300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a degree? Working on one?

How many of you current and future officers have a degree in criminal justice a degree in anything else? Do you feel it helps in the hiring process?

I am about a semester and a half from graduating with a criminal justice degree. Should be done December next year.

I'm glad to see that more and more agencies are requiring some college courses.
    Last edited by 3V2000GT; 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM.

I have a B.A. in Education from Southeastern University and was working on Grad School at The George Washington University when I got fired from my last police job and lost my tuition benefits.

My new police job only covers tuition at University of the District of Columbia, so I don't know if I will bother with that or not. Tuition at GW is a little high for me to handle on my own though.

I would say having a college degree helps you immensely in getting a job and obtaining a higher salary. Perhaps most important that degree is crucial in most departments if you wish to get a promotion into management gigs. My former employer required bachelor degrees for all rookie police officers.

Comment

A.A. Computer Programming
      B.S. Computer Science
      MBA IT Administration
      Bunch of paper certs (A+, CNA/CNE, MCSE, etc..)

Did nearly a decade in the private sector as a CIO (Chief Information Officer) of a financial services/insurance company. So glad to be out of that and in law enforcement.

Comment

A.A. degree in Law Enforcement from Joliet Junior College
        B.A. degree in criminal Justice from Governor State University

Hopefully soon I can start my masters once I get my hours changed at work.

Comment

B.S. in Business Administration.

Comment

B.S. in Criminal Justice from Eastern Illinois Univ.

Comment

I have a BA in Sociology/Anthropology. It is not required by my dept but it helped in the testing process. There are plenty of excellent cops out there who have never set foot in college. Soc/Anthro was interesting to me (and still is) but college is not the key to succeeding as a cop.

Comment

Criminal Justice or basket weaving, It matters not! A degree is a degree for entry level.

I don't think a degree is necessary to be an effective police officer, but hey that's just me.

Comment

B.A. From the school of hard knox

I want to be a cop though!
                  Last edited by A1CSpooky; 01-23-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

B.S. in Justice Studies from NEIU. After my experience during hiring process I realized that it doesn’t mater what you know but who you know. Degree does not make a difference if one wants to join the force.
                    Last edited by mr.tiger; 01-24-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

A.A. in Criminal Justice
                      B.S. in Criminal Justice

I also plan on starting my master's degree by either Fall 2008 or Spring 2009 (with the dept. paying for it of course). I think having the Bachelor's Degree has helped me immensely because not only did I learn a lot but it has gotten me higher up on lists and given me the ability to apply at departments that require a degree. Getting my master's will help me in promotions down the road and I'll be able to teach at a community college on the side for extra cash. There's nothing wrong with going to school, it'll only help you.

Comment

B.S. Biology - University of Wisconsin

Master of Arts Teaching - Bucknell University

Comment

B.S in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration from Western Illinois University

Comment

A.S. Black Hawk College Law Enforcement
                            BA Western Illinois University Law Enforcement/Board of Trustees/History I get that in May.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott32 View Post
                              A.A. degree in Law Enforcement from Joliet Junior College
                              B.A. degree in criminal Justice from Governor State University

Hopefully soon I can start my masters once I get my hours changed at work.
                              When did you graduate from JJC?
                              "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6392 users online. 346 members and 6046 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X