300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 30 too old to become an officer?

Is 30 years old too old to become an officer? I am now 28 and want to be CPD but am afraid by the next time CPD gives another test I will be 30 before I would have a chance to get hired. Are there any PO's who got hired for their first time in their 30's?

Originally posted by CPDhopeful View Post
    Is 30 years old too old to become an officer? I am now 28 and want to be CPD but am afraid by the next time CPD gives another test I will be 30 before I would have a chance to get hired. Are there any PO's who got hired for their first time in their 30's?
    There were people in my class that were turning 40 while they were in the acadmey.

Comment

I am 34.. i know a 44 year old who is also interested

Comment

I'm on the Feb'06 list and I turned 30 a couple months ago. In terms of the other applicants, I didn't feel particularly old while at the various testing and exam sessions. I did notice during the POWER test, they split us into age (20-29 or 30-39) and gender groups for the different standards. I think there was only 3 or 4 in the latter group to perhaps 40 in the former. I was 29 at the time and am looking forward to the loosened POWER age requirements.

Comment

My class had like 6 or 7 people over 35. And all of them wound up excelling in the academy. My class president was 33.
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

We have many people over 30 in our class right now. No sweat.

Comment

I'm 34 and have no doubt I can finish the academy....you'll be fine!! I'm 34, that means I have 31 years before I am a Sr Citizen....my kids will be 36 and 34 before I retire. I can bench 280, do 43 sit ups in a min, run 1.5 miles in 13.15 (working on it every week)...30's is nothing! Again u are fine!!
              Plus we get a less standard on the fitness test!!
              Last edited by 0311Grunt; 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I was 33 in the academy and did fine. As long as you're in decent shape the PT portion of the academy really isn't a big deal. I outran alot of the younger guys in my class. It all depends on your fitness level. I had two people in there 40's in my class and several of us were in our 30's. All of us graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by ts622 View Post
                  I was 33 in the academy and did fine. As long as you're in decent shape the PT portion of the academy really isn't a big deal. I outran alot of the younger guys in my class. It all depends on your fitness level. I had two people in there 40's in my class and several of us were in our 30's. All of us graduated.
                  When they had no age requirement, I can say that is seemed that the older you were when you came on the job, the less you wanted to do when you got out on the street.

Nothing worse than a 50 year old P.P.O. in field training to say, I'm too old for this, too old for that!

33 is fine even 40 is ok. But any older than that and the percentage of the I'm to old for...crowd begins to increase and for a P.P.O. it is very frustrating to those around them.

Comment

No offense to my young brothers and sisters but I personally think that coming onto the job in your late 20's early 30's is the best time. By that time you've probably had alot of work experience, have matured, and are still physically able to do the job. This certainly doesn't apply to everyone but more than a couple of the 22-24yr crowd in my class had the mindset of "Just give me a gun and let me go". I mean, most of them went straight from their parent's house, to college, and were now at the academy. No real life experience. And just to clarify, this does not apply to everyone. There are dogs out there of all ages.

Comment

Originally posted by ts622 View Post
                      No offense to my young brothers and sisters but I personally think that coming onto the job in your late 20's early 30's is the best time. By that time you've probably had alot of work experience, have matured, and are still physically able to do the job. This certainly doesn't apply to everyone but more than a couple of the 22-24yr crowd in my class had the mindset of "Just give me a gun and let me go". I mean, most of them went straight from their parent's house, to college, and were now at the academy. No real life experience. And just to clarify, this does not apply to everyone. There are dogs out there of all ages.
                      No bull I agree with Ts. I am bleesed that I have started at 26 versuses my early 20's. I grew up and matured a lot in the 3 years I waited. During that time a gained some very valuable life expierience.
                      My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

just got hired three months ago and I'm 30...

Comment

Currently with the county, June 06 tester with CPD waiting on the POWER and I turned 30 last week. 30 is not old! ;p

Comment

33 here, I don't think I could have done the work I do now at 23........

Comment

I decided to become a police officer after my daughter was finished with school. When I went to school I was 44, graduated and 2 weeks later I turned 45. I was hired by my PD 2 months later.

Good luck to you.
                              If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4480 users online. 266 members and 4214 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X