X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPD Medical

Had the medical. Everything went well.

Here is what to expect:

I got there 1/2 hour early and went a bit after my appointment. Had to fill out 5? pages of paper work. Nothing too heavy (medical history stuff, sign some consent forms...)

Hearing test- in a booth with head phones

Vision Test- Checked far and near vision and color. Wore glasses for tests.

Vitals- Blood pressure (both arms), temperature, EKG (you'll lose some hair), glucoma check (drops in eyes, touched my eye to check the %, kind of a pain, but nothing to fret over)

Physical (male)- Answered a few questions, kept the pants on, "strength test" (doctor held my arm and leg while I pushed against him), eye and ear check.

Urine and Blood donation - Peed in a cup, gave 3 vials of blood

Pulmonary Exam- Had to breath into a tube a few times. I had a bit of trouble because I kept sticking my tongue in the tube or not sealing the tube with my lips. Stick the tube baaaack into your mouth, on top of your tongue and don't stop blowing till the nurse says so (that doesn't sound right, but it's accurate).

X-rays: Took 2 or 3 chest X-rays

I'd say to expect 1 1/2 - 2 hours total time there.

Oh yeah, they give you a voucher for the parking lot. Very convenient and the staff was A+; they were extremely professional and made sure everything got done right so as not to jeopordize what we've been waiting patiently for.

RyBaK477
    Last edited by RyBaK477; 11-14-2007, 08:38 PM. Reason: bahd speling wurdz

Cool thanks for the update. Glad to see yours went ok.

Comment

Have any of the girls gone for their medicals yet? How did it go? What did you have to do? I have mine the 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by JuneTester06 View Post
        Have any of the girls gone for their medicals yet? How did it go? What did you have to do? I have mine the 5th.
        I have mine on 11/28 I can let you know!

Comment

Thanks. Look forward to hearing.

Comment

Took my medical on 10/25.

I got a call saying I have to go on my own to get another urine test becasue I had a minor urine infection/dehydrated. WELL DUH....I was not allowed to drink anything for 8 hours prior and my medical was at 1 pm, of course I was slightly dehydrated.

Anyhoo.. I am getting my urine tested at my doctor this Sat. and I have to have the labs sent to the medical place and a letter stating I am fit for duty.

So if this info is useful to anyone...take it.

Everything else was good to go! Still waiting to hear about the psych results. Had the oral on 10/22.

Comment

Originally posted by 0206CPDAPPL View Post
              Took my medical on 10/25.

I got a call saying I have to go on my own to get another urine test becasue I had a minor urine infection/dehydrated. WELL DUH....I was not allowed to drink anything for 8 hours prior and my medical was at 1 pm, of course I was slightly dehydrated.

Anyhoo.. I am getting my urine tested at my doctor this Sat. and I have to have the labs sent to the medical place and a letter stating I am fit for duty.

So if this info is useful to anyone...take it.

Everything else was good to go! Still waiting to hear about the psych results. Had the oral on 10/22.
              So they schedule you for the medical exam before even knowing if you passed the psych??? I always thought that after passing the psych, then they would the medical...

Comment

Just mentioned this in another blog...you can actually have your BI working on your stuff THEN get the failed psych letter. Sounds like a waste of time, but it happens. I know from personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Art25 View Post
                  So they schedule you for the medical exam before even knowing if you passed the psych??? I always thought that after passing the psych, then they would the medical...
                  You do take the written psych before you take your medical and oral psych.
                  Remember there are two psych exams....Written and Oral.

Comment

It seems that CPD/Powers that be schedule your medical exams before you take the written psych. Once you finish the written you are signed up for the oral psych. First done with the written first served.

RyBaK477

Comment

Nov. 05, Turned in Application

Feb. 06, Took Written exam on computer

Dec. 06, Took Initial POWER Test

Dec. 06, Took College transcripts in, drug test (got sent home to get a letter from school with dates my credits were applied because they weren't on transcripts. Must be applied before Jan. 06.

