Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be honest: Is it still worth it to pursue CPD?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be honest: Is it still worth it to pursue CPD?

25 y/o Male. I've been trying to get on the job since 2018. I've failed the POWER tests many times but I've been training harder and harder everytime I've failed. Since ~3 years has passed, I've since graduated and got my Bachelors in Software Dev. Personally, I think it would be my purpose in life to serve the community. I get more self-fulfillment out of it than sitting in a chair in an office working.

I'll get paid much more with my degree, but again, I won't be having fun like the guys out there serving everyday. I'm so conflicted. I feel like it's too late for me to join. All my friends whom I signed up for the test with for CPD have already been on the job for ~3 years. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Just find a job with my degree or continue to pursue CPD? Is it still worth it? Would 100% of the cops still have a job lets say 10, 15 years from now?

Try to go Fed. Your software degree can help with cyber investigations. Local law enforcement is not worth it in IL.

Comment

Originally posted by AspiringChicagoCop View Post
      25 y/o Male. I've been trying to get on the job since 2018. I've failed the POWER tests many times but I've been training harder and harder everytime I've failed. Since ~3 years has passed, I've since graduated and got my Bachelors in Software Dev. Personally, I think it would be my purpose in life to serve the community. I get more self-fulfillment out of it than sitting in a chair in an office working.

I'll get paid much more with my degree, but again, I won't be having fun like the guys out there serving everyday. I'm so conflicted. I feel like it's too late for me to join. All my friends whom I signed up for the test with for CPD have already been on the job for ~3 years. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Just find a job with my degree or continue to pursue CPD? Is it still worth it? Would 100% of the cops still have a job lets say 10, 15 years from now?
      You're pulling my peripheral protuberance...

Comment

Now is an excellent time to not be a cop, especially in large liberal-run cities...

Comment

I would never recommend people to apply there with how the city and state are being run now. There are plenty of other good departments that need people who still want to do the job.

Comment

So here is my two cents, I was born and raised up in the heavily Democratic suburbs of Boston, I was stationed in Hawaii for 8 years while in the military, and for the last 7 years I’ve lived in the Chicago suburbs where my wife is from, so I’ve lived in 3 extremely liberal states. Hawaii wasn’t so bad politically, because every military branch is on O’ahu.

I LOVE being a cop, absolutely love it, but the politics are turning this career into what the **** was I thinking choice. I was on ILEAS mobile field force at my last department and was out for last summers festivities. I honestly, wished I started the federal process 2 years before I got out of the military. Use your degree and go federal. I have a college degree, but still, I should’ve just pushed harder for federal law enforcement.

The idiocy of what we deal with in Illinois is absurd. We basically are reactive due to the laws that have been enacted. Even in will county or DuPage or Kane, you’re still dealing with the bull****. My friends back home said the police are screwed there too, from liberal politics.

apply to go federal. If you’re told they want local law enforcement experience, get on somewhere local in a Republican ran city/state, then go federal. Had I gone with the FEDS, my TSP from the military would’ve allowed me to transition that retirement portion to the federal agency with no penalty/tax burdens, I would’ve been able to transition my military years over with little trouble, and my degree/military experience and clearance would’ve help make me a viable candidate. If you do decide to roll federal, I highly recommend you look at the fitness tests. The DEA for example requires 12 points total to move on in their process, and their fitness test isn’t a walk in the ballpark. Every portion of their physical fitness exam requires at least 1 point. When you’re young snd in shape, it seems viable, but don’t forget how many other young in shape candidates are in the process too!
            Last edited by 508NAVY; 06-29-2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Going federal is no guarantee of safety.

Before you apply to somewhere like Chicago, you need to understand that almost all of the people above you in your chain of command, would throw you under the bus in the blink of an eye, to try to prevent liability from climbing the chain of command, and/or to try to appease ignorant angry racist cop-hating mobs threatening to torch and loot if they don't get your head on a platter.

And we're not just talking about you subjecting yourself to risk of disciplinary action up to and including termination, as punishment for you doing everything right, by every objective legal, moral, and ethical standard. We're talking about you being sent to prison for the rest of your life.

Under that kind of pressure, you could even be left hanging by your peers, who under duress might fold and point the finger at you to try to save their own skin.

I wouldn't just say no, I'd say eff no...

Comment

Stay far away from CPD. The administration in the City and Department will do anything to hand you to the wolves, whether you are right or wrong, if the optics to certain groups, or the media don't look right. And COPA has a mandate from the city administration to keep upping the numbers of sustained CR#'s on coppers. If you are still hell bent on being the Police, go suburban or FED. At least in the suburbs, you can carry over your pension time from PD to PD in Illinois (mostly), whereas if you have time on the city, it almost always won't carry over to the burbs and visa versa.

