300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a Trip to Chicago

My younger sister (19) and I are probably taking a trip to Chicago Labor Day weekend. Right now its our top choice. Does anyone have recommendations on places to stay and eat, things to do or any special attractions. I appreciate any suggestions that you can give. Thanks.

Originally posted by frogdust View Post
    My younger sister (19) and I are probably taking a trip to Chicago Labor Day weekend. Right now its our top choice. Does anyone have recommendations on places to stay and eat, things to do or any special attractions. I appreciate any suggestions that you can give. Thanks.
    For great food and a great place for tourists try Harry Carry's. I was surprised the first time I ate there.

Comment

Food:

Portillo's-they're known for their Italian Beef, hotdogs and burgers. All are great.

Gino's East Pizza-the best deep dish pizza in the world.

Giordano's Pizza-the 2nd best deep dish pizza in the world.

Johnny's Italian Beef-some of the best beef you'll ever have.

Zaca Taco's-some of the best Mexican I've ever had. It's on 71st. South Pulaski.

If you're near the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC) area, check out the little lemonade shack on Taylor street.

BTW, no ketchup on your hotdog, don't ask for it, either! Vienna Beef is the only hotdog worth eating.

Yes, I am extremely biased!

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
        For great food and a great place for tourists try Harry Carry's. I was surprised the first time I ate there.
        I love their Arnold Palmer... half lemonade/half iced tea.. good stuff.

Comment

Food:

Mexican - Nuevo Leon on 18th St near Ashland, Lalo's (There are a few of them) Most have a dance floor that opens up around 10pm or so.

Italian - There's a place called Tufano's near Taylor St (Vernon Park and Racine) with decent Italian Food.

Night Life:

Rush Street - However, I am not sure if they will let your sis in since she's not 21. A ton of Bars.

If you are staying in downtown, there are a ton of bars and restaurants.

Touristy Spots:
          Navy Pier, Sears Tower, Michigan Avenue, Wrigley Field (but if you guys are real baseball fans; U.S. Cellular)
          Last edited by mbau13; 07-20-2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Dont forget the Bean/Millenium park! There's also Lincoln park zoo, the art, science, and field museums, the planitarium, aquarium, and grant park.

Comment

Navy Pier is having fireworks on Saturdays. Last weekend is Labor Day weekend so if your in town by saturday night, check out the fireworks

http://www.navypier.com/things2do/fireworks.html

Comment

Originally posted by mbau13 View Post
                Food:

Mexican - Nuevo Leon on 18th St near Ashland, Lalo's (There are a few of them) Most have a dance floor that opens up around 10pm or so.

Italian - There's a place called Tufano's near Taylor St (Vernon Park and Racine) with decent Italian Food.

Night Life:

Rush Street - However, I am not sure if they will let your sis in since she's not 21. A ton of Bars.

If you are staying in downtown, there are a ton of bars and restaurants.

Touristy Spots:
                Navy Pier, Sears Tower, Michigan Avenue, Wrigley Field (but if you guys are real baseball fans; U.S. Cellular)
                yeah, cause real baseball fans love the cell....what a dump...triple A ball in a giant stadium

Comment

I've lived in this City for what seems like forever. Here's my list:

1. JOHNNIE'S in Elmwood Park for Italian Beef. Portillo's is good, too, but nothing quite compares to JOHNNIE'S. Why ? Because JOHNNIE'S beef is made over charcoal, which is what distinguishes it from every other beef stand in Chicago. Get it extra juicy with sweet peppers. Get the Italian ice, too.

2. LOU MALNATI'S for Deep Dish Pizza. Ike Sewell started deep dish pizza at Pizzeria UNO's in 1943, but Rudy Malnati ( Lou's Father ) developed the recipe for UNO's. UNO's still makes a great deep dish pizza, but the MALNATI's do it the best because they developed the recipe. Order a deep dish pizza with sausage- NOT pepperoni. Pepperoni maybe the most popular topping everywhere else in America, but this is Chicago- And while you're in Chicago, order your pizza with sausage. Similarly, order the deep dish with the buttercrust for the extra .75 cents. The buttercrust is what separates Lou Malnati's from Gino's East and Giordano's, etc.

