300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in your patrol zone?

I'm curious, does anybody else get yelled at by their supervisors for sliding over to another zone to back up another officer on a call even when not dispatched to assist? The call in question was a "hold-up" alarm at a gas station/mini-mart which is a hot spot for shady characters to loiter around anyway. Only 1 unit was dispatched thats why the other unit responded also & he got yelled at for being out of his zone. We're being told to stay in our "zones" & not assist unless dispatched. Half the time they're not really paying attention anyway. This is bringing down the morale of our shift as we all enjoy providing back-up on calls. Is this normal everywhere?

I can't understand why anyone would catch crap for backing a unit on a job in a trouble spot. One way to do this would be to get on the air with "I'll back him on that call," and let the Supervisor tell you over the air to not go to it. Then you verify over the air with "Not responding to back Unit X as per Unit#'s (Supervisor's #) order. If every car started doing that, I'll bet something would change.

Years back when chase policies were getting tightened and every Sgt. immediately called them off regardless of the circumstances, we would get on the air when one terminated a chase with "Letting that armed robbery offender go as per 230's order."

Puts the boss on the line for explaining the action he took .vs the unspoken, unwritten, non-rule that you are to follow and be disciplined for.

Comment

WOW, that is some BS!!! I work in a good size busy town. We have 8 beats, geographically about 25 square miles, and during "prime" hours, about 24 guys working between patrol, Tac, traffic, etc. If we get a hot call (good fight, unusual hold up alarm, etc.), there is usually 2 cars dispatched, but I can almost GUARANTEE you, there will be 6-12 guys showing up depending upon the call. On my PD if you DON'T show up (even if not dispatched) that does not reflect well, God help you if you were the last one to show up on scene and you should have been in the area... We like to Rock and Roll so guys are always showing up and to my knowledge NO Sup. has looked down their nose at it. We believe in getting home in one piece. The only one at times that seems to get annoyed is Dispatch cause they have to log all the units on scene and reassign or hold other calls...lol.

Sidenote: Never is one car assigned to a potential "hot" call. One car is only assigned to delayed paper calls with no possible offender on scene. For Domestics we will stage and wait for our backup even if it is 5-10 mins (or longer) away.
      Last edited by dogcop; 08-26-2007, 10:16 PM.
      www.saveavet.org

Comment

I've left the district a bunch of times to back up guys who call for assists. Beat, sector, zone, or disrict be damned! If I know someone could use my help and it's not just some BS paper job, I'm there.

Comment

You ALWAYS back-up another officer no matter what. I'd rather take days than have someone get hurt.

Comment

My take?

Good officers back other officers...even when they may not ask for help or be dispatched a back up unit. Good cops know to check on other cops; good cops know that certain types of calls or encounters have the potential to go downhill quickly. Good cops don't let other cops get hurt.

Lazy cops protest and use beat boundries as excuses to avoid work.
            My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by RJSPPO View Post
              :The call in question was a "hold-up" alarm at a gas station/mini-mart which is a hot spot for shady characters to loiter around anyway. Only 1 unit was dispatched ...
              There should be a clear understanding that certain incidents are to be handled by more than one officer. The dispatchers should assign more than one officer in these cases as a matter of policy, if not common sense.

A supervisor who lets one officer handle a robbery-in-progress call is not doing his duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                There should be a clear understanding that certain incidents are to be handled by more than one officer. The dispatchers should assign more than one officer in these cases as a matter of policy, if not common sense.

A supervisor who lets one officer handle a robbery-in-progress call is not doing his duty.
                Yes, that is all well and good.. but a supervisor not handling calls properly is not an excuse for a fellow officer to not help another.

Firemanjb hit the nail on the head here.. even when I am off duty and just driving around/etc I am attentive to situations and local law enforcement to see if there is anything I could help out with in a life/death/great bodily harm situation.

Comment

I'm curious, does anybody else get yelled at by their supervisors for sliding over to another zone to back up another officer on a call even when not dispatched to assist? The call in question was a "hold-up" alarm at a gas station/mini-mart which is a hot spot for shady characters to loiter around anyway. Only 1 unit was dispatched thats why the other unit responded also & he got yelled at for being out of his zone. We're being told to stay in our "zones" & not assist unless dispatched. Half the time they're not really paying attention anyway. This is bringing down the morale of our shift as we all enjoy providing back-up on calls. Is this normal everywhere?
                  I don't know where you work, but your bosses need to have their heads examined. Here is the way I see it......Who the hell cares where you as long as you answer you calls in your area and get the job done? Simple as that. ALWAYS BACK OTHER COPS NO MATTER WHAT.

Comment

aahhhh ,"union"??????? its called "officer safety" and sounds like a grievance issue to file with your Police officers Assoc.(or as some call it PBA,or lodge ,etc).Unless this bogus crap is coming from the C.O.P office,it sounds like some POGUE desk Sgt who thinks officers are trying to get out of work(ecuase thats what the pogue sgts used to do as equally sorry officers).Now if your patrol districts or "beats" are having serious unique problems or crimes that aren't being addressed,then the issue of being "locked" into your RDs doesn't make sense.so what happens if several areas are left un covered 'cause units are out of service( arrests,follow up calls,investigations)??? just leave the areas uncovered until a call comes out? now if you have more than 20 sq miles to cover per beat or RD,then roving is not necessarily a good idea.Or if officers have a bad habit of going to a "second roll call" in the area 7/11 or winchells,then supvs need to be so strict.also, is there some kind of local citizens advisory or businessmens assoc. that is demanding this ?Either way- you guys need to grieve this stuff or continue to take it....
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10382 users online. 444 members and 9938 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X