Sept. 07 Took Drug test and misc. paperwork

Oct. 07 Written Psych

Oct. 07. Oral Psych

Oct. 07 Medical Exam

1st week of Oct. My BI called me, said he would be starting my invt. in 3-4 months.

So Approx. in Jan, my BI will call me, hopefully all cleared by end of Jan and in academy between Jan and March.

This process works differently for EVERYBODY, but everyone has to do the same thing, no matter what. Everyone gets a hang up somewhere i the process and it sets you back, that is why it takes so long to get into academy. Something needs to be corrected at some point and it takes a long wait to get back into the testing swing of things.

BE PATIENT.......THAT IS ALL WE CAN DO, HURRY UP AND WAIT! Good luck to all! Most of your questions could be answered if you just read the threads in the Illinois section. READ READ READ....You need to have common sense and find answers on your own and be independent to be a cop. If you can't find a simple answer in these threads and can't seem to understand such a small task, then you probally will not be a police officer. People keep asking questions over and over again yet there are threads dedicated strictly to what people ask and many of these questions are really obvious. DO YOUR OWN INVESTIGATION, READ THE THREADS AND FIGURE IT OUT BEFORE YOU POST STUPID QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN ANSWERED OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

Good luck to all!

Comment

Originally posted by 0206CPDAPPL View Post
                        Nov. 05, Turned in Application

Feb. 06, Took Written exam on computer

Dec. 06, Took Initial POWER Test

Dec. 06, Took College transcripts in, drug test (got sent home to get a letter from school with dates my credits were applied because they weren't on transcripts. Must be applied before Jan. 06.

Sept. 07 Took Drug test and misc. paperwork

Oct. 07 Written Psych

Oct. 07. Oral Psych

Oct. 07 Medical Exam

1st week of Oct. My BI called me, said he would be starting my invt. in 3-4 months.

So Approx. in Jan, my BI will call me, hopefully all cleared by end of Jan and in academy between Jan and March.

This process works differently for EVERYBODY, but everyone has to do the same thing, no matter what. Everyone gets a hang up somewhere i the process and it sets you back, that is why it takes so long to get into academy. Something needs to be corrected at some point and it takes a long wait to get back into the testing swing of things.

BE PATIENT.......THAT IS ALL WE CAN DO, HURRY UP AND WAIT! Good luck to all! Most of your questions could be answered if you just read the threads in the Illinois section. READ READ READ....You need to have common sense and find answers on your own and be independent to be a cop. If you can't find a simple answer in these threads and can't seem to understand such a small task, then you probally will not be a police officer. People keep asking questions over and over again yet there are threads dedicated strictly to what people ask and many of these questions are really obvious. DO YOUR OWN INVESTIGATION, READ THE THREADS AND FIGURE IT OUT BEFORE YOU POST STUPID QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN ANSWERED OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

Good luck to all!
                        Sorry,

Had to call ya on it. I find it funny that you say this and you didn't drink any water for 8 hours before the medical. They said do not EAT, water is not food. I had some people do this when I was attending and the nurse looked at me and goes did you drink water? I said " of course do I look like a jackenapes" she kind of half smiled because i'm sure she had no clue what that meant, but I digress. Water is fluid not food. If it had said "Do not consume food or fluids for the next 8 hours" I could see your frustration.

There are no such things as stupid questions only stupid people. Knowledge is gained by asking and wisdom is gained by listening.

Spooky

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          Last edited by 0311Grunt; 01-05-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Fasting

If your doctor orders a fasting blood test, you should not have anything to eat or drink for 8 to 12 hours before you go to the laboratory to have your blood taken. Some examples of fasting blood tests are fasting glucose, fasting triglycerides, fasting lipids and glucose tolerance.

Comment

Hey Spooky...Take a hike Mr. I am not o these threads to be harassed. I am simply putting out information for the people that have not yet taken their medical. I can really care less about my hang ups, they will all get worked out.

AND DON'T CALL ME STUPID YOU JACK A DOUBLE S HOLE.

"There are no such things as stupid questions only stupid people. Knowledge is gained by asking and wisdom is gained by listening."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4810 users online. 186 members and 4624 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X