• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
    Not if you get assigned to 011 !
    "Give me some travelling time, Squad."

Comment

Hey M.C.S.D,

Freddie's has the best Italian Ice by far. It's the sweetest. Good call on POPS in Mt. Greenwood, too.

Hey ts622,

I've enjoyed plenty of "cultured" establishments up on the NORTH SIDE, too. Name your culinary favorite up north, and I've probably been there.

Be Safe Out There,

cpd007

Thank goodness for travel time.

Comment

Originally posted by cpd007 View Post
        Hey M.C.S.D,

Freddie's has the best Italian Ice by far. It's the sweetest. Good call on POPS in Mt. Greenwood, too.
        Yeah POPS is by fr my favorite when it comes to beef, that or Rosangela's on 95th right across from Little Company of Mary. I love that they stew their meat in red sauce all day........ mmmmm good stuff.

I grew up on POPS and The Frosted Mug I lived in the area almost my whole life and went to HS at Marist, so I got to enjoy all the good places out there.

The one place I wish was still as good as theyused to be is Riccobeni's (sp?). My father grew up with teh owners son and we used to get breaded steaks from there all the time.... that was when they were still really good and HUGE.

hmmm, food. god I love food!!!

Comment

I take my Italian beef seriously.

I'm a member of a Chicago-based restaurant and cooking webforum and we did an end all Beef-a-thon in November. The restaurants were selected from 4 semi-finals. In other words, each of these places were nominated and ranked in earlier Beef-a-thons and were granted admission to the lofty ranks of Finalists. Ranks were based upon, as I recall, beef, bread, juice, sweet peppers, giardiniera, french fries, establishment ambiance and the catch-all sandwich as a whole catagory. Secret votes were tabulated by trusted board members who arrived at the following scores.

Code:
          8.3 Johnnies Beef 7500 W North Elmwood Park 
          8.2 Chickies Beef 2839 S Pulaski 
          7.9 Al's Beef 1079 W Taylor 
          7.6 Patio Restaurant 1503 W Taylor 

7.0 Max's 5745 N Western 
          6.5 Uncle Johnny's Grocery 500 W 32nd 
          6.4 Pop's 10337 S Kedzie
          Yes, I actually visited each of these places in an afternoon. Yes, the one closest to my home both won the popular ballot and was my personal favorite. You really can't go wrong with Johnnies.

And try to take in a Cubs game. Forget that soulless, vapid park on the southside. The Friendly confines await you with open arms.

Comment

woah woah woah

Im sorry but I dont know about that.......

No offense to you north siders, but no way. First Pops takes Johnnies HANDS DOWN!!! Second........ whos home are you calling souless and vapid? Ive been going to COMISKEY (and yes THAT is the real name) since I was born, and spent the first 3rd of my life living in Bridgeport. Ok so it might be a little crappy now, but I remember when it was a largely italian neighborhood and was a great place to be.

Psssshhhh Wrigley. Ever been around there at night? Its a zoo, all the ball players dress in drag and hang around on street corners. lol. Hmmm good ol boys town.

Comment

The juice in the Pops beef sandwiches just don't have that flaor that the Johnny's beef sandwiches do.

Johnnys' combo sandwiches are to die for!

My friends can't believe I eat so much. With all this talk about eating, you guys probably think I'm some big guy. No, I'm not. I'm a little 5'7", 135 pound guy. Buddy told me, "You're the skinniest littlest fatman I've ever known."

Comment

Originally posted by M.C.S.D View Post
                First Pops takes Johnnies HANDS DOWN!!!
                With all due respect, Pop's came in last place, having scored only 77% of the points Johnnies amassed. Try them both, maybe not on the same day but as close an interval as you can. The sausage at Johnnies rocks, too.

Psssshhhh Wrigley. Ever been around there at night? Its a zoo, all the ball players dress in drag and hang around on street corners. lol. Hmmm good ol boys town.
                We Northsiders are pleased you Southside guys think that Wrigleyville nights are hell on earth. You are correct to maintain your quivering, timid posture down by your unimaginative number street names.
                We'd also like to extend to the Southside ladies an invitation to haul up and sample the goodlife here in the handsome North with my fellow monied gentry.

I'll refrain from further White Sox taunts until the Cubs pick up a game or two on Milwaukee.

Comment

Hahah, its all in good fun. I have a buddy who is HARDCORE north sider. When the Cubs were "supposed to go all the way" we went down to wrigley the night they lost and were booted from the series. I walked around with him in full cubs gear and me DECKED OUT in Sox gear. HE tried to do the same thing to me when the sox were in the series, but oh yeah, we won. lol.
                  Its not hell on Earth there, its just hell in drag. lol.
                  I live off of belmont and clark for a year, so trust me its not like I have this big myth about what the north side and wrigley is like.
                  Cant we all just get along?

