Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be honest: Is it still worth it to pursue CPD?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee_tea
    commented on 's reply
    I couldn’t agree with you more! For those looking into being Part of the CPD think about it long and hard. Let’s just put it this way. Do you enjoy your freedom now? Are you happy in the position you are now? Money isn’t everything, heck a pension is nice but how far are you willing to go with getting a pension? For me It was hard to give up family time. Just think about it

• 508NAVY
    replied
    I've been trying for a while now and they only recently found my file after calling them and they said it was held up for a BS reason... My aspiration is to work for CPD for like 2-3 years then lateral elsewhere because trying to get a suburbs job is a pain and expensive. They require you to pay for a $50 POWER test, $45 application fee, waste multiple weekends applying.. It's almost not worth it to start in the burbs because it's to expensive to apply for a department that is only hiring 1 and there are 120 applicants.. ————————

Your attitude already sucks. I spent HUNDREDS if not over a THOUSAND taking tests like Joliet, will county, Wilmington, Lockport, Darien, monee, state police,braidwood, Grundy county, Riverdale, Lyons, richton park, other places I can’t name right now, double booking departments and deciding which test on what Saturday morning to go to. Taking days off of work to go to mandatory orientation on weeknights. If you want this career, you’ll put in the effort. I was like you, not thrilled about the “hiring 1 and there are 200 applicants.” Guess what? I got hired at an agency like that. You know why? I bought the online study guides, I smoked the test, then practiced in front of friends who were cops and a mirror and family for an oral interview. Better yet, I’m not even from IL, I’m from the Boston suburbs, my wife is from Chicago, we met when I was in the military. I went about testing like I need to kick *** because I’m up against people who are from here who know the area and everything about the land.

“Waste multiple weekends.”

do yourself a favor, rethink if you want this career before you get hired and complain that you had no idea you probably won’t be on days with weekends off. Too many of your kind walk into tests and ask stupid questions like that, and people take note of who said that. if you truly want this career, you’ll put the effort thats NEEDED into this. And as far as suburbs go? Go look at how many suburbs are hiring because of this you know HOUSE BILL. another thing, saying that you only want to work somewhere for 2-3 years before bouncing elsewhere is ludicrous. Probation is anywhere from 18/36 months for rookies, and sometimes 12-18 for laterals. If I was a chief, and I found out you’d look to leave us after 24-36 months, I wouldn’t consider you. Sure, people know it’s inevitable we leave. I’ve lateraled twice and I’m at my dream department, but I sure put in the time and effort beforehand. But for me to send you to training, for you to leave a few short years later? NO THANKS. Next candidate.if you’re not willing to pay 50 for the power test, and 45-50 per application, you don’t want this at all. Wait until you apply to agencies that make you go to a certain place like NIPSTA vs triton college. And I’ve had that experience. Got a NIPSTA card, but had to go to JJC for one department, then triton for another. Why? BECAUSE I CARED enough to make the SACRIFICES and rolled with the punches. Pick up OT shifts at your job, get a second job to afford it, or just don’t apply. Other hungrier kids and mature adults (I started at 30 years old), are willing to make the necessary sacrifices for this career.
    Last edited by 508NAVY; 08-10-2021, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bluesent
    commented on 's reply
    I've been trying for a while now and they only recently found my file after calling them and they said it was held up for a BS reason... My aspiration is to work for CPD for like 2-3 years then lateral elsewhere because trying to get a suburbs job is a pain and expensive. They require you to pay for a $50 POWER test, $45 application fee, waste multiple weekends applying.. It's almost not worth it to start in the burbs because it's to expensive to apply for a department that is only hiring 1 and there are 120 applicants..

• southpaw1
    replied
    I was at the balloon release last night. Just tragic. Rest in peace Officer Ella French EOW 07 AUG 21:

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Police/s...46593061556243

Leave a comment:

• mwolf78
    replied
    Reports of police officers shot at for those on the job tonight double check everything and continue to be safe

Leave a comment:

• CPDJunior
    commented on 's reply
    This is such a great read! It sucks that police officers don't get the support from anyone including the higher ups. I am currently just waiting for my NTR for Chicago Police and I am excited yet confused.

• Aidokea
    replied
    Cops "are disgusted with the spectrum of every profound decision made under stress being parsed and analyzed to death," a police source said. "And, yes, there is talk of standing back instead of risking their family’s future on an honest mistake of a moment."

Leave a comment:

• Winter_Patriot
    commented on 's reply
    I’m federal. You’re insulated from some of the local political drama but it’s not perfect here either. Fed agencies have a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork. You may have more fun as a local cop.

• Chiguy27
    commented on 's reply
    Very smart of you to label all Chicagoland PDs as “trash”. You seem well versed in the LE field…..

• 508NAVY
    replied
    Look at the blue line.com and see many suburbs are hiring. If it turns out you don’t like this career or the agency, you can always leave.

I would avoid having to go through a process that takes 2 years just to be in a lottery drawing. I was In the METRO Academy a few years back with many of my classmates being in the lottery draw. All of them scored in the top 1% of their departments testing, some fluent in a second language with degrees….yet at that time, they were only at the background phase for Chicago.
    Last edited by 508NAVY; 07-22-2021, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Nothing is going to get better under Mayor Beetlejuice...

Leave a comment:

• Fatal
    replied
    I wouldn't exactly discourage him. It took me 3 attempts to get into shape and was able to go even further in fitness requirements. Anyhow, I ended up with Chicago PD for 3 years. I recently left in April 2021, and lateraled to another department in the suburbs.

Physical fitness is achievable by anyone with willpower and time.... even with bad genetics. The power test is easily achievable as long as you aren't injured or have pre-existing injuries. I have to work out consistently to maintain my fitness. The hardest part for me was the running, and I could easily do a 10-11 minute 1.5mile if I trained for it properly.

On the other hand, I'd suggest going into a federal government agency though. However, I would not recommend going to Chicago PD unless you want the training to go somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Fatal
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't exactly discourage him. It took me 3 attempts to get into shape and was able to go even further in fitness requirements. Anyhow, I ended up with Chicago PD for 3 years. I recently left in April 2021, and lateraled to another department in the suburbs.

Physical fitness is achievable by anyone with willpower and time.... even with bad genetics. The power test is easily achievable as long as you aren't injured or have pre-existing injuries. I have to work out consistently to maintain my fitness. The hardest part for me was the running, and I could easily do a 10-11 minute 1.5mile if I trained for it properly.

On the other hand, I'd suggest going into a federal government agency though. However, I would not recommend going to Chicago PD unless you want the training to go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Fatal; 07-22-2021, 12:05 AM.

• Outsider11
    replied
    If you can’t pass a POWER test for CPD, I would not apply to any federal agency. And stay out of any department for Chicago or Chicagoland... they are all trash.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    57 shot in Chicago over the weekend. That still sounds like a lot of typing...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2689 users online. 149 members and 2540 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X