300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Offer of Employment

Just want to say that I was offered a Conditional offer of employment as a PPO today from my dream dept. I am very excited. I know its not stating that I have the job. I still have to pass the psychological next week and also a medical and eye exam shortly after. I just want to say that this forum has helped me a lot in the past 2 yrs being in here. Im just worried that I might fail the psych exam again since its the same place that Chicago goes to. They stated I wasnt fit for Chicago. I hope they dont say the same thing to me do the previous exam. Any advice?
    Last edited by ChgoPaintball; 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM.

They stated I wasnt fit for Chicago
    That means you will be FINE with 99% of other depts then...lol!!!! My advice is, DO NOT ANSWER what they don't ask you. ALOT of guys get "foot in mouth" disease during this part of the process. Be truthful, be professional, BUT do not give anyone ammo to use against you. During the psych, give short and concise answers. Don't be Superman, but don't be a scared little squirrel either, just be normal. DON'T go into long winded moral debates, don't let the interviewer rattle you, etc. Be confident in what you answer, don't backtrack, don't look wishy washy, etc. Now, for the rest of the process, relax, chances are it will go smooth and you will be in the Academy before you know it.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

thank dogcop. advice taken.

Comment

CONGRATS! and good luck.

RyBaK477

Comment

Even though you have that conditional offer, keep testing. I too had that offer, and I ended up failing the psych. Keeping up with the testing process was the best thing I could have done.

Comment

Originally posted by blueline1032 View Post
            Even though you have that conditional offer, keep testing. I too had that offer, and I ended up failing the psych. Keeping up with the testing process was the best thing I could have done.
            advice taken. It something I been planning on doing. Yo are never to sure on what could happen. Always have a back up plan is my motto. Was told that from a smart professor at college. "Everything can be great with daisies and flowers, but always have a backup plan when that world collapses." Never forgot those words.

Thanks again.

Comment

anyone ever had a situation like this where the same psychological place said one thing for one dept. but gave you the OK for another?
              Just curious and a little worried.

Comment

Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
                anyone ever had a situation like this where the same psychological place said one thing for one dept. but gave you the OK for another?
                Just curious and a little worried.
                Keep in mind that it is a personality asessment and not really a psych test as in psychological analysis.

The test is looking for different traits and different departments look for different traits.

I hope you answer similarly to the previous test because for example, if you were DQ'd the first time by hitting the lie scale too many times and now you go in and barely hit the lie scale they could possibly DQ you based upon that inconsistency.

It's hard to say what will happen.

Comment

Took the psych exam today. I was there from 845am til about 1130 on just the exams. It wasnt the MMPI-2 which I thought it would be. Some of the questions seemed to come from it though. There was a PyschQ exam, A patrol officer exam (blue book), and 1 more I cant recall. Took the exam, they scanned them and in 10 mins I was in my interview. I was ready to go. Suit, tie, clean shirt. Im rocking this one. Sat down and asked the basic protical questions. Name, DOB, SSN, living arrangements, etc. Well, something happened. I was asked, "ever thought of committing suicide?". "No sir." Psych- "Well on the exam you answered 3 questions saying that you have thought of it." Thinks about it. "Can you please read the questions I was confused?" Psych- "Sure. 'Days have never been so bad that I plan on killing myself.' You answered False stating that it was true." "Sorry sir, but that was the one question I misinterpreted due to wordying." Psych- "Ok, let me right that down. Dont have to tell you the other questions because they were worded the same and you said you never thought of committing the act. Well Mr. (My last name), Good luck to you. Orland Park haves the say in this."

I think it went well. No issues like the last one I had (chicago). I hope that incident didnt hurt me though. I did get confused on some questions. Tomorrow the medical, Friday the eye exam. Im rocking this week.

Comment

Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
                    Took the psych exam today. I was there from 845am til about 1130 on just the exams. It wasnt the MMPI-2 which I thought it would be. Some of the questions seemed to come from it though. There was a PyschQ exam, A patrol officer exam (blue book), and 1 more I cant recall. Took the exam, they scanned them and in 10 mins I was in my interview. I was ready to go. Suit, tie, clean shirt. Im rocking this one. Sat down and asked the basic protical questions. Name, DOB, SSN, living arrangements, etc. Well, something happened. I was asked, "ever thought of committing suicide?". "No sir." Psych- "Well on the exam you answered 3 questions saying that you have thought of it." Thinks about it. "Can you please read the questions I was confused?" Psych- "Sure. 'Days have never been so bad that I plan on killing myself.' You answered False stating that it was true." "Sorry sir, but that was the one question I misinterpreted due to wordying." Psych- "Ok, let me right that down. Dont have to tell you the other questions because they were worded the same and you said you never thought of committing the act. Well Mr. (My last name), Good luck to you. Orland Park haves the say in this."

I think it went well. No issues like the last one I had (chicago). I hope that incident didnt hurt me though. I did get confused on some questions. Tomorrow the medical, Friday the eye exam. Im rocking this week.
                    All 3 questions that you mis read where in reguards to if you ever thought about commiting suicide?

Comment

he read just the 1 question to me. And the wording was confusing (that how i remember the wording as of now). I did misinterpreted that 1 question he read to me. He never read the other 2.
                      I can understand the 1 read to me. I dont know how 2 more slipped passed.
                      honestly, the thought of killing myself never came to mind.
                      Hope this doesnt hurt my chances of getting the job.
                      Last edited by ChgoPaintball; 07-31-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

THAT is what is wrong with the majority of Psych tests. I have my BA in Psych and was going for my Master's and then got "the call" for the "job". Well... the majority of the Psych tests I took, the test ITSELF would be considered "invalid" in the world of real Psychology. Psych tests ARE NOT suppossed to be full of trick questions or about reading comprehension. A real Test straight out should ask, "Have you ever thought about commiting Suicide?" Bam, done, no reading between the lines BS. A Psych should provide a clean and understandable assessment of the person, not be full of double speak. Yes, for me this is a hot topic because I know that good people gets bounced for BS reasons, and people that have NO BUSINESS being the Police get through. I swear most places still use tests like it is 1968...garbage. Anyway, best of luck to you.
                        www.saveavet.org

Comment

Orland Park-Hodgkins...Mmmm, I'd have think this one over..

Good Luck...

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                            Orland Park-Hodgkins...Mmmm, I'd have think this one over..

Good Luck...
                            Thanks. Hope Im not bringing a dead thread up.

Update: Had the eye exam today. Doc says I passed everything according to the LEO testing procedure for the eye exam. He then said that my eyes improved and prefers to lower my contact lense prescription and to let my eye doctor know that when I go for my yearly checkup. Thats always good news, LEO or not.

Well, all my exams are done for this department. One week of nothing but interviews and examinations. The verdict comes in a week. Which is going to kill me cause ill be away so my family will find out before me. Wish me luck.

Comment

Conditional Offer of Employment

What does a Conditional Offer of Employment really mean? Also, how long does it take to be sworn in after all tests have been completed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12105 users online. 485 members and 11620 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X