Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morton Grove's Handgun Ordinance

Is this still valid today?
    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

It sure is and I often read people referring to it as the first to ban handguns in IL, if not the nation.

Comment

I thought it might be still in effect.

I am not sure if you are for the 2nd Amendment being taken away or for it, but I do not think that it will be taken away anytime soon.
      Last edited by LockednLoaded; 09-21-2007, 08:04 PM.
      "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

I think it may be Home Rule that allows them to do that.

Comment

Although the US Supreme Court declined the hear the case, Quilici v. Morton Grove set the stage to allow towns to enact their own bans on handguns. Morton Grove is just one town among several in Illinois that has adopted such bans. As unfortunate as it is, towns can still have bans on handguns.

Comment

Morton Grove is just one town among several in Illinois that has adopted such bans.
            Yep. Oak Park also comes to mind.

Doesn't Evanston also have a ban?

Chicago, for all intents and purposes, has a ban.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
              Yep. Oak Park also comes to mind.

Doesn't Evanston also have a ban?

Chicago, for all intents and purposes, has a ban.
              I believe that evanston does as well. When will these towns realize that the bad guys don't give a crap about "gun free zones"? It's only the defenseless citizens who suffer as a result of such ordinances.

Comment

Not any more.

Comment

Evanston's a "nuclear-free" zone, too. Does anyone think an ICBM recognizes the difference between "ordnance" and "ordinance"? I recognize the difference, but I think it's obvious that the nukes, as physically sophisticated as they are, are jurisprudentially incapable.

Comment

Originally posted by LockednLoaded View Post
                    Is this still valid today?
                    As blueline said, the appeals court held in the Morton Grove case that the ordinance was acceptable, and the US Supreme Court declined to hear the case.

In cognizance of an amicus curiae ("friend of the court") brief from HCI, (Handgun Control, Inc.) the Court refused to grant the requested writ of certiorari in the matter. I think immediately thereafter a writ of mandamus (basically a "thou shalt ... " or "thou shalt not ... " writ) should have been petitioned for.

In the lawsuits filed by the NRA and others after the recent DC v Heller decision, the municipal ordinances effectively prohibiting handguns in the home, may get struck down, but for now, they're still in force.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                      but for now, they're still in force.
                      Morton Grove repeals 27-year-old gun ban
                      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5742213.story

Comment

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4155
                        Chicago Suburb Drops Ban On Private Possession Of Handguns

Friday, August 29, 2008

This week, the Village of Morton Grove, Illinois agreed to a stipulated dismissal of a NRA lawsuit challenging the village's gun ban. A new town ordinance recognizes the right to private handgun ownership, bringing an end to NRA's lawsuit against the village. Morton Grove completely dismissed its ordinance banning handguns and agreed not to replace it with any direct regulation other than to adopt existing state laws.

"Today's move is further vindication of the U.S. Supreme Court's Heller ruling upholding the Second Amendment as protecting an inherent, individual civil right for all law-abiding Americans," declared NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "Morton Grove's decision upholds state law and does not involve any registration or regulation beyond that law."

The repeal of Morton Grove's handgun ban passed on July 15, by a 5-1 vote. NRA-ILA will continue to monitor the Village of Morton Grove regarding its ban on gun stores, as the gun store provision was not a provision in the current lawsuit.

NRA may pursue civil rights actions against other municipalities who have not been cooperative to date.

"Today is an important victory and a step in the right direction for the residents of Morton Grove and for the citizens of Illinois," concluded Cox. "NRA will keep up the fight to make sure the Second Amendment is recognized and honored across the United States of America."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7695 users online. 168 members and 7527 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X