300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how would this work.

I am currently an auxilary in a suburb of chicago, we are allowed to carry at work. My question is that I am thinking about moving into the city, the thing I am worried about is chicago has a no fire arm law (dont know the code), so what would I do with my gun? I know storing it at the house would be no problem (I would be living with a full time officer), but transporting to work how would that work. I know I could leave it at the station, I just dont feel comfortable leaving it there. Would I be okay if it was dismantled and in the trunk of my car? I know I wouldn't be able to register in chicago, I could keep it registered to my parents house in the burbs. Any insight?
    Rock Out with your Glock out
    "If you can't hit em......Crown Vic em"

Originally posted by blownbyyou View Post
    I am currently an auxilary in a suburb of chicago, we are allowed to carry at work. My question is that I am thinking about moving into the city, the thing I am worried about is chicago has a no fire arm law (dont know the code), so what would I do with my gun? I know storing it at the house would be no problem (I would be living with a full time officer), but transporting to work how would that work. I know I could leave it at the station, I just dont feel comfortable leaving it there. Would I be okay if it was dismantled and in the trunk of my car? I know I wouldn't be able to register in chicago, I could keep it registered to my parents house in the burbs. Any insight?
    Generally the rule is an hour to and from work. Living in Chicago you need to get the weapon registred, if it is a personally owned weapon. If it is a dept issued weapon it is a non issue. The handgun registration is a city ordinance that was enacted in 1984. New handguns cant be registered, the only exception is people who use them for a living, cops, security, etc.

If you are subject to the newer rules reference auxiliary training you will substantially be required to satisfy the same training requirement for any other certified officer in the state of Illinois. At that point, statute would preclude you from violating any part of the UUW statute or for that matter the city ordinance. While you may be protected by statute, administrative policy may dictate otherwise.

Example...a cop for the Chicago Department of Aviation is a certified, academy trained cop...he is unarmed....he would not likely be in violation of the UUW statute if he were carrying but he would most certainly have a problem with the DOA. Check with your department reference their policy.
    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

As far as registering your gun, call Gun Registration Section(City main TX 312-744-4000) , you may be able to check the "Peace Officer" box on the app. If you are a city resident, that gun has to be registered. And as CityBlue said, check what your Dept. policy is concerning carrying it home. Bottom line, if you are stopped (most coppers probably will give you a pass on a traf. stop) some may (city or another burb) call your Dept to check if you should be carrying. What will the Dispatcher, Watch Commander, on the other end of the phone say, and what will be said to you by them when you go to work next time? Don't jam yourself out of a job, or future job in LE.
      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 09-07-2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
        Example...a cop for the Chicago Department of Aviation is a certified, academy trained cop...he is unarmed....he would not likely be in violation of the UUW statute if he were carrying but he would most certainly have a problem with the DOA. Check with your department reference their policy.

Incorrect. Dept. of Aviation Police are authorized to carry off duty, and have been given the go-ahead from their Dept. (note: this is a fairly recent change, one that came into being around the beginning of summer, if I recall correctly)

They just don't carry on duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Off Leash View Post
          Incorrect. Dept. of Aviation Police are authorized to carry off duty, and have been given the go-ahead from their Dept. (note: this is a fairly recent change, one that came into being around the beginning of summer, if I recall correctly)

They just don't carry on duty.
          PLEEEEZE show me something to substantiate your claim, if its a recent change then I will concede ignorance of the change. I am certain somebody who works for DOA reads these forums, if this is true speak up!! However this is a police department that you are saying allows its officers to be armed off duty but not on. Sounds like a major liability issue for any PD. Who will train, qualify, and indemnify people that they employ to carry weapons that they wont allow them to carry in the performance of their duties. In the nearly 15 years that DOA has had police they were unarmed, and following 9-11 they still werent armed....could you think of a better time to arm them??? The City of Chicago has never been particular about having more than one PD......ask anyone who worked for CTA, CHA or the Park District.

Again, I am only asking for substantive proof....a news article, a DOA general order, a statement from the affected FOP lodge.....anything. I am also not inclined to believe this because CPD would have issued an addendum to their General Orders alerting their personnel of a new crop of armed city employees and the fact that it was authorized.

Anybody from the 19Paul club know any different please correct me.
          Last edited by cityblusuit; 09-09-2007, 03:30 AM. Reason: forgot sumthin

Comment

Still unarmed on duty, but there was something in the Daily Bulletin about a year or two ago that showed their new police stars, said nothing about carrying off duty..