3. VITO and NICK'S for Chicago style thin crust pizza cut into squares. Vito and Nick's is at 84th and Pulaski- SOUTH SIDE. Yes, Chicago is every bit as famous for its' thin crust pizza, too. It just doesn't get as much attention as the deep dish. Our thin crust pizza here in Chicago is thinner and crispier than most other parts of the country- and it's cut into squares, too. Again, order it with sausage.

4. ZACA TACO for the best char grilled tacos in Chicago. 71st and PULASKI- SOUTH SIDE.

5. GENE and JUDE's in River Grove for Chicago Style Hot Dogs. This place is a hot dog institution and for good reason. It's in the Vienna Beef Hall of Fame. NO KETCHUP !!!

6. FREDDIE'S at 31st and UNION- SOUTH SIDE- for ITALIAN ICE. Get the lemon ice.

Finally, catch a CUBS game if you can. There's NOTHING like Wrigley Field. It maybe old, but it truly is an experience in and of itself.

Be Safe and Enjoy Our City,

cpd007

Comment

Thank ya'll so much for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming. I noticed a lot people mentioned pizza places, what about other nice restaurants. Are there any local places to visit or good non touristy things. I like to go places off the beaten path as far as vacations go. One of you mentioned the park and I looked and it said there a bicycle rentals. Can anybody tell me if it would be easy to get around and find places to leave a bike in the city? Also we like to do a lot of outdoor things are there any other good outdoor spots. Agains thanks everybody. Also I should be come in Friday night around 9 if the academy finishes on time. I was thinking we might could go to a comedy place. Are there any good ones?

Comment

Here are 2 sites that are pretty good to help you outr as far as stuff to do other then eating.

http://www.choosechicago.com/

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/things-to-do.htm

As for places to eat, listen to the locals, ask people when you get here too. Ive lived in chicago my entire life and have been to 100's of resturaunts, so i could name a TON, but its all on what you like.

Oh and CPD007, THANK YOU for mentioning Freddies, I grew up down the street from them, my dad is friends with the owner and im STILL in love with their ice. I get it at least 9-11 times a summer.

If you want a chicago dog then Gene and Judes is great, Super Dog is ok (they dont use beef dogs though), but my all time favorite is a little known place on Kedzie and 104th called Pops (In Mt. Greenwood, Dist. 0022). Their Italian Beef and dogs are to DIE FOR.

If you are on the north side (around wriggley) and you want a slice of pie real late at night, there is a place off of Sheffield and Clark Street that is awsome,. They are open till about 6 am.

Comment

For comedy you have to go to the famous Second City. There's also IOTheater, To much light makes the baby go blind, and Zannies. You can google them. The are several parks in chicago, I suggest the lakefront if you're new to Chicago. I'm sure the bike rental place will give you a map. Chicago is easy to get around. You can also hop on a train and go to the Botanical Garden or Ravinia outdoor symphony. Notice that the Southsiders only know about pizza and hotdogs? If you want culture talk to a Northsider.

Comment

How about Polish sausage?

Ever see Blues Brothers? Remember that scene where they went down to Maxwell Street to find Matt "Guitar" Murphy and the part where they showed the sausage and burgers being grilled with the onions?

Go down to the Original Maxwell Street Polish Sausage on Maxwell St. (just south of Roosevelt) just east of Halsted and you can experience that for yourself. Nothing like a Polish with onions and mustard.

Or go up north on Halsted a little bit to the corner of Halsted and Jackson for some of the best Gyro's at Mr. Greek.

Comment

Maybe it'd be best if I didn't get on CPD since I'd probably end up eating my whole shift!

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                              Maybe it'd be best if I didn't get on CPD since I'd probably end up eating my whole shift!
                              Not if you get assigned to 011 !

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6558 users online. 279 members and 6279 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X