300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Police Gear

I have been trying to find out what is the vest that the Chicago Police Officers wear over their uniforms. Can anyone tell me what they are called and where to find them. Thank you.

Try this place:

www.natesleather.com

Comment

They're just vest covers/carriers. Most of the uniform shops make them. I got my at V&G on Irving.

Comment

TS622, you meant J&G Uniform. They are TOP NOTCH. Nates quality and service SUCKS. Avoid at all costs, My first 3 vest covers came from Nates (this is what my old PD paid for), all fit poor, had crappy stiching, everything was uneven, etc, a real headache. Out of my own pocket, I then bought from J&G. I have since gotten my last 3 covers from there, they are great people to do business with.
        www.saveavet.org

Comment

I've been going to Nates for years and have never had a problem with them.May have changed since the kid has been running it for the last few years. That being said, going into patrol, I'd get the one that is made from a uniform shirt. Goes in the wash easily and not readily apparent that you have a vest on. I had one of the blue leather ones and now have a black leather one (for formal occasions). Sad to say that I don't usually wear it, but have it with me most of the time. You could always wear it under your shirt or over the shirt, but under the sweater in cooler weather. That may be the way to go if $$ is limited. You will shell out some $$ for all the stuff you need. I got lucky when I came on as my old Dept. wore CPD shirts/pants/leather. I was the only guy in our class that didn't have to sign up for the credit union loan the second day of school.

PS. Stay away from Cale's Uniforms at all costs, treat you like crap as if they are doing you a favor by selling stuff to you, and will give you whatever they want that is in stock, not necessarily what you need. VCG on 111th-Fairfield are good people, treat you right..
          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 07-28-2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

What level do you guys wear?

I have a IIIA that I got from Nates. Didn't have any issues of any kind, btw. Since I'm out of the PI/security profession, I was thinking about getting rid of my vest and getting it when I'll need it down the line.

Or should I just keep the vest? It's only 2-3 years old.

Comment

Why get rid of the vest??? You won't get much money for it, and then have to spend more money down the line possibly. Even if you get a "free" one later, it is always good to have a backup. I keep my old one at home for the "you never know when" scenerio. Maybe Nates has improved, been a few years since I've gone there. The son always seemed like such a Pothead to me...lol. So, I will retract my Nates sucks, to "no opinion", but I will say that J&G is awesome. Also, I know some guys might be confused here that might read this and are not familiar with this, we are talking EXTERNAL COVERS for the ballistic panels to fit in to, not the panels themselves.
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, Can anyone tell me we else on-line, or any other stores that carry vest covers.

Comment

Also what is the brand name of the vest covers? What company makes them

Comment

Nate's has taken care of me so far......I got my vest there and walked out with it that day instead of waiting a month and if you buy your vest from them they give you an exterior carrier for free which will save you about $80

Comment

Everytime I went into Nates they were out of stock on the things I needed. J & G has been great with everything I've gotten from them and they do do excellent work with their vest covers. What's the name of the other uniform store on Irving East of J & G? I've never heard anything negative about them. There's also Chicago Uniform on Roosevelt. I got almost all of my academy gear from there, they were good people...gave us free pizza

Comment

Vcg Uniform Is The One East Of J&G......they Too Do A Great Job With The Vest Covers As Well As Anyother Uniform Needs You May Have

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, Can anyone tell me we else on-line, or any other stores that carry vest covers.
                          Your vest needs to be MEASURED for the cover, so the person doing it ideally needs to see and measure your vest and YOU for proper fit. I am a HUGE on-line ordering person, BUT this is one area I say DON'T do it. It shows you live Chicago-land area. Take the time to drive. At J&G, if you want, you only have to drive out the first time, they will UPS you the finished cover, but again, I always go in the second time so I can make sure it is the way I want it. I drive 40 minutes each way to get to J&G, but it is worth it and the cover will last for 2+ years, small time price to pay in the big picture. At Streichers, Galls, etc. yes, they sell external covers, BUT they are not custom and they cost MORE than the custom stores. You get a custom made garment with all the bells and whistles for right around 100 bucks, you can't beat that.
                          Also what is the brand name of the vest covers? What company makes them
                          There isn't one, they are custom made. Again, if you want the best work at the best price with the best fit, DRIVE to one of these stores, forget on-lione.
                          Last edited by dogcop; 07-29-2007, 03:27 AM.
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

I agree with dogcop, you have to get measured. When I bought mine at Nate's, they measured me and it fits so much better than my co-workers whose vests weren't measured.

And get some of those sweat wicking shirts if you haven't already. It gets really hot wearing body armor in the summer!

Comment

Also a VCG at 111th-Fairfield for southsiders. In the strip mall with the credit union. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6049 users online. 226 members and 5823 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X