300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homophobia in CPD

Are there any problems of homophobia within the CPD? Do gay officers get treated differently?

Originally posted by JamesDean View Post
    Are there any problems of homophobia within the CPD? Do gay officers get treated differently?
    Overwhelmingly no there isn't. Believe it or not. I don't think most officers really care or not provided you can function.

Comment

I know ALLOT of CPD gay and trans-gender cops. CPD is the most diverse PD in the Nation. The City of Chicago welcomes GLBT cops with open arms. There is actually a CPD GLBT Group sponsored by CPD.

There is a CPD District #23 Town Hall, in Boys Town, the gay neighborhood, many many gay cops there.

As a CPD officer, it does not matter who you are, as long as you do your job, and do it well, with pride, dignity, and respect.

Comment

Just because a department has a GLBT unit doesn't mean it's gay friendly. Yes, it helps and adds awareness but it's not the end all be all for homophobia.

Homophobia is on a case-by-case basis based on an officers views of homosexualitly in my opinion.

My experience has been that if someone has an issue with homosexuality it doesn't matter how good or great an officer is they are viewed differently than others. Just my .02.

Don't let a concern of dealing with homophobia keep you from applying to departments. My advice is to keep your personal life personal and if you're hired on a p.d. do the absolute best you can do and give 100% every day.

Good luck!
        Last edited by MPDCjock; 09-20-2007, 12:07 AM.

Comment

ok

Yes, I am a gay male. I'm completely comfortable with that and have been for quite some time(since I was 17). I also come from a working class family full of police. Father, brothers, sister. I was the only one who actually wanted to become the police. My older sibs have degrees in varying categories (marketing, PE, PT). I was the one who, at age 10 knew the FOP handbook front to back. The greatest gift was Christmas at age 12 when I received a scanner and could hear the calls in a few different zones. Don't laugh!
          ... long story short, I have an education from a great university and I want to work for the CPD. I expect no special treatment, in fact I assume I may experience some jokes, but what I do not expect is ill treatment based solely on my sexual orientation. Someone responded that as long as I "can function" then I will be ok.
          I plan on behaving normally and ethically like my father taught me. (He never accepted a discounted meal either). Hopefully when the time comes my peers will accept me for who I am. This might sound preachy but in all honesty this is my life and I want to do this to the best of my ability. I will be a great officer. Am I an idealistic idiot? Maybe. But I'm also a realist and understand that I'm just a small part of the puzzle trying to keep this city from falling apart. I accept all responses and opinions, but please be honest.

Comment

Dean,

Be who you are no matter what. We all have one life and we should live it the way we deem fit. You don't owe anybody anything! As far as I'm concern, people who are homophobic aren't secure with their own sexuality.

When I call for help, I expect you to come running....... w/sirens ;-)

Comment

James Dean,

You will be fine.....I would be proud to work with you!
              Being gay or straight who cares....As long as you can back me up if I needed ya ...that is all that matters to me!

Are you in the process now for the CPD?

Jill

Comment

I'm a gay male and hopefully, a future CPD officer.

I would back anybody up no matter what. I don't care if you are black, white, Christian, Jewish, Athiest, Buddhist, Muslim, Short, Tall, Fat, Skinny, Hairy, Pretty, Ugly, Married, Single, Man, Women, Gay, Straight, Curious, or anything else.

I hope the same backup would be extended to me as well. :-)

Comment

Future CPD here and as mentioned, I would not care what color/race/religion/etc you are. As long as you work and backup, I got your back too.

Comment

You should not have a problem as long as you don't use your sexual orientation as an excuse to advance or for getting special assignments in the Dept. Those that usually say "I wasn't promoted or put in _____ unit because I'm _____," are usually using that as an excuse for their incompetance. As long as you are yourself, attempt to get along with your co-workers, and don't put it in people's faces to get special treatment, no one will care. As far as the 023rd Dist., a few years back, people were putting the 'rainbow" stickers on the bumper of their beat cars to show they were gay/lesbian. Thought that was ridiculous, as if they were looking for a date while working. The same as if I hung a rosary on the rearview mirror of my squad.
                    If I hear a 10-1 on Citywide while in the area, I have no idea of the sexual orientation of the copper calling it, and am going in on it. If you do your job, and leave the rest for off duty, no one will care...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11034 users online. 465 members and 10569 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X