are stuck.

Believe me - CPD has always been my #1 choice. We are all here for good reasons, and I never wanted to create bad blood. We are all on the same team. One day the FNG will need the old timer, and vice-versa.

Comment

"New day, new time, new boss." Same job, though. Don't want to hear the "Oldtimer BS" then who's going to teach you this job, or do you already know everything about it? You'd be well advised to listen to a bit of the "Oldtimer BS,"or you may not make it through the academy, make it through FTO, get yourself jammed up on or off-duty, or worse, get yourself or someone else hurt or killed on the street. Unless you grew up on the streets, nothing you experienced or saw growing up in Orland Pk, Elk Grove Village, or Minnesota is going to prepare you for the culture shock you'll get on these streets (unless you go to 001, 016, 018, or 019).

There are about 600-700 that retire, quit, or are fired per year on CPD. They are not hiring many more than that. All the burbs combined don't hire half that per year. They aren't hiring thousands. You get in when you get called. If you are that good at predicting who is going to do something that will get them jammed up after they are on, hire yourself out to the city, and bring the crystal ball.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                        "New day, new time, new boss." Same job, though. Don't want to hear the "Oldtimer BS" then who's going to teach you this job, or do you already know everything about it? You'd be well advised to listen to a bit of the "Oldtimer BS,"or you may not make it through the academy, make it through FTO, get yourself jammed up on or off-duty, or worse, get yourself or someone else hurt or killed on the street. Unless you grew up on the streets, nothing you experienced or saw growing up in Orland Pk, Elk Grove Village, or Minnesota is going to prepare you for the culture shock you'll get on these streets (unless you go to 001, 016, 018, or 019).

There are about 600-700 that retire, quit, or are fired per year on CPD. They are not hiring many more than that. All the burbs combined don't hire half that per year. They aren't hiring thousands. You get in when you get called. If you are that good at predicting who is going to do something that will get them jammed up after they are on, hire yourself out to the city, and bring the crystal ball.

LMAO well said

Comment

Erik,

I have to agree with these "old-timers." I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Money is tied up in many places, and they are working on restoring the CPD Academy. What else do you want them to do? Can they really afford (no pun intended) to hire new officers, when there are some things that can be corrected to make the CPD better?

Also, there is a reason why the "old-timers" are where they are at now, and why you are not wearing the blue. I don't want this to be a personal attack, but come on. If you don't like the process with CPD, then drop out. I'm sure if they had the TIME, MANPOWER, and BUDGET to do so they would. If you want a quick process and to be hired on ASAP, go to Dallas PD.

Comment

We've jumped through every hoop they have put in front of us, and I feel like we have earned our places - just let us start already!!

What exactly have you earned?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik1973 View Post
                              I'm part of the 2008 class that has been delayed. The waiting is killing me. I know we are "hired" but I just wish that we at least had a start date. Just called the other day and was told that the latest rumor is looking like early May. The academy is being restructured so much......and the new boss wants all existing classes graduated before we enter. Could be a rumor - who really knows.
                              What a way for the city to start off on the right foot with the first class going through the academy. I feel sorry for the people who had to quit their jobs, and did not budget themselves.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8588 users online. 273 members and 8315 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X