300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oc spray experience.....

I've tried searching the forums, but I can't find anything specific to my question. Or maybe I'm just not searching correctly. Who knows.

I just got sprayed last night for training purposes. Now that was an experience I used very little water on my face and eyes once I was sprayed because I heard that once you take your face out of the water, it will burn like hell anyway....so I stuck it out and didn't use it. Once I got home I stuck my head under the shower head with near cold water to try to get the excess resin out of my hair and that, of course, made the stuff start burning again, though the burn went away faster. After a few hours my face pretty much stopped burning altogether. I didn't sleep much last night because my eyes would occasionally tear and more of the spray would get into my eyes and they would start to burn again, though not as bad as it was originally. Anyway, my face and eyes start to burn again this morning when I am up and running around trying to get things done.

Here's my question: I was told to use Johnson's baby shampoo to wash my face and hair as that will help. Is there any truth to this? The last thing I want to do is make the burning worse, but I want to get the residual stuff off of me (if that's even possible). I've heard that the stuff eventually evaporates off of you, but how long does that take???

Thanks!!

Johnson's helped me. It was the recommended method at PTI. You are a tough person for only using water. It was quite the expierience at PTI. We were sprayed then ran an obstsacle course, then we all ran straight for the hoses and washed the crap off for like 30 minutes. That stuff burned for most of the evening following getting sprayed. One thing I remembered hearing an instructor say was that OC is made from the same stuff as hot peppers. One way of getting over hot peppers is to drink milk. That evening I took a shower and poured a cup of whole milk on my face and amazingly the burning ceased!
    My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxx
      Last edited by LawDog99; 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

You should have washed it off right after the exposure. You wouldn't have gotten all of it, but at least the excess would have washed off.

They say to use baby shampoo so you can clean it out of your eyes as well.

Comment

Dawn dish soap also works well, when i was in the academy thats what they used, we got sprayed at about 1000 am, and by 1600 the effects were just about gone...
          In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

We were sprayed at 1515. I was driving home at 1600 on the dot...perfectly fine. In fact, I went swimming when I got home with no adverse effects. I used water and dawn. Once I held my eyes open with my fingers, the burning all but stopped in 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
              You should have washed it off right after the exposure. You wouldn't have gotten all of it, but at least the excess would have washed off.

They say to use baby shampoo so you can clean it out of your eyes as well.
              Right on. OC= Oleresin Capsicum.....Do you see the resin part in the name. I am not trying to sound like a smart a** or anything but the water would have washed most of the resin out which would not have caused re-activation for you later that day or the next. Water/time are the best combination.

Comment

Originally posted by robert2006 View Post
                One thing I remembered hearing an instructor say was that OC is made from the same stuff as hot peppers. One way of getting over hot peppers is to drink milk. That evening I took a shower and poured a cup of whole milk on my face and amazingly the burning ceased!
                It's not quite the same as hot peppers, but OC is all "food grade" product. When I got sprayed I just used water because that's all we had at our disposal. But when I watched some friends go through the training, they used milk and it seemed to help. They even dumped the milk right in their eyes said it helped.

Incidentally, even after I flushed with water for like 30 minutes, I still felt mild burning when I showered the next day.
                "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

Narc, you're forgetting the Oleo-part of the word. Oleoresin is a naturally occurring mixture of resin and oil. The oil is what makes water practically useless unless doubled with a degreaser, like Dawn.
                  Last edited by Underoath; 10-09-2007, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Underoath View Post
                    Narc, you're forgetting the Oleo-part of the word. Oleoresin is a naturally occurring mixture of resin and oil. The oil is what makes water practically useless unless doubled with a degreaser, like Dawn.
                    10-4....

Comment

Just water worked for me and I was back on my way to lunch in around 15 minutes.

Comment

Listen to Narc he's been sprayed four times!!..lol..me i got it once and it took me hours to recover...i think milk is your best friend at that time....i just got tased last week..that hurt like hell!

Comment

I had both, and I'd rather be tazed any day. After the OC, I had chemical pink eye for a week and blurry vision in 1 eye for 3 weeks. Advice, keep cleaning the eye and the eyelid. If your eyes don't tear, buy drops. Johnsons works, but the eye should be flushed 8-10 times a day. Especially if you don't produce enough tears. I also have naturally dry eyes, so I used B&L Systane. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sk797 View Post
                            Listen to Narc he's been sprayed four times!!..lol..me i got it once and it took me hours to recover...i think milk is your best friend at that time....i just got tased last week..that hurt like hell!
                            Hahaha!!! Hows S-wood treating you bro?

Comment

I got sprayed for training when I was an Explorer. It felt like a third degree sunburn on my eyelids. I used a little water and after about 20-30 min I was fine.

I also did NOT take a shower that night, but one later the next afternoon, and I did not feel ANYTHING. I think it all just kinda absorbed in or was lef ton my pillow. Either way it was an experience I am glad I did.

Now when I was on the street, I was arresting a guy for PI and well, he wanted to shut his car door, and made a move for it, hehe, not a smart move, grabbed him and spun him around to the ground he did not want to go along with the program and after about a min of wrestling on the ground. I sprayed him. He was about 260 and 5-8 so kinda a rolly polly. I am about 5-11 and 220 so I just layed on top of him and made him tire himself out when he was flexing up so I could not get his arms. He wasn't trying to hurt me or get away, just wiggling around screaming for help, saying it was a police state, well DUH I was the POLICE and you were in a STATE of resiting arrest, just , I was not going to tire myself out, let him do my work for me

He was not trying to fight me or get away, but was resisting non the less.

When I sprayed him, I felt like I was trying to hold on for an 8 second rodeo ride, as I had to lay on him, holding onto him, and try to get my can out, while trying to answer my dispatch. I hit him in the upper face, it got his eyes a little, and then blew into me, into my mouth, so I my tongue was burning, we used FOX. Well after about 4 seconds he starts to cough and I was able to get his arms, and put him in cuffs.

The best part was he refused medical and everything because only his forehead burned and he could deal with it and, being the nice officer I was put him in his cell with a water fountain. Well he tried to wash it off, which made all the stuff in his hair, run into his eyes. He was crying like a big baby for about 40 min in the cell.

I was pretty comical, and so was my 4 min rodeo ride on my Dash Cam video. BTW when it happened, I had NO BACKUP, I was the ONLY officer in the 2k pop city, on graveyard. Ahh good times. County took about 7 min to get there, coming from about 15 miles away.
                              Last edited by PTR-Jason; 11-05-2007, 03:26 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7915 users online. 394 members and 7521 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X