Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have some really great points Zutana . Definitely use the down time in the academy to study for tests, practice handcuffing and tactics, etc. You are in the academy to make those mistakes there and learn. You eff up...OWN IT! Big deal might have to write a to/from. I actually never thought that I would be writing those my entire career so it's practice lol. You want a day off nowadays you have to write a to/from way in advance so it's not all for when you mess up. Work together and help each other get through it. Those are some of the best bonds you'll make on this job are in the academy. Have fun and make the best of it.

When the instructors tell you that you might work with them or back them up one day I can tell you that a handful returned to the streets and I have backed up and worked with so its true. Continue to learn everyday. I know that I do. Realistically you're not going to know a lot when hit the streets. The reality is you'll have some foundation but you're going to learn police work by actually doing it. The academy can only prepare you so much. For example we had a person with a gun call recently and guy was fighting and had a gun on him. The training and experience will kick in and emergency cuffing comes with practice. So if you practice cuffing together on the mats make it realistic but don't hurt each other. Some people are cool and compliant when the cuffs go on but then you got the fighters or ones that will run on you. The positioning for cuffing if possible to minimize an attack is very important. So listen to what they're telling you.

Don't be doing arrests 99 if you're working alone. I never understood that. Wait for your partner or backup. Learn the streets, study the maps, the grid system if you're not from here, know what landmarks that are near you. That's all on you. You turn a corner take a mental snapshot or say it for your partner even if you're not on a job. It's a good habit especially going to a 1A job. Stuff happens and you might on-view something.

I also want to say the department as a whole gets a bad rap because of the people in charge which is outside of our control but hats off to the people that continue to show up and wear the CPD uniform everyday and show great restraint and do their jobs. As someone said you could literally do everything right and still be wrong here. I work with some of the of the hardest working people and we not only work in the busiest part of the city, we are one of the busiest districts in the entire country. In one SHIFT or tour of duty we can regularly deal with multiple people shot or several shootings, crazy domestics, mental health disturbances, multiple shots fired calls or Shot spotter alerts, person with a gun calls, carjackings. We have to call out the gunfire regularly and casually its unfortunate but it literally is that crazy here.

You're going to see a lot of stuff quicker especially in these busier places. The nicer districts are no longer that so they can keep spitting that lie to people. It's very obvious to anyone that lives here. This job isn't for everyone but always happy to have new people to help out. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Someone has to do this so thank you guys for being crazy enough to join us lol. Take care.
    PO Ella Grace French CPD EOW 07 AUG 21

Comment

• Anyone know when the next academy class is?

Comment

• gadams22
        gadams22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where you at in the process?

• gadams22 I took my poly on May 14, haven’t heard anything since. Still waiting on FPT and Psych

Comment

• Originally posted by Klay View Post
        Anyone know when the next academy class is?
        ASAP I’m sure!

Comment

• Next class is end of June. the 27th I believe, another class of 100.

Comment

• chi1448
            chi1448 commented
            Editing a comment
            It starts June 30th! Got my NTR on Wednesday

• I’m in the academy now, we started June 1st. Any questions feel free to message me. Good luck to everyone and I’ll see you in there.

Comment

• Have NTRs been sent out already for the upcoming academy?

Comment

• Dang3rdoom45
              Dang3rdoom45 commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't worry I didn't get my NTR till almost the last minute. Just check your email and spam carefully

• How's the first day going? How many showed up?
            PO Ella Grace French CPD EOW 07 AUG 21

Comment

• I hear a total of 95 started yesterday.. one was late got smoked and walked out never came back .. I hear they had verbal judo today and another 2 walked out the door to much pressure I guess …

Comment

• 508NAVY
                508NAVY commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you show up late on the first day?! How in the actual F word does that happen?!

I barely slept the night before because of anticipation. If a person actually did that, I wouldn’t let them walk in the door. Sorry for waisting our time. NEXT candidate. I wouldn’t even waste my time smoking them either.

• 508NAVY.. I hear you .. applicants actually arrive late to orientation for instance mine was at 12p some arrived 1230p others 1300 like damn don’t they know how to read ? In the email it clearly states everything you need to do prior to the orientation date and on orientation day and they still manage to mess things up.. on orientation they tell you bring a suite jacket Because you will be in business attire believe me when I tell you that not all come wearing one ! Then we all end up getting smoked people can’t follow simple instructions!!

Comment

• 508NAVY
                508NAVY commented
                Editing a comment
                I was in metro, and we had people showing up with no suit jackets, some had smart watches when we were clearly told NO smart watches.

Just stupid **** all around.

One of the issues I saw and called people out on their bull**** was the parking problem. “I couldn’t find a spot”. BS, the garage by the madhouse is open, people didn’t want to pay, so they drive around looking for one.

The Whitney Young School hates cops, and the instructors after the power test said as much. They explained how many spots they had not utilized, and the school REFUSED to let the academy use them.

• Does anyone know the start date to classes through the rest of 2022?

Comment

• jairopadilla94
                jairopadilla94 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just passed my FPT on August 6, lined up for academy start date of August 31st if psych and medical results come back before the 24th which is “paperwork day”. They said they’re looking at a class every last day of the month for the remainder of 2022.

• Is it true also that the final power test they don’t even pass/fail anyone?

Comment

• They are shooting for one new class a month that starts around the beginning of the month. FPT must be passed to move to next step, if you fail however you are allowed to return at a later date to test that particular aspect of it. You are essentially stuck until you can pass it.

Comment

• RS91
                  RS91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you know how long it takes to get a call from your investigator after finishing the poly graph exam? I did my polygraph exam on May 4, 2022 and I haven't heard since. I called three times and I'm always transfered to my investigator but he never picks up. I leave a voicemail and still nothing till this day. I have even emailed them and nothing. For some reason I feel like I probably failed the polygraph exam. Is there anything else I could do?

• RS91 no news is always good news if they have not sent you a letter / email saying that you failed the polygraph then you are good no worries this is all a waiting game you’ll hear from them when you least expect it and when you do hear from them they will expect you to work at their pace !! (Quick)

Comment

• Did a class start this month?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3304 users online. 205 members and 3099 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X