300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER Test

Haven't taken a test in a few months as I've had a lot going on in my life. I went to run yesterday and have lost a few steps. I'm having a little trouble getting back into the running and the benching. I'm probably 2-5 minutes over the time needed for the run. I'm looking to take a test within the next 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions as to how I can shave those minutes off my run?

Originally posted by notacopyet1 View Post
    Haven't taken a test in a few months as I've had a lot going on in my life. I went to run yesterday and have lost a few steps. I'm having a little trouble getting back into the running and the benching. I'm probably 2-5 minutes over the time needed for the run. I'm looking to take a test within the next 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions as to how I can shave those minutes off my run?
    What's been slowing you down? Is it the lungs where you just can't breath right, or is your legs/feet aching?...Stretching, breathing and hydrating are the keys to running, breathing being the most important...there are diffeent breathing methods, in thru the nose, out thru the mouth, deep in deep out, use what is best for you, but it is important to control your breathing and maintain it.
    A wise investment is one of those speed watches you can get at most sporting good stores, the ones that show how fast you are going. I'm in my 30's, so I need to do it at 14:31...I know from the treadmil if I run at a steady pace of 6.4 MPH that will get me in with 20 seconds to spare.
    ALso get good shoes!! I had real good success with New Balance. You want to get the light weight shoes that are shock absorbant.
    Everyone has a different style to run, find what groove works best for you and stick with it. Good Luck

Comment

Its a little of both. I'm running out of breath quicker than normal and my legs are tiring pretty fast. I know it'll come back after doing it for a bit, I'm just in a hurry to get back to a passing time.

Comment

Definately run everyday before the power test. You'll be suprised how quickly you body will adjust. I would suggest though that you run outside rather than on a treadmill.

Comment

Not to sound like an *** or anything but 2-5 minutes is a lot of ground to make up. Take this as seriously as you can and work on those times. Once you get into the academy....the power tests don't stop so start somethin to build onto.

Comment

I agree with Grunt on his points because that's what I did. You'd be surprised by how much a pair of proper running shoes would make a difference.

Your body will adjust quickly. I wasn't running very well but my body adjusts quick and I had my 1.5 mile down to 11:45 by 2 weeks of running.

Stay determined, go out there and run like Forrest Gump.

Comment

What model of shoes are you talking about Grunt?

Comment

Here's a schedule I will swear by. If you don't make time I will never log onto this forum again. So let us know if you make time and do this schedule. Assuming you have a solid three weeks from today 6/14:

Friday 6/15: 1 mile interval sprint/jog*
                Saturday 16th: 1 mile interval sprint/jog*
                Sunday 17th: Rest
                Monday: 1.5 mile timed
                Wednesday: 2 mile timed
                Friday: 1 mile interval sprint/jog*
                Saturday 1.5 mile timed
                Monday 25th: 2 mile timed
                Wednesday: 2 mile timed
                Friday: 1 mile interval
                Saturday: 1.5 mile timed

Interval runs= pick a sprinting distance of 10 seconds (if you are on the track make it about 100 meters, if you are on the street use the distance from 1 light post past the second to the third) and sprint 100% then jog at about 40-50%. Do this sprint/jog routine for a mile. Your "100%" speed the first time will be a lot faster than your your last sprint. This will do a few very important things for you: 1) It will build your quick fire muscles and will help with the longer endurance runs, 2) It will strengthen up your lungs, 3) It will help knock off a few extra pounds and 4) It will build up your confidence to hang in their for the 1.5 mile. The 2 mile run, or 1.75 mile run will help you with the shorter 1.5 mile run.

I'm 30 and doing 2 mile intervals, 5 mile runs. They both kind of suck (energy wise, time is good) and my 1.5 miles feel like a vacation.

Like Underoath said, take this seriously, you shouldn't be sweating your time if you have the Power Test so soon. This routine will kick the crap out of you for a few days. Tough it out and you should make time...hell my log in is riding on it.

