Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be honest: Is it still worth it to pursue CPD?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    They need to take care of the people that they still have! I know people saying they might do a few more years and leave this career field altogether. Think about that for a sec...POs with 5-7 years on want to move far away and leave the field. That's sad. I'll be out there shortly for my cancelled days off extended tour. I pray that we all make it home safely. Have a safe Independence Day! Take care.

    Comment


    • #17
      https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/88...ly-4th-weekend

      2 POs shot thankfully they're going to be alright and this doesn't include 34 people on Thursday. Complete ****show!

      Comment


      • #18
        Over 90 people shot in Chicago this last weekend. Wow, that sounds like an awful lot of typing...

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm third generation, and I left to go to a suburban department. It's honestly the worst timing in history to be the police let alone in a democratic major city right now. Almost every department is hurting for recruits... it's ideal timing for lateraling out. However, if you can get your degree go feds. They aren't under the microscope like city, local, and state police.
          Last edited by Fatal; 07-08-2021, 11:24 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I went through all of them.

            I am not the type to doubt myself but I'm gonna go ahead and say that if feds were to pick someone from their hiring pool, it would probably be someone who went to a prestigious university instead of some kid who attended a state college (UIC) as well as someone who scores very high on the physical test.

            I'm going to follow my heart and join the CPD process again and see where that will take me. I will be interviewing for companies to work for in the mean time so I'm not sitting around doing nothing. My heart will always be with the city and CPD. If CPD won't take me then that will be the end of my journey with law enforcement.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by AspiringChicagoCop View Post
              Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I went through all of them.

              I am not the type to doubt myself but I'm gonna go ahead and say that if feds were to pick someone from their hiring pool, it would probably be someone who went to a prestigious university instead of some kid who attended a state college (UIC) as well as someone who scores very high on the physical test.

              I'm going to follow my heart and join the CPD process again and see where that will take me. I will be interviewing for companies to work for in the mean time so I'm not sitting around doing nothing. My heart will always be with the city and CPD. If CPD won't take me then that will be the end of my journey with law enforcement.
              Lol, why even ask the question, if you're not going to listen to the wisdom and experience that you are being bestowed with? Were you just hoping for someone to blow smoke up your skirt? 'Cause that's not us...

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

                Lol, why even ask the question, if you're not going to listen to the wisdom and experience that you are being bestowed with? Were you just hoping for someone to blow smoke up your skirt? 'Cause that's not us...
                Oh you didn’t get the memo our job is to change his mind? Retirees….
                "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

                Comment


                • Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol.......

              • #23
                Yeah not gonna lie, I was hoping you guys would change my mind. I guess I don't want to face the truth because it went against everything that I wanted. It's just a really hard pill to swallow. I wanted to be a cop so bad and it stings to let that dream go.
                Last edited by AspiringChicagoCop; 07-09-2021, 06:05 AM.

                Comment


                • #24
                  Honestly if you want to do it just apply and see how it goes, but the future is not looking good for CPD officers. We are extremely short staffed and people are retiring and transferring out in huge numbers. Just to give you an idea, when I first got to my district 2 years ago, each night we would have all the beat cars working 10-4 (2 POs), 2 wagons, 2-3 rapid cars, 2 plain clothes cars. That's almost 20 cars (40 officers) working per shift. Now on the weekends, which are extremely busy, we are downing multiple beat cars, some beat cars are 99 (1 PO), only have one wagon, no rapid cars, and no plain clothes cars. That means there's some nights where we have only 7-8 cars out and only 12-20 officers out on the street. On top of that the city will throw you under the bus if you make any type or mistake. There's no more proactive police work. We've been out of a contract for 4 years. All your holidays will be canceled. With everything that I described to you, it will only get worse. Like others have said, the only thing that I'm doing is backing up other cops on their jobs and answering my own calls.

                  Comment


                  • southpaw1
                    southpaw1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same. Sounds exactly like my district. Not uncommon sadly. Bare bones as far as supervisors too. Be safe bro!

                • #25
                  Originally posted by AspiringChicagoCop View Post
                  Yeah not gonna lie, I was hoping you guys would change my mind. I guess I don't want to face the truth because it went against everything that I wanted. It's just a really hard pill to swallow. I wanted to be a cop so bad and it stings to let that dream go.
                  As Mr. 6.4 inferred above in post #22, it is not our job to change your mind- we have laid it all out for you, and knowing what you now know, for you to disregard what we're telling you calls into question your judgement.

                  And people with poor judgement are almost never hired to be police officers...