Oh and I have had Johnnies within, well a few days of having pops. Dont get me wrong, I like Johnnies, but Pops will always be better to me. Mayeb its caus Ive been going there so long or the fact that I know the guys who own it and operate it, but oh well.

Either way I look at it like this........ They are both a HELL of alot better then most places.

Comment

woah woah woah

Im sorry but I dont know about that.......

No offense to you north siders, but no way. First Pops takes Johnnies HANDS DOWN!!! Second........ whos home are you calling souless and vapid? Ive been going to COMISKEY (and yes THAT is the real name) since I was born, and spent the first 3rd of my life living in Bridgeport. Ok so it might be a little crappy now, but I remember when it was a largely italian neighborhood and was a great place to be.

Largely Italian? You must have grown up north of 35th my friend! Still a great place to be.

Comment

Slightly....... 31rst.

Bridgeport as a whole was a very large italian community, well before I was even born. It started to turn around the mid to late 80's.

Comment

Slightly....... 31rst.

Bridgeport as a whole was a very large italian community, well before I was even born. It started to turn around the mid to late 80's.
                        Now it's more "I'll take a beef fried rice," or "Burrito with everything," than "Give me a beef w/ giardinera and a slice of sausage."

Punky's on 26th ain't bad, either. I do like POP's (they gotta speed it up in there, though..I live around the corner, makes it nice to send the kids there to get the old man something to eat..). Rosangela's in a good call, also, eat there about every 2 weeks. When I worked in 007, used to hit Fat Johnnie's on Western for some "dashboard dining." Vito-Nicks and Angies on Pulaski are another 2 all-time favs..
                        Last edited by ChiTownDet; 07-31-2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                          Now it's more "I'll take a beef fried rice," or "Burrito with everything," than "Give me a beef w/ giardinera and a slice of sausage."

Punky's on 26th ain't bad, either. I do like POP's (they gotta speed it up in there, though..I live around the corner, makes it nice to send the kids there to get the old man something to eat..). Rosangela's in a good call, also, eat there about every 2 weeks. When I worked in 007, used to hit Fat Johnnie's on Western for some "dashboard dining." Vito-Nicks and Angies on Pulaski are another 2 all-time favs..
                          Scary. We probably all know each other. My family moved in during the early 70s. Did'nt go over too well then, but it all worked out.
                          I'm a big fan of the Freddie's steak sandwich. For Chinese, Ed's Potsticker house is good. IMO (and being latino) the Mexican food in the neighborhood leaves alot to be desired. My favorite hotdogs are from the place on Grand and Pulaski, the name escapes me.

Comment

Originally posted by Himso View Post
                            Scary. We probably all know each other. My family moved in during the early 70s. Did'nt go over too well then, but it all worked out.
                            I'm a big fan of the Freddie's steak sandwich. For Chinese, Ed's Potsticker house is good. IMO (and being latino) the Mexican food in the neighborhood leaves alot to be desired. My favorite hotdogs are from the place on Grand and Pulaski, the name escapes me.
                            that place, my friend, is Jimmy's Red Hots. My dad has been taking me there since i was a kid. love it.
                            sigpic

Comment

The wife and I took our kids in this past weekend for a quick family vacation. Highly recommend the aquarium and museum. Its a gorgeous city with lots to offer its visitors. I've been to Wrigley. Can't say I've been to a Sox game although the wife would love that as she's a fan. I'm more partial to the Yankees (who couldn't win a game if they had the largest payroll in the entire league.)

Best advice, stay off the toll-way unless you have been cleared for a 3rd mortgage. LOL - it isn't that bad but there are better routes plus much more scenic.

Comment

Well I'm back from Chicago. I had a great time and loved the city. As for dining we went to the Yolk, Mrs Parks Tavern (at our hotel), and some place inside the Water Tower for breakfast. We had lunch at the Lou Malnati's (hope i spelled that right). I didn't really know anything about Chicago deep dish pizza but I'm guessing it must be the normal thing to have all the tomatos on top. It was pretty good pizza but it was so much cheese and rich that I could only handle to big pieces.

Last night we had dinner at the David Burke's Primehouse. It was definitely excellent. We got to go to the Art Institute, Millinieum Park( awesome), shopping on Michigan Ave. and Lincoln Square, and Navy Pier for the fireworks. Overall we had a great time, but I wouldn't recommend Navy Pier, it seemed a little too touristy and not the best fireworks.

The only little problem we had was not going the right way on the "El" and we ended up not getting to go to the comedy show. I guess I should paid more attention to the map and less to what my sister had said.

I saw plenty of the CPD around. I was wondering what is the difference in the blue uniforms and the black ones? Also just wondering ya'll must get really long lunches, saw a couple of guys at our pizza there at least an hour. I wish we got that much time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10850 users online. 458 members and 10392 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X