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
              Again, I am only asking for substantive proof....a news article, a DOA general order, a statement from the affected FOP lodge.....anything. I am also not inclined to believe this because CPD would have issued an addendum to their General Orders alerting their personnel of a new crop of armed city employees and the fact that it was authorized.

Anybody from the 19Paul club know any different please correct me.
              Cityblu

All DOA information is straight from my brother, who worked there for a year and a half before leaving them quite recently to begin CPD's academy, so the information I'm giving is up to date as of the beginning of summer:

They are fully sworn police officers certified through the state of Illinois, with powers of arrest, etc. Their academy is currently Cook County Sheriff's Police over by Triton College, however they're soon going to begin attending CPD's suburban classes.

They carry police stars and their ID cards identify them as police officers. As such they are authorized to carry their weapons off duty, as long as the weapon is registered with the City of Chicago.

They do complete annual firearms training.

There is a DOA GO out confirming this.
              Last edited by Dog Off Leash; 09-12-2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Off Leash View Post
                Cityblu

All DOA information is straight from my brother, who worked there for a year and a half before leaving them quite recently to begin CPD's academy, so the information I'm giving is up to date as of the beginning of summer:

They are fully sworn police officers certified through the state of Illinois, with powers of arrest, etc. Their academy is currently Cook County Sheriff's Police over by Triton College, however they're soon going to begin attending CPD's suburban classes.

They carry police stars and their ID cards identify them as police officers. As such they are authorized to carry their weapons off duty, as long as the weapon is registered with the City of Chicago.

They do complete annual firearms training.

There is a DOA GO out confirming this.
                I am aware that they are fully sworn, w/ arrest powers, the whole nine yards, I have seen their new stars and I have no doubt that they are police officers.....never have. I remember when they were in the metro classes when I played a role player there at 1300 W Jackson.

I am really not trying to argue the point but ANY peace officer is empowered to carry a weapon off duty on the weight of their credentials by virtue of their employment as a law enforcement officer. As a conservator of the peace they are exempted from the UUW statutes. The law says they can carry but dept policy may say otherwise. Again as cops we all work in the proof business and that is all I am asking for. Additionally, if you did not realize, Public Act 94-103Requires All Illinois Police Officers To Qualify Annually In Firearms.

It doesnt matter if they carry on duty, as a matter of maintaining certification (by state law) they must qual. They are still unarmed on duty. The DOA police was created as a magnet for federal security funding, academy attendance was necessary to ID them as Police to get the dollars.....notice CPD has never left the airports???

I am simply asking you to provide reference to a general order from CPD or DOA,CPD daily bulletin, or even a department notice that states otherwise. CPD is very good about putting photos of stars and ID cards of agencies in the area that go through changes. I promise you that CPD would tell its officers that the airport cops are now armed and authorized. It is common knowledge that they are unarmed. When a non CPD officer is contacted by CPD it will be assumed and likely established the officer is armed. When a DOA officer contacted by CPD it is presumed he is not armed.....PERIOD. Knowing this the CPD officer woulf likely confirm that PDQ. The City would put the word out PDQ!!!

If the city wanted a fully armed and functionind PD in the airports they would be armed and they would have gone through a specifically tailored program of training at the CPD academy, not Triton. Think about that..... you have a city agency that will pay another agency to train its employees out of town, when it has its own facility in the City that provides the same training to other area agencies and on top of that has a residency requirement.

If a DOA officer was involved in off duty shooting. I assure he would be subjected to a roundtable in which he would be investigated relative to his compliance with state law relative to the use of force. If it was a clean shoot he will be fine as a duly sworn officer EMPOWERED by the State of Illinois. That DOA officer will then have to deal the fact that he is EMPLOYED by an agency that has the authority to limit what he is empowered to do.

I understand CPD has had a change in weapons policy. For the sake of argument lets say CPD still forbade glocks. An off duty CPD officer gets in a shooting with a glock or even an unregistered gun ....what happens to him??

I again ask very simply for anybody who is still w/ DOA or CPD provide me with some kind of verifiable confirmation. We are all cops or want to be, we work in the fact and proof business, So far I have been offered no proof or facts.
                Last edited by cityblusuit; 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Additionally, if you did not realize, Public Act 94-103Requires All Illinois Police Officers To Qualify Annually In Firearms
                  Yup, I'm aware. Thanks.

As for the rest, I'm not going to get into theoretical debates that don't mean squat in the grand scheme of things. It's not like the opinions of "Dog Off Leash" or "CityBluSuit" mean much of spit to the politicians in Chicago. We might agree on many things, or we might disagree, but it don't really matter. I'm not going to sit here and argue back & forth with a CPD officer - I've got too many family on the job and respect you guys too much - especially over something this stupid.

