300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody watch "The Academy"?

Has anyone else watched that reality show called The Academy about the LASP? Its on the reality channel on cable....pretty good...pretty intense training although I'm sure they are hammig it up for the camera a bit. Huge class size. Their instructors are pretty much acting like Marine DI's. How does it compare to the CPD or other academies?

Cook County Sheriff's office does the same DI type thing throughout the academy. I figure that is pretty standard for most agencies.

Comment

i didn't know about this show. i just tivo'd it and i'm excited to watch it. thanks!

Comment

What network is this on?

Comment

Originally posted by rolt View Post
          What network is this on?
          Fox Reality

Comment

I've watched every episode so far, mor for entertainment value... The class is WEAK, both mentally and physically to say the least. It would appear they don't have their version of the POWER test to get in. Alot of the recruits are fat asses with weak minds. As a cop, and as one that went thru the Acad. very mentally tough and physically strong, I can't help but be embarrased by some of what I have seen. They are as soft as puppy crap and there are alot of them I have seen that I wouldn't want them to own a gun, must less be my BACK UP. The Acad Staff seems to be doing a good job and is tough on them and is making the weak ones drop, the point is, half of those weak ones should have never made it through the process!
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

I can't believe how out of shape some of those recruits are on that t.v. show. I guess there's no such thing as a POWER TEST before entering their academy. There's no way some of those recruits would ever be able to defend themselves in a fight out on the street.

Comment

I feel the same way...alot of those recruits don't have what it takes to be a deputy. I'm not sure if they are holding on to them because of the show or if LASD has lowered it's standards.

There were no recruits pushing 50 in my day either. There was an age limit.

This class is full of problems...lack of leadership, fat bodies, people who can't get their PT shorts on right, business socks for PT, PT socks for business attire, a guy who can't put his sam browne together before class, a woman who couldn't scale a chain link fence after 5 weeks in already...

And what is that "mission statement" they have to recite now? Talk about politically correct garbage.

We had our problems too...I guess... maybe it's easier to judge when it's not your class... I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Occultus View Post
                  I feel the same way...alot of those recruits don't have what it takes to be a deputy. I'm not sure if they are holding on to them because of the show or if LASD has lowered it's standards.

There were no recruits pushing 50 in my day either. There was an age limit.

This class is full of problems...lack of leadership, fat bodies, people who can't get their PT shorts on right, business socks for PT, PT socks for business attire, a guy who can't put his sam browne together before class, a woman who couldn't scale a chain link fence after 5 weeks in already...

And what is that "mission statement" they have to recite now? Talk about politically correct garbage.

We had our problems too...I guess... maybe it's easier to judge when it's not your class... I don't know.
                  Agreed. But I don't think there is any 'hamming it up' for TV, that is how Miley really is. Very fun loving, you know he's laughing his butt off the whole day long. The academy is very much like this.

FWIW

EDJ
                  LASD Class 27X, 1991.
                  "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                    Agreed. But I don't think there is any 'hamming it up' for TV, that is how Miley really is. Very fun loving, you know he's laughing his butt off the whole day long. The academy is very much like this.

FWIW

EDJ
                    LASD Class 27X, 1991.
                    What's the "x" in your class number? Maybe I've been gone too long or something...LOL Is that a reserve class? If you went the year after me and EMVamp...it would still be in the 260 range, wouldn't it?

Anyway...our ramrod was not "fun loving" at all...hehe He was kinda mean actually. DI Gerlitz was cool. I saw him on the Academy last episode..he's a Sgt. now I see and getting old...lol. Guess he's in charge at the firearms center. We trained at Wayside...not sure where the STARS center academy shoots...Biscailuz Center?

Comment

Originally posted by cpd007 View Post
                      I can't believe how out of shape some of those recruits are on that t.v. show. I guess there's no such thing as a POWER TEST before entering their academy. There's no way some of those recruits would ever be able to defend themselves in a fight out on the street.
                      That Turner had 0% upper body strength, I mean she couldnt even flip a fence...I know she lost 60 pounds, it must have been all her muscle..she was former Army too....let this be a leason to anyone training right now who may be a bit heavy, eat right, but don't stop lifting weights and crash diet, that weight you are losing is your mostly your muscle....eat a lot of protein, do your cardio, and lift lighter weights with a lot of reps, you'll build lean muscle and lose weight and still have the ability to jump a fence.....

Comment

Hey 0311Grunt, Thanks for the tip about "The Academy". Watching it was just the motivation I needed to kick up the workouts while the waiting game continues....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4684 users online. 242 members and 4442 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X