Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Eligible after 35yrs old if sworn 10 yrs ago?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Eligible after 35yrs old if sworn 10 yrs ago?

Last edited by bankfraudguy; 08-14-2008, 10:03 AM. Reason: .

As far as I am aware, you would have had to be a Certified LEO through a state., that you were not. I highly doubt holding a job 11 years ago for 4 months and never having gone to the Academy and were never Certified is going to get you very far to work it into the "exemption". I could be wrong though....
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Certain departments have a "Home Rule", Burbank is one.

I have a friend who was just hired and he is 36, as long as you can pass the POWER test and everything else age is not an issue.

Comment

You should call the IL Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) at 217-782-4540. Since they're the ones certifying IL LEOs and setting the standards then they're the ones who can answer your question.
        183 FBINA

Comment

Back then the trainig board was under a different name and the loophole you are talking about still exists. Full-time law enforcement officers must complete the Law Enforcement Basic Training Course within the first 6 months of hire. Illinois Police Training Act - 50 ILCS 705

That being said the rule was in place for the benefit of smaller agencies who could not spare or afford the luxury of making a hire and then waiting for an opening at PTI. Obviously Illinois now has many more academies and spaces which in many cases will make the point moot. Larger agencies would never expose themselves to the liability. Your "provisional" sworn status was contingent on your being in an academy by the close of the six month window. So as to avoid completely dashing your hopes, follow the Captain's advice and contact the training board. We are entering the season of miracles. Good Luck.
          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

[...................
            Last edited by bankfraudguy; 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM. Reason: =======

Comment

Last edited by bankfraudguy; 03-16-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The thing that is going to suck for you is, let's say "hypothetically" you qualify by law for the exemption but it is vague. The PD you are going to test for says "nope, you are too old". No one can "force" the PD to let you test. You would then have to contact the EEOC or a lawyer in terms of pushing for the issue to let you test. So then we know how well that would go over with the department...lol. It's just too bad it took you over a decade for you to figure out this is what you wanted to do and now have to scramble.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Another angle you might try is to find out if they are home rule units and which pension fund they contribute to, if they dont have their own. I believe the age thing also has something to do with pension calculability
                  You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

If it is what you want....Do not procrastinate ..... 35 is the cutoff in most agencies that do have age ceilings.
                    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Similar situation

Bankfraudguy - I am in a similar situation (on and off for 10 years, looking to get back in), although I DID go through the police academy and my cert is still good. I was told if you received 400 hour basic training and graduated, you are certified by the minimum state required standards. If you leave the field of work for 3 years or more, and you are then re-employed, you have to obtain a "waiver" to "refresh" that certification within 6 months of hire. That is what I did when I left and came back after 3 years off. However, with that said, even though I am currently certified, and no longer an officer, my age does limit what departments I am qualified to apply for. If I was still employed, it wouldn't matter. The exact statute is here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=094-0029

Since you're not currently employed and not certified, you are probably not eligible to waive the age limitation. If you were employed right now as an LEO regardless if you went to a police academy or not, you might be able to meet their requirements by "grandfathering" through years of experience, but I suppose it would be up to that individual department. I'm sorry, but I think you might have to start from scratch.
                      What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

The original "point and click" interface was a Smith and Wesson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9618 users online. 449 members and 9169 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X