I've told you what I can, bro. Sorry it's not enough.

We are all cops or want to be, we work in the fact and proof business, So far I have been offered no proof or facts.
                  I've given you the facts, directly from someone who left there less than 4 months ago. Short of scanning a DOA document (which there's no way in hell you'd get me to do), I don't know what else you want. I don't appreciate you implying that I'm full of it.

You're CPD. Around these parts it means you're the top dog. Go stop off at Aviation PD HQ at O'Hare and get the proof you've been asking for.
                  Last edited by Dog Off Leash; 09-13-2007, 07:57 PM. Reason: Edited to correct a spelling mistake

Comment

I am trying to be responsible and encourage you to be the same. There are too many people on these forums who want to do anything they can to be the police, they want to put lights in their cars, and find out what kind of Back up gun they can buy and they want to know why this gun or that gun is not approved, and they havent even begun firearms in the academy, and there is all of the other goofy stuff, when can I go to a tact team or test for detective when I havent even been a cop yet....lot of other goofy stuff, all kinds of other goofy stuff. Truthfully I do not want some misinformed, ill-advised PPO or wannabe running around like a "dog off a leash" ......"especially because of something stupid".

I conceded things may have changed since I left CPD, I also asked if ANYBODY from either organization could shed light, nobody has!!! and I am certain there are droves of DOA cops on these forums who are applying to CPD but none have spoken. Further I stated that an officer can carry legally offduty, I implied that if the agency prohibits such then he has a problem administratively. I implied nothing of you, I just asked for some substantiation.

"Lighten up Francis"
                    Last edited by cityblusuit; 09-14-2007, 03:09 AM.

Comment

"they want to know why this gun or that gun is not approved, and they havent even begun firearms in the academy, and there is all of the other goofy stuff, when can I go to a tact team or test for detective when I havent even been a cop yet....lot of other goofy stuff"

what is the point of having a site like this if someone interested in becoming a police officer has questions and they are called goofy for asking them. I thought that having a site like this would let people who are interested in becoming LE have an opportunity to ask these questions when maybe they dont have a friend or family member in the LE field and get real life answers from real life officers. just a thought. i just thought that the more you know about a potential job the better you off you would be. but i guess im goofy

Comment

Originally posted by taw7 View Post
                        "they want to know why this gun or that gun is not approved, and they havent even begun firearms in the academy, and there is all of the other goofy stuff, when can I go to a tact team or test for detective when I havent even been a cop yet....lot of other goofy stuff"

what is the point of having a site like this if someone interested in becoming a police officer has questions and they are called goofy for asking them. I thought that having a site like this would let people who are interested in becoming LE have an opportunity to ask these questions when maybe they dont have a friend or family member in the LE field and get real life answers from real life officers. just a thought. i just thought that the more you know about a potential job the better you off you would be. but i guess im goofy
                        You are only goofy when you only take half of what I wrote and twist it into something else. I said "Truthfully I do not want some misinformed, ill-advised PPO or wannabe running around like a "dog off a leash" ......"especially because of something stupid" I prefaced everything by stating that as cops we are supposed to be in the fact and proof business and stressed the importance of giving accurate, verifiable, information. I also invited ANYONE with more current information and exposure to chime in.....no one has. I want people on these forums to be provided real answers. You are right, "the more you know...the better off you would be". I just want you to know the truth and have a means to verify, confirm, and attest to it. Just like a real cop is expected and sworn to do!!!
                        Last edited by cityblusuit; 09-15-2007, 03:16 AM.

Comment

There are too many people on these forums who want to do anything they can to be the police, they want to put lights in their cars, and find out what kind of Back up gun they can buy and they want to know why this gun or that gun is not approved, and they havent even begun firearms in the academy, and there is all of the other goofy stuff, when can I go to a tact team or test for detective when I havent even been a cop yet....lot of other goofy stuff, all kinds of other goofy stuff.
                          I can fully understand that. Something we agree upon, at least as far as purchasing lights & sirens and all that j***.

As for the rest, the questions about special assignments, duty weapons, etc., who cares? If folks want to know, let them ask. Who are you to judge what someone's worth is on a question? If you don't like the question, you don't have to answer.

Does this site get it's fair share of knuckleheads? Sure. Does everyone who post here fall into that category? Hardly. I think you'd be pretty surprised by the backgrounds of some of the posters here.