Also, lift weights/do calisthentics so you can pass the bench press. Do sit ups and STRETCH. You can't stretch enough. Stretch everyday. Also, cut out alcohol for the next three weeks and pretty much all the junk food.

That last Saturday you should be fine on your time.

Comment

Man I use to run a 15:20 1.5 mile run when I first started training back in 2005. First thing I did was to buy a good pair of running shoes. I bought a pair of nikes airs. These things were as light as a feather with some nice cushion. Felt like I was running on air. Next thing I did to train for long distance was running on a treadmill. But the way I train was on an incline. I set the treadmill at 8.0 incline, with a speed at 3.8. I walked for an hour at this pace. For me this was slow torture. It really built up my leg strength and endurance. I did this 5 days a week along with stairmaster 30 minutes after the treadmill. I did this for 2 months. After building up alot of strength in my legs and endurance, I started running outside with a stopwatch around my neighborhood. I measured out 1.5 miles on my odometer from my car. I improved from a 15:20 to a 13:09 in two months which was exciting for me. Then I decided to start start running on the treadmill and skip the uphill walking. I started running a 6.2 MPH for 25 minutes on the treadmill. Then after a period of time I am finally up to 8.3 for 16 minutes which isn't half bad for a 210 pound guy. My run time on a 1500 meter track 1.5 mile is 11:28 which is a time I am really proud of after starting at 15:20.

Just keep at it, breath in and out when you run. Don't give up, just remember you are running for a job. Keep up with you flexibility too. The only streching I do before I run in touching my toes and stretching my hammies on one knee. The more loose your legs are the better the run time will be. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tecumseh View Post
                    What model of shoes are you talking about Grunt?
                    I just got a new pair about 6 weeks ago...I'm sorry I don't recall the brand, I actually never heard of them before, but they werent cheap, over 100...but they were light as a feather and the guy at the store said they were the best shock absorbant shoes out there...I was having problems with shin splints, I havent had any pain since I started running with these....In these summer months, make sure you are running early in the AM or after sunset, running when the sun as at its peak is just a receipe for disaster....do a lot of sprints....REST....and do weight training on your legs a couple days a week.....when I was in the USMC I used to think running, the stairmaster, ect were enough to build up strengh in my legs, but after advice from a friend I started doing leg weight training and my run time improved considerably.

Comment

Shoes

I have a pair of Mizuno running shoes that I like very much. I am a sidewalk runner, so I need good shoes to protect my knees. Also, if you're looking for a good place to buy shoes, try Fleet Feet Sports. They will do a very thorough fitting and actually watch you run in several pairs of shoes before recommending a brand and style.

Comment

Originally posted by E^2 View Post
                        I have a pair of Mizuno running shoes that I like very much. I am a sidewalk runner, so I need good shoes to protect my knees. Also, if you're looking for a good place to buy shoes, try Fleet Feet Sports. They will do a very thorough fitting and actually watch you run in several pairs of shoes before recommending a brand and style.
                        Mizuno!! Thats what I have! Thanks, it was bothering me!

Comment

New Balance also makes nice running shoes that are reasonably priced and available at a number of retail stores.

Comment

Unless you have fallen arches or shin splints I wouldn't go out and by a really expensive pair of running shoes. Their not going to take the place of training. As mentioned above, New Balance makes good running shoes at a reasonable price as does Nike. If you do have pain in your legs or feet when running then check out Fleet Feet. They will set you up with a pair of shoes that will help.

Comment

When you do the power test entering the academy, how does that work?
                              What I mean is, since the academy runs four sessions per year, if they have you run outside for the test, how is it equal for those who have to run in 90 degrees versus like 60 in the spring or fall sessions? I think the best thing to do is have everyone take the test inside so it's all equal, and then they can train you outside if they want. Is this what they do?

(I dont mind running outside for training, but I don't wanna fail that test because it's 90+ degrees outside in july!!! I pass it easily indoors but outside when I run the sidewalks up and down hill in hot weather I come real close to not passing...and that scares me!!! )

PS- I'll be going to SLEA at COD, if that matters...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5050 users online. 335 members and 4715 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X