300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CPD Packet and Family Members...

Well, my brother is "in-the-process" with CPD and he made me fill out the section in that packet where he has to list his family members (as well as being the 'witness'). Is there a reason why they need more than just my name (address, home & work phone)? Will this information be used during his background check? Will the recruits investigate me (more than looking at my non-existent rap-sheet)???

I'm not paranoid...but the thought of being investigated is scary...

I've always been wary of putting any personal information on some form. My brother insisted that I have to put down my work phone number. Did I? I eventually did because I don't want to jeopardize his chances, but was it absolutely necessary?

Originally posted by Area3Citizen View Post
    Well, my brother is "in-the-process" with CPD and he made me fill out the section in that packet where he has to list his family members (as well as being the 'witness'). Is there a reason why they need more than just my name (address, home & work phone)? Will this information be used during his background check? Will the recruits investigate me (more than looking at my non-existent rap-sheet)???

I've always been wary of putting any personal information on some form. My brother insisted that I have to put down my work phone number. Did I? I eventually did because I don't want to jeopardize his chances, but was it absolutely necessary?
    They just need a way to contact you. They aren't investigating you, they are investigating your brother. You are a character reference of sorts, as far as I know, the CPD didn't even talk to my family members that I listed, just my "references" and since you can't list family as a "reference" you're fine.

Hell this is nothing, I had to have a Top Secrect Clearance for my job in the Air Force. You want to talk about invasive. I had to list 3 people for every address I had ever lived at, and they had to know me when I lived at that address, and I couldn't use the same people twice. I've lived at 6 different places!!! Then because it was Top Secret they actually went in person to talk to my references! Sometimes for like half an hour!

Trust me could be a whole lot worse, just sit back and relax, you'll probably never hear from them

Spooky

Comment

They will not contact u, they will only contact his personal references. They won't call your work or anything...BUT they will check your criminal record...if a family member has been convicted of a felony and has done time, you can not reside under the same roof, I believe, mainly because if the family member is a convicted felon, they can not have a handgun in their residence. If your rap sheet is clean as u say, then u got nothing to worry about. They are looking for candiates who put their family members current address as "Cook County Jail".

Comment

Not worried about being contacted; that part that concerns me is having someone take a look into my life just because of the actions of another and my association with that individual.
        Last edited by Area3Citizen; 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Not worried about being contacted; that part that concerns me is having someone take a look into my life just because of the actions of another and my association with that individual.

I was once at a job recruiting fair, went over to the CIA's booth, talked for a bit, and during the conversation, admitted I downloaded music. He told me it wasn't a big deal but if anything it could be used against me. Since then I've stopped...I mean reduced...the amount of music I download.
          At ease man, u are stressing way to much, to be honest sounds to me like u did something wrong or u wouldn't even be asking...like I said, they are looking for criminal activity ON RECORD within ur family members, THEY WILL NOT contact u. Take it easy man!

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
            At ease man, u are stressing way to much, to be honest sounds to me like u did something wrong or u wouldn't even be asking...like I said, they are looking for criminal activity ON RECORD within ur family members, THEY WILL NOT contact u. Take it easy man!
            Notice he bumped a year old thread asking if CPD actually does check myspace... Hmmmm....

Comment

Corp, what's your point? The MySpace thing has nothing to do with this thread. Searching instead of creating new threads is usually applauded.

I don't care to be contacted.

If it's one thing I've learned about this site is that "policing" doesn't stop on the streets. Simple questions and comments arouse lots of suspicion, like I'm involved in some sort of subterfuge. Relax!

And 0311Grunt, I appreciate your honesty. I just take privacy pretty seriously, is that a crime?
              Last edited by Area3Citizen; 11-06-2007, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Corp, what's your point? The MySpace thing has nothing to do with this thread. Searching instead of creating new threads is usually applauded.

If it's one thing I've learned about this site is that "policing" doesn't stop on the streets. Simple questions and comments arouse lots of suspicion, like I'm involved in some sort of subterfuge. Relax!

And 0311Grunt, I appreciate your honesty. I just take privacy pretty seriously, is that a crime?
                You are the one getting all defensive and worked up... I take privacy seriously too, but if an employer wanted to check anything they can. I have nothing to hide and admit to all my mistakes.

Not to mention as LEO you are under constant criticism of everyone, so they try to check your background thoroughly.

Comment

Not a crime at all, but if u have nothing to hide then u have nothing to sweat. They are not going to look inot your school records and see if u were a good student, they can care less...but your borther is applying for job that requires him to carry, own, and store, at a home, a loaded gun...he will be dealing with druggies, dealers, gang members, and scum 24-7...he will have access to criminal files and arrest reports....so yeah if he has a family member who is a junkie, felon, convict, or a wanted criminal, then yeah they most defenitly are going to want to know and they have every right too. So if they pull your file and see if you have no record or warrants, then he is in the clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Corp View Post
                    You are the one getting all defensive and worked up... I take privacy seriously too, but if an employer wanted to check anything they can. I have nothing to hide and admit to all my mistakes.
                    The thing is, this is an employer of which you are not the prospective employee. I agree with the reasons why they would want to know a little family history due to the nature of the job of being an officer, but I say that the information they acquire should just be used as that - information; not as criteria for being hired. I also have nothing to hide but I find it a little unfair for some applicants who may have siblings who got caught up on the dark side. Is there at least a chance for applicants to make rebuttals against their findings?

While I'm not the one to worry about, my brother and I do have family members who have done some time - it makes me wonder how in-depth the recruiters will go into finding connections between my brother and those family members - connections that don't exist.
                    Last edited by Area3Citizen; 11-07-2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6637 users online. 225 members and 6412 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X