......"especially because of something stupid".
                          I believe this is in response to my above reply in regards to arguing over something stupid. That was in reference as to why CPD is still at the airports, CPD putting out info about other agencies' stars & ID cards, DOA PD going to CCSP Academy rather than CPD's, etc. Since it has no direct bearing on the topic at hand, and would be the two of us slinging opinions and guesses back & forth, I decided to avoid the subject. Just wanted to clear the air on that.

Truthfully I do not want some misinformed, ill-advised PPO or wannabe running around like a "dog off a leash"
                          Dude, just who the hell do you think you're calling a "misinformed, ill-advised PPO or wannabe"? Since you directly used my sign-on name, I have to believe that's the intent of your statement. You're sniffin at the wrong fire plug, bro.

I conceded things may have changed since I left CPD, I also asked if ANYBODY from either organization could shed light, nobody has!!! and I am certain there are droves of DOA cops on these forums who are applying to CPD but none have spoken. Further I stated that an officer can carry legally offduty, I implied that if the agency prohibits such then he has a problem administratively. I implied nothing of you, I just asked for some substantiation.
                          I've told you what I know. I've even suggested you check it out yourself. I don't know what more you want or expect. I fully expect if I was so obviously wrong, I'd already have been told so by about three dozen coppers. I would then apologize for being given faulty intel. The fact that nobody's come forward and said anything should be a clue that they don't know either.

As for why nobody from DOA's posted here yet, I don't know. However, there's not a whole lot of them to begin with - certainly not compared to CPD or any of our larger 'burbs.

You can patter on all you want about your "proof", the desire & need for which - since you're no longer CPD, despite your avatar - boggles my mind. No officer, even the "misinformed, ill-advised PPO", is going to use this forum as a guideline for their chosen Dept.'s rules governing the carrying of weapons. To believe so is completely nonsensical.

This is getting ridiculous.
                          Last edited by Dog Off Leash; 09-16-2007, 08:21 AM.

Comment

[
                            I believe you cant see the forest because of the trees. So I am gonna try this one more time. A certified sworn police officer who has attended and graduated an academy or received a waiver of training can carry a concealed weapon consistent with the provisions of the ILCS. In the eyes of the law, and with justification he will be okay. Department policy will be another story, and while the law may be on your side your agency may not. In CPD, the language at the academy was that the Departments Use of Force Policy was deliberately more restrictive than what state allowed. You have completely lost the point, ANY police officer, who possesses powrs can carry a weapon off duty. With that responsibility in place, an agency such as DOA would be setting up a litigious maelstrom. Stick this is your pipe and ponder the aroma....if an off-duty DOA Police Officer gets involved in a shooting....when and where will his department cover him!!!!! He will be on his own and his comrades in FOP lodge 261 will be struggling to come up with some attempt to explain and host a benefit for him. YES YOU ARE RIGHT...STATE LAW SAYS HE CAN CARRY.....IF HIS AGENCY SAYS HE CANNOT AND HE GETS INTO A SHOOTING HIS AGENCY IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO COVER HIM LEGALLY OR EVEN ARGUE THAT HE IS FUNCTIONING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF HIS DUTIES. In the City or the burbs, when the W/C for the Jurisdiction has to call DOA Police to advise that one of their officers was involved in an offduty shooting...I promise u the career dissipation light will get dimmer!!

As for the dog off a leash comment....it was a convenient play on words...but I am speaking to everyone....I REPEAT....Truthfully I do not want some misinformed, ill-advised PPO or wannabe running around like a "dog off a leash". ??? I am someone who has doing this job for nearly 20 years, been to too many cop funerals and seen too many careers and marriages ended. I have also seen too many people who want to be detectives and tactical officers, and (my personal favorite) a CSI who dont even know if they have what it takes to be a cop ....a patrolman workin a beat car and doing loop traffic control to burn up his probation. Before you can be special forces shouldnt you know how to be a soldier??? Before you can even worry about being a paramedic shouldnt you know how to be an EMT!?!?!?! You know....crawl, walk, run.

I left Chicago ten years ago and started over as a cop in Arizona. Now I am a night detective and with time differences and sleep I havent had a chance to check DOA....I will check monday. But instead of getting all knotted up in a bunch, recognize as I know you do, when people do ask questions on these forums...stupid or goofy or whatever they deserve to be given honest answers that are based upon experience, knowledge, fact and the confirmation of others saying the same thing.

Your getting ****ed at me bcuz I ask for more info so that people may have an informed answer....thats nonsensical!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9176 users online. 444 members and 8732 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X