300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on 9mm duty weapons?

I am going to be starting for a town in march that requires the use of 9mm for duty weapons. I am just looking for some insight from you guys out there as to what are your likes and dislikes on certain firearms. I have have shot mostly .45's and would love to use a few certain models but can't. I plan on going to megasports in plainfield and testing a bunch soon, but I want to go in there with some knowledge of what i should try out first. I hear a lot about H&K ($$$), have shot some sigs, springfields, smiths, walthers, and a lot about glocks. What is it about glocks that some people love and others hate? I believe the only other requirement is that if the gun has an exposed hammer then it needs to have a decock button. Any insight would be greatly appreciated because I hope to purchase before the academy. Thank you.

-jcap

Glocks are relatively cheap, easy to learn and reliable.

If the requirement about the exposed hammer is true, you're basically eliminating the Sig DAK and HK LEM models. They have exposed hammers but are double action only.

I say ignore the brand. Look at what your budget is, shoot everything within your budget and pick the gun that feels best for you.

Comment

I would look into the Sig DAK or HK LEM. It is pretty unusual requirment to require a decocker if the hammer is exposed. They are DAO guns so they should not ever be "cocked" like a DA/SA gun.

I have Sig P228 that I love. If you can look into a Sig P229R or a Sig 226R.
      Last edited by Tecumseh; 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Decockers are typically available on DA/SA. DAO and DAK triggers usually don't have a decocker or safety (due to the long trigger pull). SAO usually have a safety in lieu of a decocker. Glocks are "safe action" - some consider like a double action, but I don't agree. The simple trigger mechanism is what they consider "safe". The action is short like a single action.

Sigs make fine weapons regardless of action. The DAK trigger system is nice, because even though you have a long trigger pull, it's set at 7 lbs consistently. Their DA/SA trigger is 10/4.5 lbs respectively. The SAO trigger pull is 5 lbs, with the addition of the safety (always nice when you have a short, light trigger).

H&Ks (pricey, and rarely authorized), Springfield XDs or 1911s, Glocks, Berettas, S&W (all, but especially the M&P) are fine weapons.
        I prefer the dependability and accuracy of the Sig line. If you know where to shop, they really aren't much more than a Glock with Night Sights. You decide.

Comment

dude, definately go with the Springfield armory 9mm xd. You can get one with night sites and 3 mags for around 550 bucks or less. very nice weapon. i like it better than the glock.

Comment

Originally posted by jcapodicapi View Post
            I am going to be starting for a town in march that requires the use of 9mm for duty weapons. I am just looking for some insight from you guys out there as to what are your likes and dislikes on certain firearms. I have have shot mostly .45's and would love to use a few certain models but can't. I plan on going to megasports in plainfield and testing a bunch soon, but I want to go in there with some knowledge of what i should try out first. I hear a lot about H&K ($$$), have shot some sigs, springfields, smiths, walthers, and a lot about glocks. What is it about glocks that some people love and others hate? I believe the only other requirement is that if the gun has an exposed hammer then it needs to have a decock button. Any insight would be greatly appreciated because I hope to purchase before the academy. Thank you.

-jcap
            I have to say, there is nothing like the feel of the cold hard steel of a Beretta. DAO or DA/SA, inexpensive, easily maintained, and you can find hi-cap mags everywhere.

If you go to Megasports to test drive thats fine... but stay away from purchases there. Over-priced and the sales guys are all ******. If you find something you like at Megasports, take a ride right down the street to Gander Mountain. Friendlier service, lower prices, and OOOOHHHHH the camouflage.
            There he goes.... A high-powered mutant of some kind never considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Comment

I agree a Sig or Beretta, that's some weird restrictions sorry.

Comment

I ended up going with a SA XD 4" 9mm service model with trijicon night sights, and got 6 magazines a safariland level 2 holster, and double magazine pouch for $675. O'herrons has a Chicago package thats real nice. Thanks for all the input. Stay safe out there.
                -jcap

Comment

Originally posted by insane-j-g View Post
                  If you go to Megasports to test drive thats fine... but stay away from purchases there. Over-priced and the sales guys are all ******. If you find something you like at Megasports, take a ride right down the street to Gander Mountain. Friendlier service, lower prices, and OOOOHHHHH the camouflage.
                  I just shot over at Midwest Guns in Lyons. Had a good time. Anyone with some more experience have any opinions? I'm planning to go over to Megasports and try their facility out some time soon.

Comment

Try JR Shooting sports in Aurora. The range fee is a little steep, but it's a FANTASTIC range. Carpeted, well ventilated, computer-controlled target distance. I don't know about their gun prices; they seem to be typical retail.
                    "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

I've been to JR and to Megasports. There is a guy at JR that usually works the range and he has always given me attitude and been on the rude side. The range is nice, but they make you buy target holders ($5). Gun rental is $20 and ammo price is decent. The best thing about them is their targets are computer controlled and you can do more with them.
                      Megasports has a bad rep for lousy customer service and outrageous ammo prices. I have always recieved great customer service but the ammo is expensive. Plus some of the guys know I'm LE so they treat me a little nicer than others I think. The only reason I would buy ammo there is if I rent a gun becaue they require it. There gun rental is only $9.95 and they have a vast selection of rentals. It puts JR's rentals to shame. The range fees are within a couple of bucks of each other. The range itsself is a little more rudamentery than JR's. However you don't have to spend that $5 on the target holder so take it how you want. It too is still well ventilated and the temperature always seems to be spot on.
                      I tried going to Midwest in Lyons the other day cause its at the halfway point between my brothers house and mine and the range fee is $12 or $15. But when I went there the guy behind the counter, although nice, gave me some speel that they aren't allowed to let people shoot lead based ammo. I had with me around 700 rounds in 9mm and .45 that i couldn't shoot and wasn't about to buy any more ammo.
                      My other buddy goes to a place in Lockport called Rinks. He says the range fee is $9 and a moderate range with decent ammo and rental prices. I have never been there though.
                      For what it helps...
                      -jcap

Comment

Rinks is a pretty dumpy place, which makes it perfect for shooting guns.

Mega Sports is just expensive for everything. Sure, the rental prices are good but when they gouge you for ammo prices, it more than makes up the difference.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7594 users online. 399 members and 7195 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X