300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rolt View Post
    You can't beat our health insurance, not in the private sector.. not anywhere I know of. It is unreal.

The city sure doesn't beat it that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
      The city sure doesn't beat it that's for sure!
      And after all is said and done.. the paychecks taken home between a CCSO office and a CPD officer is not that much of different when some time is on the job.

$8 a pay period for Blue Cross/Blue Shield family health insurance (your choice of PPO or HMO) .. $3 copay for all doctor visits, $5 for all prescriptions, $0 for emergency room visits.

Comment

And after all is said and done.. the paychecks taken home between a CCSO office and a CPD officer is not that much of different when some time is on the job.

$8 a pay period for Blue Cross/Blue Shield family health insurance (your choice of PPO or HMO) .. $3 copay for all doctor visits, $5 for all prescriptions, $0 for emergency room visits.
        Nope, can't say I agree with you there. CPD take home pay is much better!

I make as much as a CCSPD Sergeant with my time on the job. The pay is better but the county's helath insurance is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
          Nope, can't say I agree with you there. CPD take home pay is much better!

I make as much as a CCSPD Sergeant with my time on the job. The pay is better but the county's helath insurance is much better.
          I qualified my statement with "after some time on the job" for CCSD people. Between what you guys have to pay for health insurance, your pension, etc.. the difference is not that much. Of course if you have a lot of time on the job with CPD, the difference is like you said, agreed.

CPD does have a faster step increase for their officers after their 18 month proby time. But we suspect that the CCSO will end up raising their pay a lot more than usual the next time around - I have never seen so many non-minority and juice babies coming into the corrections portion of the department. Never. You used to be able to count the Anglo officers with your hand in that area.. and now it is unreal to see their numbers rising every year.

That will result in the department paying better and changing some things which other counties already do for their deputies.

Comment

Rolt, I'll be nice and not burst your bubble my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Himso View Post
              Rolt, I'll be nice and not burst your bubble my friend.
              My family has five CPD officers. And my Lt.'s wife is a CPD officer as well. The difference between, let's say, a 6 year CCSO officer and a 6 year CPD officer's checks are not that much. Does CPD make more? Yes.

I did concede that a CPD officer/SGT, etc.. that has more than 6 years on the job does make more, yes.

But this is going way beyond what the thread topic is.
              Last edited by rolt; 07-10-2007, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Back on the thread topic...

Just spoke with one of the trainers from the academy.. the next class is starting Monday, July 23rd.

Comment

CPD does have a faster step increase for their officers after their 18 month proby time. But we suspect that the CCSO will end up raising their pay a lot more than usual the next time around - I have never seen so many non-minority and juice babies coming into the corrections portion of the department. Never. You used to be able to count the Anglo officers with your hand in that area.. and now it is unreal to see their numbers rising every year.

That will result in the department paying better and changing some things which other counties already do for their deputies.

The Cook County Sheriff's Department will not have a large salary increase in the future. We are already among the top paid in the nation. We just received the worst contract I have seen since being with the department. The contract before this last was almost as bad. The retro? a joke. It gets worse every year. We do make a decent salary I do admit but I fail to see why you would think the department would increase salaries more than usual the next time around.

The Cook County Sheriff's DOC has always been full of Juice babies most of which were and remain the majority, White male. The department has always had a majority of white male Officers. Rolt, I am not trying to bust you out but I have been doing this awhile and while I am glad you are optimistic about your time with CCDOC and I hope you remain that way, expect the worst, because when it happens there, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Back on the thread topic...

Just spoke with one of the trainers from the academy.. the next class is starting Monday, July 23rd.

Thanks for the info Rolt!

Comment

i was told by the person who interviewed me the starting sal is 42,790

Comment

also the interview was not as friendly as my friend said it woulod be. she asked me why i would make a good c.o in the beginning and at the end. she asked me if i was physically fit(which i am) can i pass the physical portion of the academy. do i have a foid card. would i be able to qualify with my duty weapon?why do i want to work for the sheriffs dept? stuff like that. she said the next step would be a call for orientation

Comment

anyone doing the habitat for humanity the 19th for the sheriffs dept

Comment

Himso - I know I haven't been on as long as you. But my comment stems from speaking with people in our department that have 15 + years there. And they are the first to quickly say how never in the 70'/80's/90's did you have as many white officers IN corrections as you do now.

They especially make the comment (improper or not) that all the good looking white/hispanic female officers were always sent to court services or other spots. But now it seems to be a lot more of them coming to corrections.

I guess they see this as a means for some changes to come to the corrections side of the department that went completely ignored for the last 30 years.

Who knows....

Comment

rolt how long is the orientationscheduled before the actual start date of the academy???

Comment

Himso - I know I haven't been on as long as you. But my comment stems from speaking with people in our department that have 15 + years there. And they are the first to quickly say how never in the 70'/80's/90's did you have as many white officers IN corrections as you do now.

They especially make the comment (improper or not) that all the good looking white/hispanic female officers were always sent to court services or other spots. But now it seems to be a lot more of them coming to corrections.

I guess they see this as a means for some changes to come to the corrections side of the department that went completely ignored for the last 30 years.

Who knows....
                                I was there over 15 years ago and will tell you, there were quite a few white male officers then as there are now. I did notice, however, that female Whites and Hispanics seemed to be underrepresented in the Corrections Department when compared with Court Services. There were always White males there though and that is not a new occurrence.

"Juice Babies" as you call them will always be there and I will tell you that they come in all colors, shades, and sexes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8100 users online. 383 members and 7717 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X