Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.C.S.D
    replied
    Yeah, Illinois seems to be one of the MANY states that needs to start taking their corrections divisions as serious law enforcement entities. NY, NJ, CA and FL are awsome with their CO's, be it county or state. Besides Cook no county in illinois sends their CO's through extensive basic training like those states.

Illinois BCO is 240 hours, 40 of which are for Mandatory fire arms training. Its a joke in my opinion, not NEARLY enough training. Some counties try to make up for it a little, but they are far and few in between. We are just knuckle dragging key turns to them.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    my agency is accredidated basic corrections academy, like 585 hrs now i think, they run ya thru the ringer, just about the same exact academy
    the police go thru.. missing...law-3, driving, domestic violence, traffic, and
    other add on items.

Leave a comment:

• towanda
    replied
    I passed the psych test portion and am now awaiting the results of my medical, which is the final step. Assuming I get hired and make it to the academy, what do people wear once they are at the academy? Dress clothes?? Uniform?? Business casual??

Thanks....

Leave a comment:

• M.C.S.D
    replied
    Originally posted by towanda View Post
    Is there any emphasis on PT in the academy in DuPage? Assuming I get in this round of hiring, I'd either be going to DuPage or Peoria or Sangamon.
    That’s a negative to all of them.

I went through PTI BCO in Dupage and worked with a few officers who went through both Sangamon and Peoria, and all of them for the most part have no emphasis on PT. The ONLY correctional academy that I know of that really has any REAL PT is Cook County. They have the most extensive CO academy in the state.

And as far as it being the same throughout the state, eehhhh, not completely. There are things you will do in different counties that you might not do or get in another.

Leave a comment:

• angelasdad
    replied
    I'm pretty sure the pti BCO course is pretty much the same throughout the state.......I'd just sit back and relax,wait and see what happens. More than likely you will be on the job for some time before you even get to the academy, so you still have some time to go yet.......

Keep yourself in good shape for yourself,and get ready to take notes and do some studying for the state test........

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by angelasdad; 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• towanda
    replied
    Is there any emphasis on PT in the academy in DuPage? Assuming I get in this round of hiring, I'd either be going to DuPage or Peoria or Sangamon.

Leave a comment:

• angelasdad
    replied
    no pt in the sangamon class.However they do get you access to the gym a mile or so away....... Why have recruits come in and do 5 weeks of pt if they aren't going to continue it before and after the academy. Make it important to you,hit the gym when you can and make a commitment to yourself to stay in decent shape for your career. What kind of shape you're in isn't going to help you pass the state test.

Stay in shape for yourself,and to stay on top of your game in your job.

my .02

Leave a comment:

• towanda
    replied
    I was going to apply to CCDOC, but it's a 2 hour drive one way. No can do. I'm not necessarily "bent" on doing hard core PT, but I do feel that being in decent shape is an important part of the training process (and ongoing fitness) for corrections. I just wondered what the PT phase of trainig was like and was very surprised that there is very little or no PT focus in the academy.

Leave a comment:

• Mackey
    replied
    Ya know, if you are really bent on doing PT in a corrections academy, come up to Cook County. Our academy is 12 weeks, but we get to do PT almost every day, and the days we don't, we more than make up for later. As far as Foirearms, we don't do any regulated PT - and compared to the rest of the time, holding a weapon was nothing. The only problems were the following week, because we hadn't done anything for a while, so they 'showed' us what we were missing.
    Think about it, we could always use an extra 'willing' participant.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by towanda View Post
    What's the PPCT?
    Pressure Point Control Tactics: Subject control and handcuffing.

http://www.ppctresearch.com/

Leave a comment:

• towanda
    replied
    What's the PPCT?

Leave a comment:

• M.C.S.D
    replied
    Depending on what County you will be with you will go to whatever academy they like to use, and what ever is available.

I went to PTI for BCO through Dupage 2 years ago, and i used to work for McHenry County as a CO. There is VERY LITTLE if ANY PT time. The most PT we got was during PPCT and Firearms, and even that was some what of a joke. Apparently the state thinks that CO's dont have to be in any kind of shape to do the job. There was an entrance test to get hired, but that varies by county, and will be the only "PT" exam you will be required to take in order to graduate.

Now Cook County's academy? Thats a whole other ball game. I wish we could have went through them.

Leave a comment:

• BigRuckuss
    replied
    I know some folks that have gone through the PTI academy @ DuPage...they told me there is no PT whatsoever. Just have do pass the "IDOC" PT test prior to entry...

Leave a comment:

• towanda
    replied
    So, which is it....PT or no (very little) PT for corrections officer academy? Maybe I should mention that I'm not going to the academy for Cook County. Not sure if that makes any difference or not. I'm inclined to listen to those who have already been in the academy, especially recently. I'm able to meet the entry requirements for PT with no problem. I'm just curious about how much PT there is and what other's experience has been.

Leave a comment:

• bullet
    replied
    Yeah there is PT in the academy I will hopefully be joining. You actually have to take a PT test to get in and then the numbers increase. If it's 35 pushups in minute it goes up to like 45-50. Something like that.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4881 users online. 194 members and 4687 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X