Comment

I can't tell you what to do with your life bro. Do what makes you happy I say that for real because I personally can't sit on a desk it's not for me. I love the job but the job doesn't love me back. I used to love this city...I don't recognize it anymore. The Chicago I remember was better than this. It wasn't perfect but not this. This is still home and no surprise I work here. Southside born and raised. Most of my family is here so this is all I know. "Back each other up and make it to check off" that is what were told and that is the goal every night, one day at a time. I could definitely write a book from what I've experienced in my short career here. I could probably work anywhere after this and I'm keeping my options open at that. My advice to you is to put that degree to use and if you choose you still want to be in the law enforcement field there are a ton of places and the jobs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AspiringChicagoCop View Post

If you are serious about law enforcement, you aren't too old. I was 34 when I started my first job with an LE agency, and I'd been out of school seven years. It was a big career change and pay cut but worth it. I spent about three years trying to get in. It's better to start late than not at all.

Comment

I'm younger than you, fresh onto the CPD ride. I'm going to add my two cents because maybe hearing the opinion of someone in your age group and close to your law enforcement experience level will be valuable for you. Anyway: do what you want. You already know what you're signing up for, you know the public sentiment, you know every group under the Sun will have you under a microscope. Knowing that, you have absolutely nothing to be bitter about. Hell, in my opinion, it's only up from here. I digress. If its what you want to do and you genuinely believe you're capable of being a good officer, regardless, do that ****.

There are guys in the academy in their 30s. Don't stress it, you're fine.

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I see that you keep changing your profile every time you set off the BS detector.

I would believe that your "experience" is zero.

As an honorably retired police officer, my experience, and more importantly my successful experience, would be the opposite of zero.

As an FTO (Field Training Officer), I trained and evaluated many new hires during my career. In all my years, I have never been wrong about a new hire.

And to go back to profiles, my profile is and always has been, completely accurate. My ranch is in Texas, but I have never claimed that my law enforcement service was here. I started my career working in a gang-infested area of a major metropolis, and worked there for years. I have been places, and I have done things.

• Evolution5k
                        Evolution5k commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Keep changing" Yes, I took "CPD" off of my profile as those struggling with personal mental battles feel inclined to constantly check it and tarnish anonymity. Secondly, you may find this unexpected, but, speaking pleasantly, it matters absolutely zero to me who you believe yourself to be.

If you were not aware, you come across as very cynical. I sense that, for some reason, you believe you're better than other people and that your thoughts/opinions carry more weight. For example, "honorably retired," as if you're the queen's knight or something: ridiculous.

Regardless, I'm thankful that you're not serving any community. Know a better generation of officers is filling the spots that terrify you so much. Officers that, at the very least, can realize that they're no more important or deserving of respect than what they provide. Whilst you sit reminiscing, find solace in that we'll still be out here long after father time meets with you.

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This kid isn't gonna make it...

• Evolution5k
                        Evolution5k commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you for your opinion, citizen.

Last edited by southpaw1; 07-02-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your heart is in the right place.

Chicago does needs cops, much in the same way that Japan needed Kamikaze pilots. The real question here, is whether it is in the OP's best interests to be the one to climb into the plane.

• southpaw1
                        southpaw1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Whoa okay now that's an exaggeration. In my defense I got on way before it got where its at.
                        Last edited by southpaw1; 06-30-2021, 01:23 PM.

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's not an exaggeration. What the OP is talking about, is buying a ticket for the Titanic...

Get hired by CPD. Gain your experience for at least 2 years, then lateral out of state or to the suburbs.

Comment

• southpaw1
                        southpaw1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Exactly bro. Some friends went to suburbs, Florida, Texas, DEA, etc. A few years here is good experience. You quite literally hit the ground running here when you hit the streets.

As a current Chicago PO i would say HELL NO unless your looking to gain experience and then lateral to the feds or suburbs. Ive got my experience down, its application time. So long Chicago

Comment

To the OP look elsewhere! I'm officially starting to look at lateralling as well. After getting multiple back to back mass shootings and extended tours, cancelled days and people still want to fight us when were trying to save people. Yeah my heart is in the right place but were human beings too.
                        Last edited by southpaw1; 07-04-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• LeoBravo
                          LeoBravo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Canceled days off/12hour shifts especially on holidays is the new norm

• southpaw1
                          southpaw1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LeoBravo I know bro I'm been dealing with this garbage on the front lines through all of it.

• LeoBravo
                          LeoBravo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          southpaw1 Worked 20 days straight last summer! Glad to be done with the bs.
                          Start applying. EVERYWHERE is hiring but not everyone has experience and/or certified.

• southpaw1
                          southpaw1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LeoBravo Same...right there with you working 3 weeks straight. I'm seriously considering it. I'm on day 10 right now.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3970 users online. 262 members and 3708 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X