                  Comment


                  • #26
                    Originally posted by DanielHK View Post
                    ...the future is not looking good for CPD officers. We are extremely short staffed and people are retiring and transferring out in huge numbers. Just to give you an idea, when I first got to my district 2 years ago, each night we would have all the beat cars working 10-4 (2 POs), 2 wagons, 2-3 rapid cars, 2 plain clothes cars. That's almost 20 cars (40 officers) working per shift. Now on the weekends, which are extremely busy, we are downing multiple beat cars, some beat cars are 99 (1 PO), only have one wagon, no rapid cars, and no plain clothes cars. That means there's some nights where we have only 7-8 cars out and only 12-20 officers out on the street. On top of that the city will throw you under the bus if you make any type or mistake. There's no more proactive police work. We've been out of a contract for 4 years. All your holidays will be canceled. With everything that I described to you, it will only get worse. Like others have said, the only thing that I'm doing is backing up other cops on their jobs and answering my own calls.
                    No kidding.

                    I worked in a district where our union contract said that we didn't go out with less than 11 (plus supervisors). One night, only two of us showed up for work, and they had to order almost the entire previous watch to hold over.

                    And look what this does to professional development- I worked long and hard to get good at what I do. In years past, senior officers mentored junior officers, and the skill sets got passed along.

                    I worked with a young guy that wanted to go into vice, so he and I used to go out every night and do one self-initiated dope case every night. I would do a traffic stop, he would cover me, and learn how to do dope cases by watching me. He'd keep an eye on my beat while I ran my arrestee in for processing, and then we'd sit down and do our reports together until getting off at sunrise. The next night, we'd swap roles, and I'd let him do one. We did this every night for quite a while, and he got pretty good at it and was able to get into vice.

                    I did the same with DUI cases, for young officers that wanted to get into traffic.

                    Nowadays? Eff that noise, I wouldn't do ANYTHING self-initiated. I'd rather eat crappy performance reviews, than roll the dice with my career and my freedom. Answer your radio, take your calls for service, cover your beat partners, and retire as soon as you're eligible...
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-09-2021, 11:43 AM.

                    Comment


                    • southpaw1
                      southpaw1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's sad as far as beat cars. Constantly in a backlog with calls for service. We're flying from job after job across the district and stuff constantly goes wrong so we respond to back up other officers.

                  • #27
                    A young PO tragically took his life today. That is not the answer guys. Things will get better eventually. Take care of yourselves first. Take time off, lateral out somewhere, leave the field altogether anything but that. Always available...just send a pm my way.

                    Comment


                    • Winter_Patriot
                      Winter_Patriot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very sad, RIP.

                    • Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That sucks.

                      And I too, am available by PM to any cop or honorably retired cop that needs to spread the load across more shoulders...

                    • southpaw1
                      southpaw1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Winter_Patriot and Aidokea Thanks.

                  • #28
                    Yeah, in addition to the concerns that we've articulated so far, any law enforcement applicant should understand that divorce, alcoholism, and suicide run rampant in this profession, and nobody knows going in, how many of those things will effect them before it's all over.

                    In my case, my career in law enforcement spanned 30 years, and I'm on my third marriage and am doing my best to out-live my liver, but I made it out without having problems with that other thing...

                    Comment


                    • #29
                      57 shot in Chicago over the weekend. That still sounds like a lot of typing...

                      Comment


                      • #30
                        If you can’t pass a POWER test for CPD, I would not apply to any federal agency. And stay out of any department for Chicago or Chicagoland... they are all trash.

                        Comment


                        • Fatal
                          Fatal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I wouldn't exactly discourage him. It took me 3 attempts to get into shape and was able to go even further in fitness requirements. Anyhow, I ended up with Chicago PD for 3 years. I recently left in April 2021, and lateraled to another department in the suburbs.

                          Physical fitness is achievable by anyone with willpower and time.... even with bad genetics. The power test is easily achievable as long as you aren't injured or have pre-existing injuries. I have to work out consistently to maintain my fitness. The hardest part for me was the running, and I could easily do a 10-11 minute 1.5mile if I trained for it properly.

                          On the other hand, I'd suggest going into a federal government agency though. However, I would not recommend going to Chicago PD unless you want the training to go somewhere else.
                          Last edited by Fatal; 07-22-2021, 12:05 AM.

                        • Chiguy27
                          Chiguy27 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Very smart of you to label all Chicagoland PDs as “trash”. You seem well versed in the LE field…..

                        • Winter_Patriot
                          Winter_Patriot commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’m federal. You’re insulated from some of the local political drama but it’s not perfect here either. Fed agencies have a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork. You may have more fun as a local cop.

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 3057 users online. 188 members and 2869 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X